East European Trip

Just back from an epic trip round eastern Europe. From Amsterdam travelled through Holland into Germany, then on to Poland and up into Lithuania and Latvia. Roads varied from autobahn to rutted dirt tracks and the Scout took it all in its stride. Best days average mpg was 65mpg! The worst fuel consumption was the fast autobahn days at around 44mpg with the trip average around mid 50's. Maximum speed was confirmed at just over 120mph at which the car felt really stable and relaxed.

post-52008-0-84015000-1379609912_thumb.jpg

post-52008-0-53354600-1379609933_thumb.jpg

post-52008-0-54010600-1379609950_thumb.jpg

post-52008-0-36918800-1379609966_thumb.jpg

post-52008-0-70675800-1379609978_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Did you have much fun whilst driving in Lithuania? What do you think of the roads there?  Every time i go back there my hair stand up in the places where i thought they dont grow lol purely because the road conditions and driving culture. Most of the garages are fully booked in few weeks in advance and no wonder why. 

I usually drive to Germany once or twice a year but am thinking about driving to Kiev this year to visit in law's. My concerns are that driving in February it's a good chance i'll be found in a snow drift about April, if that is i dont drive into a pond sized pot hole before that !!, round where my wife's folks live it is not unusual to have to move out of the way of cars driving down the pavement's..

Edited by Gazman

Worst roads were Latvia in so far as we drove a lot of gravel and dirt track minor roads. In Lithuania it was mainly main roads. The Latvians and Lithuanians do some manic overtakes, forcing cars onto the verge at times, but at least the verge is wide and good tarmac, almost a hard shoulder. Russian drivers are just plain crazy and will overtake anywhere even a blind bend, not because they are travelling much faster, they seem to just need to be ahead!!! Generally roads throughout Europe are better than UK and in the eastern countries the lack of traffic makes up for the lower quality surfaces. Speed limit in Latvia is just 90 kph.

One thing I found very hard to get used to was the lack of road markings at junctions in Latvia and sometimes when a couple of roads met it was just an expanse of tarmac with some vague signs before, even the locals seemed confused!

Ah yes the journey across europe.....I love it....and well done to you for driving that epic journey. Polish potholes on the back roads are scary.....I never forget taking my mondy 6 years ago and just crapping myself driving 10mph down the pot hole ridden road.....the best bit of the journey was my gps took me the wrong way and i ended up on this old back road which had cobble stones.....it rattled my fillings out of place.....This years journey was smooth.....until i got back to the UK....plenty of potholes here to contend with.....:D.... Congrats and well done...

Worst roads were Latvia in so far as we drove a lot of gravel and dirt track minor roads. In Lithuania it was mainly main roads. The Latvians and Lithuanians do some manic overtakes, forcing cars onto the verge at times, but at least the verge is wide and good tarmac, almost a hard shoulder. Russian drivers are just plain crazy and will overtake anywhere even a blind bend, not because they are travelling much faster, they seem to just need to be ahead!!! Generally roads throughout Europe are better than UK and in the eastern countries the lack of traffic makes up for the lower quality surfaces. Speed limit in Latvia is just 90 kph. One thing I found very hard to get used to was the lack of road markings at junctions in Latvia and sometimes when a couple of roads met it was just an expanse of tarmac with some vague signs before, even the locals seemed confused!

Some of the Latvian dirt/gravel roads are straight!! just wish I had my 4x4 instead of a hired VW Polo. Very low the speed limits and always plenty of police with speed cameras well hidden!!! Taken somewhere near Tevetes; the town does have a brewery, the beer is very good, and the drink drive limit is zero. 

IMG_3102_zps224378eb.jpg