Had a test drive Vrs tdi

Local dealer rang me to say they got in a Vrs tdi combi just for 2 days. So I went in for a look yesterday at 3pm.

It was a white combi in manual, I'm not sure what to say to be honest,the interior was very nice and it drove quiet well too but not far off my mkll, I didn't notice much difference in power ether,it still had the road noise like the mkll as well.

The ride was a tad better than the mkll but u could still feel bad surfaces quiet well all the same. I didn't think there was a night and day difference over my own if I'm honest. My own is a 2012 Vrs tdi with 17k km.

I will probably buy one when the time comes but I must say I wasn't wowed at all :( was expecting more.

I don't like combi ether so I'll wait to see the hatch.

• Like 1

As above. People's opinions depend largely upon past experience and you are comparing an older version of the same model. It is similar to moving from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5, slightly bigger, slightly faster, better specs and prettier, yet feels very similar.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

Local dealer rang me to say they got in a Vrs tdi combi just for 2 days. So I went in for a look yesterday at 3pm.

It was a white combi in manual, I'm not sure what to say to be honest,the interior was very nice and it drove quiet well too but not far off my mkll, I didn't notice much difference in power ether,it still had the road noise like the mkll as well.

The ride was a tad better than the mkll but u could still feel bad surfaces quiet well all the same. I didn't think there was a night and day difference over my own if I'm honest. My own is a 2012 Vrs tdi with 17k km.

I will probably buy one when the time comes but I must say I wasn't wowed at all :( was expecting more.

I don't like combi ether so I'll wait to see the hatch.

Pretty much sums up the test drive that I had as well.

I used to have a PD vRS, and when I drove the FL CR vRS I knew that that was the car that I really wanted. It seemed to be a significant step forward IMHO.

The new car is probably better around, it just didn't wow me.

As much as I would have liked to buy one Ive more or less decided it doesnt offer enough improvement or value for money to justify trading up from my Jan 13 Blackline DSG estate.

finance quotations have come back way off the mark and has made me realise what a good deal I got with buying a last off the line MK2.

There is also the question that 25k to get me into the vRS of my choice seems a bit rich still, 0% finance or not. Its almost like yesterdays 20k cars are slowly becoming 30k cars but in my mind dont offer the build or development prowess of a bonafide 30k premium car like a 3 series or C class merc.

• Like 1

You guys need to change cars less often!

Plus a top spec VRS is a better place to be and drive than a base-spec Merc C. A top spec Merc C (the one you actually want) is high 40s or even 50k.

• Like 1

You guys need to change cars less often!

Plus a top spec VRS is a better place to be and drive than a base-spec Merc C. A top spec Merc C (the one you actually want) is high 40s or even 50k.

Id debate whether a MK3 vRS is nicer inside than a AMG Sport or Sport Plus to be honest, it is almost certainly not going to be made from the same quality materials as are used on the Merc or probably last anything like as well.

A C220 CDi AMG Sport would be barely any slower (if at all) than a TDi vRS and if you shop around you'll pay vRS money for a nearly new one.

Id bet a C250 CDi is barely any slower than a TSi, a 350 CDi would massacre it (it only outputs 457lb ft of torque after all).

40-50k you are honestly talking lower end newish C63 money, yes Id love one but can I afford a 450hp car daily runner with a realistic 18-20mpg economy....no i cant, in fact I certainly couldnt afford one full stop.

Each to their own and only my opinion but I'll almost certainly consider a different marque (not necessarily Merc) next time around unless the offers improve. There are quite a few premium cars available nearly new with silly list prices that are verging on new vRS money and im starting to think they are more interesting. Big appeal for me with Skoda was the bang per buck, the amountnof car you got for your £'s....not so much the case now with people seemingly happily dropping 26/27k on a vRS.

Edited by pipsyp

Compare apples to apples, new to new, second hand to second hand. And an AMG Sport version isn't exactly base spec, now is it? :)

I bet you can get some impressive deals on nearly new VRSs in acouple of months time.

One of skoda's main selling points has been a combination of value for money coupled with VAG build quality. compared to the current opposition the mkIII holds up well I guess, but against the mkII, especially when the various offers were on it just can't compete IMO. So currently Skoda are likely to attract new business from other marques, but I suspect they will have to do more to encourage (the majority of) late mkII owners to change in the next couple of yearsif they don't want to loose existing customers. guess that will depend somewhat on how many switch from elsewhere.

A son of Blackline in a couple of years time would help no end.

• Like 1