Extended warranty

Extended warranty   

14 members have voted

1. 1. Take out the extended warranty

Just want to see what peoples opinion is on skoda extended warranty there asking 10 payment of £39.90 month or a one of payment of £399 for the year is it worth taking out or save the money the warranty will be on 2009 tfsi with dsg on about 45000 miles.

One advantage of Warranty Direct is that when I took out a policy with them last year there was a choice of 1, 2 or 3 years, and I thought that the 3 year policy was both good value and would be a help if and when I decided to sell the car (which it was as it can be easily transfered to the new owner).

I would find a cheaper one somewhere else if you can with good level of cover. I paid £400 and something for an additional 2 years unlimited mileage warranty &RAC when I ordered the car new. That will always be the cheapest time to get a warranty but still seems to be a lot for 12 months. Are there many thing's your worried about which may cost you over £400 to fix? Common faults etc? Or is it just the peace of mind thing? 

ps. I assume this includes roadside etc? 

I was quoted £499 by a Skoda Dealer for 2 years of cover under the Skoda Approved Extended Warranty starting when my car's 3 year manufacturer's warranty expires this December. Opting for sssistance (ie Europe wide breakdown cover) would cost an extra £100.

I made a tentative enquiry with my dealer about what I should do in 2 years time and they said they arranged one that had better cover and costs less and to talk to them closer to the end of my existing SUK 3 year warrenty so looks like thr SUK one gets the thumbs down from me.

Some people will tell you to put the money aside and use it to cover any out of warranty repairs - if nothing goes wrong then of course you've still got your money.

Depends if you're up for gambling or not.

If you like the odds of less than £400 worth of repairs required to a vehicle in a year then don't buy it, put the cash aside instead. If however you feel a large bill is always a possibility - £399 is a bargain if for example a cambelt decides to snap.

• Like 1

I presume if you take an extended warranty then the car has to be dealer serviced. I had a service plan which has now finished and as car is out of warranty at end of November was going to service it myself. I usually always service my own cars and keep all the receipts for the parts used.

I have literally just renewed my policy for a year via CSMA car care plan, cost £256 for 06 plate Octavia VRS Tfsi 78,000 miles

Over the years I've made several hassle free claims and for example last years air con claim covered the outlay - and at more convenient time than "oh €@£K where am I going to find hundreds in January after Chrimbo!"

Have a look and see if you or family members past or present jobs mean you can join, cheap PROMPT recovery - by local garages too. Beats 2 hour plus waiting times that you seem to get with the big two recovery agents. God reading this back I sound old!!!!

The only reason I'm getting this is coz my last car played up when the manufacturers warranty ran out and they pasted my details on to a cheaper warranty company I had to claim and it was hassle from start to finish ended up selling the car and buying this one which I love but I have already claimed for some oil seals that's while I'll be happier with a warranty in place and my money tree is looking a bit bare so don't need any big repair bills.