MAF - is it really needed?

ToxicNeo

Hi all,

Recently I've noticed that my 2001 PD100 has been really sluggish - no real pull through any of the gears and wouldn't pass 75 unless going down hill! After reading this forum a bit I disconnected my MAF. What a difference - it pulls like it used to a few years ago, and it feels like it has a lot more power.

Now, I'm getting a new MAF from ECP tomorrow, but I don't have an engine light on, and there seems to be nothing wrong with the car whilst the sensor is disconnected - so my question is 'What are the long term effects, if any, of not having the MAF connected?'

Just asking as I've been running it all weekend and will be tomorrow and maybe a couple of days after until I get the new part fitted - just don't want to do any major damage to the engine.

Thanks guys, 

Got the new MAF from ECP today, shall get it fitted in a few days.

If the car is on a 'safe' map for now, can wait to get the new MAF fitted to see the performance - should be exciting!

Thanks

Hi Luke,

Yeah am still standard at the mo. Think mine went like yours did, noticed it just got more slow and didnt have much push. I'm loving it now though, thrashing it around. Think I definitely need a remap now, and some better tyres!

Yeah I did thanks mate - saved me a fortune them shocks & springs did!

I'm thinking about getting bigger alloys when I can afford it, maybe just some standard vrs ones and some decent tyres. Then move on to brakes and then performance.