Its good to have the old girl back

More bits from TPS

image_zps438e3d69.jpg

image_zps51c24c61.jpg

timing belt kit, aux belt, vag sealant, after run pump, thermostat, slave cylinder, crank case breather housing gasket, complete piston ring set and crank cam belt pulley bolt. Just waiting on new crank thrush washers

Well thats the crank and rod/piston assy balanced now, picking them up today:)
cos i was only getting the crank done got it for £90 all in, normally more if flywheel was geting the same treatment.
They did ask for it but i argued that when its clutch changing time then the balance will pointless.
Plus im getting the LOBA stage 2 SMF kit which is lightened and balanced so happy days then.

Well some intresting parts came through, the Thrust washers for the crank which looked no where near like the old ones and tps were saying these are the part numbers for my BAM, which clearly isnt right

The top ones are the originals and bottom ones are what tps sent me
image_zpsaa2cb9a2.jpg
so the correct ones are coming today:) 026 105 635 A
the wrong ones were 06A105637A which look like its for the older 1.8t blocks which have 4 thrust washers where as the BAM only has 2.
image_zps937f8356.jpg
New clutch bleeder which is metal instead of the plastic oem so wont flex so im hoping this will make my LOBA clutch on/off feel more precious

• Like 1

Well this morning I've removed and fitted the new clutch slave cylinder and checked the gearbox input shaft oil seal and its not leaking:)

fitted the new clutch bleeder

image_zps5404cc05.jpg

image_zps2ef406a2.jpg

image_zps873476b6.jpg

also picked up the newly balanced crankshaft and con rod assy from Agra machine shop, just a baw hair out they said lol

image_zpsb1d5e043.jpg

image_zps353afc5a.jpg

image_zpsa63bc2d5.jpg

image_zpsbdbcd784.jpg

image_zps0aa1f85a.jpg

The saga continues

Ring gaping

image_zpse14d1e33.jpg

image_zps44106d9a.jpg

image_zps481e1095.jpg

followed by plastigauging the big end oil clearance

image_zps3276106e.jpg

image_zpse5013572.jpg

All within spec so on to clocking the rings and sliding the pistons into their respective bores

image_zps4b19dc89.jpg

New oil pump c/w new pick up line and chain tensioner

image_zps528c9c3a.jpg

image_zpse0d9867f.jpg

image_zps5622fb23.jpg

the white numbers is for main cap order and which orientation

New front and rear crank oil seal flange

image_zpsfcd7b42e.jpg

image_zps10f658d2.jpg

This one was a pita to fit due to the inward fold of the seal that surrounds the flywheel mount. The fold has to be folded over the flywheel mount without getting caught and being bent back on itself. Had to remove the engine stand in the end as it kept folding outward rather than inward.

Sump on and sealed

image_zps47921024.jpg

image_zps5871ea36.jpg

ARP head stud kit in

image_zps8ca666a7.jpg

image_zps9967795b.jpg

Any body with experience with this head stud kit know if you gotta re-torque the nuts after a couple hundred miles?

And because I could lol

image_zps8372c728.jpg

Edited by skud missile
  • Like 1

We'll look what turned up in the mail today :)

image_zps8fb67099.jpg

image_zps613ceecb.jpg

Pipewerx 3" down pipe and sports cat, going Hybrid as where moving in dec and can't afford a whole Garrett kit due to solicitor fees and the missus is going mad with the S3 build which I'm really gutted but a hybrid KO4 will get the car close to what I want and maybe in the future I'll go Garrett. Just need the LOBA320 and I'll be happy with that

lol, if the KO4 wasnt cracked i was planning on putting it in the octy for a laugh but then id have to do the rods as well in the octy and change them from 19mm to 20mm wrist pin with pistons to match

Rods in any 1.8t can go on even a stage 1 map. Obviously the AMK, BAM codes have 20mm wrist pins where the other codes have 19mm which is arguably weaker.

Well today I fitted the new clutch kit and got the gearbox and block mated back together and ran the first bolt in before I released id forgotten to fit the metal gasket between the gearbox and block....Doh!!!

so off it came again and was even harder to put back on as the fecking metal gasket kept coming off and fouling the 2 dowel.

The head is completely remanufactured and for £450 cash if you know what I mean:):)

needed 2 new exhaust valves as they were burnt to feck and. A light skim and it's sparkling so will be fitting tomorrow and hopefully back in the car by sat and start running in.

Also BBT has acquired a good condition KO4 for me today for his hybrid make over:)

image_zps0596dff5.jpg

image_zps1a68ead1.jpg

image_zps82b54246.jpg

That's the head back. Practically brand new:)

so it's head on, a few hoses, turbo and back in the S3.

Tomorrow's gonna be a long day then I'm in Kuwait on Sunday so hope to have the engine running toot sweet by end of play sat:)

image_zps361d4c87.jpg

image_zpsdca61516.jpg

£400 in the end so happy with that:)

• Like 1

Here`s the rest of the pics from installing the engine back into the S3
image1_zps5cb131bf.jpeg
emptyenginebay1_zps71becd23.jpeg
image2_zpse97d6527.jpeg
image3_zps516bdd0b.jpeg
image4_zps29ce3327.jpeg
image5_zpsf9ae5813.jpeg
image6_zps72cc339f.jpeg