electric mirror fault

mrgf

my passenger side electric mirror has developed a fault...

it operates in the left-right field but wont operate in the up-down field. the heater works, as does the right mirror, suggesting the fault lies in the up-down movement of the mirror motor. it seems to have just "failed", with no known impacts etc causing it to!

any suggestions, explanations on how to remove the glass, dismantle/inspect the internals would be greatly appreciated.

in warranty?

does it whir as though trying to move? or silent/totally dead?

do you often fold the mirror in? if so could be wiring cracked

never had to deal with a dodgy mirror, someone with a parts diagram and wiring diagram would be starting point

four years old, so no warranty. never folded the passenger one, till today! No noises on testing up-down, only on left-right. Noticed it stopped working after a trio to cornwall, covering about a thousand miles in all weather/speeds.

• 2 weeks later...

So now, I am wanting to remove the door cap in order to inspect the interior of the mirror....

I have seen a guide which states, remove plastic frame, then top cap... There is no mention of removing the glass, so HOW does one remove the frame, with the glass in situ? Is it just gentle prising? do you need to start from a particular point? Or do you HAVE to remove the glass first?  ANYONE KNOW?

DONE THE JOB... It turned out to be a snapped wire in the passengers door wiring, that is inside the concertina-bellows-like thing between the door and cabin.

Temporary fix with a 5 amp block connector, whilst I check if its worth replacing the loom. If too difficult/expensive, a more permanent, soldered in lump of wiring will go in with a bit of shrink rapping.

Forgot to mention a big thank you to Richard, at Preston Skoda, Forest Gate, East London, for help and advice... He is the one who put me on to the wiring being a fairly common issue!