Amundsen+ and Raspberry Pi

Jock

I'm trying to install a Raspberry Pi in my Yeti and was intending to use an old laptop display for the display, however I was just wondering if there was a way to use the display on the Amundsen+ - i.e. is there a video in?

Has anyone here done this before?

• Like 1

Some time ago, I bought an Arduino for a particular project (which is still on-going) because it seemed easier than developing discrete circuitry. I was so fascinated with this little device that the project has now exceeded it's original scope about tenfold!

I happened to mention to my dear wife that I was interested in a Raspberry Pi and in particular its ability to work with a CCTV camera, so for our recent wedding anniversary, she presented me with a 'Pi and said, "How about putting it in the car with a CCTV camera and accessing it via WiFi?" (I have to say, my wife really understands me and my desire to tinker with stuff!)

That started it all - of course it can do so much more and it doesn't have to be connected to a display, (it's running at the moment as a headless machine), but a local display would just be fun to try and implement!

that is a GREAT idea with the Pi in the car!

control would be an issue, need a remote or mouse. im not sure you could get the factory touch screen to pass that information on to the Pi.

cant help with the screen input though, but as as RainbowFire mentioned, the reverse camera might be a good option. and its a composite video input - would be perfect for the Pi's composite output.

hmm I might buy another one...........

On the Yeti, there is a pop-out for a "sunglasses holder" - the space can be utilised more productively by installing the PI in there.

I already have the PI working headless WiFi and can connect to it from the house when the car is parked outside. I am having some issues with the camera (a cheap USB device I had lying about), but that's solvable with some software tinkering.

Connecting a laptop display to the PI isn't difficult from what I've read and I can use a small bluetooth keyboard/trackpad (off eBay) for input, although the whole thing can easily be automated and just use miniature switches for option selection. Looks like I might have to stick a small powered USB hub somewhere too!

What I really need to do is to finish my current project before I start on this one though! I just got carried away! :-)

that's not a bad spot to keep it, with the case it might be a little too large.

anyway, I have the XBMC keyboard thingo that you can get from element14. its good, but too large and fiddly for the car. IMO get one from ebay they are about AUD$20 delivered, so probably 12-13 pounds for you guys.

what distro are you running on it?

In the Octavia, if you remove the central fascia and then the heating controls, there is quite a large space. The controls themselves are only about an inch deep. Looks like the same may be true with the Yeti.

At the moment, I'm running Raspbian Wheezy - now got the CCTV camera connected and using Motion I can monitor the camera from home as long as the Yeti has a usable WiFi signal.

I've just discovered a Can bus board for the 'Pi ... that opens up a whole lot of possibilities!

• 4 months later...

At the moment, I'm running Raspbian Wheezy - now got the CCTV camera connected and using Motion I can monitor the camera from home as long as the Yeti has a usable WiFi signal.

I've just discovered a Can bus board for the 'Pi ... that opens up a whole lot of possibilities!

hmmm.. presumably with a can bus board it would be possible to make your own vcds style diagnostics and run actuators etc...?

Very interesting...

Hi Jock!

Well, I have the Pi, I have the Amundsen+ ... and I will certainly follow this thread up close ... :-)

Hope you will continue to present your findings here, Pi in combination with a Can bus board sounds like a lot of fun, and a lot of possibilities indeed ...

• 2 years later...

Any update to this topic?

I'm working on a GPS/Dashcam for my Superb, got most of it working on the bench but now looking to install in the vehicle.

Got 12v to 5v DC-DC converter and piggy back fuse in transit. Trying to figure out where best to seat the Pi.

Would be good if I can connect to the Columbus unit. Was thinking of trying a media server on the Pi as my Columbus has wifi/dlna capabilities which would allow playback of the dashcam footage. 

pinout from rns315 is probably same as rns510... check on this page http://www.my-gti.com/529/volkswagen-rns-510-pin-assignments (section " Multi-pin connector 5, audio and video, 26-pin")

to connect after market camera(or any input) to HU you will also need converter like this http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/shop/parts/cvbs-to-rgb-rear-view-camera-2/