Citigo Gearbox Problem

swindonmale64

There is a slight glitch with Elsawin 4.0 & 4.1 Citigo gearboxes for 2013. I think Elsawin has not been fully updated for 2013 data?

If you select 2012 you get the following codes: -

60 ps CHYA Engine.   Gearbox codes    NTH, NTM, NZC & NZE

75 ps CHYB Engine     Gearbox codes   NTL, NTN, NZD & NZF

Ours has a slight click which sounds more like the clutch release bearing engaging/disengaging or maybe the auto clutch adjustment in-between settings? (just my thoughts)

I apologise my cruel words. Let's just blame language barrier because I'm still learning english.

One thing which might create problems is if you rest your hand on gear knob while driving. It's not good for gear box nor shifting mechanism.

I hope that dealers have tried to readjust the shift cables if any problems occur. It's quite simple task. I've done it for my Octavia and gear changes been a lot easier since. Actually we didn't have to open the gear box at all which was dealers solution for crunching second gear.

the box is a new design, straight cut gears for efficiency, ...

Are you sure there is straight cut gears? Reverse is of course, but forward gears too? That would be something really new for mass produced car. A bit hard to believe actually.

Edit: It seems that Citigo's 5-speed manual gearbox is 0CF. There is different versions depending model year and engine power. For example: NTK, NTM, NTL, NTN, NZC, NZE, NZD and NZF. Identification characters can be found on top of the gearbox, for example.

Edited by Emil

yes, straight cut gears on all forward gears, apparently reduces friction loses in gearbox by about 6% or something from memory will try and dig out the article

also low friction coating on loads of moving parts in engine and gearbox as well, fairly certain it was introduced on the fabia greenline 2 gearbox

Latest news.Picked the car up on Friday,car drove ok.Didn't use the car until Sunday,then - couldn't get it into first gear again!!! Brand new gearbox fitted,in a car that has covered just 2500 miles and still the same problem! Now the garage want it back in two weeks time,to check the cables.Getting really fed up with this now,I will never buy another another Skoda again.Googled this,and it seems it is quite a common problem across three models,not just Skoda.Guess I will just have to wait and see what they decide to do next,dont think I will be keeping this car long term though,I've been driving since 1968,and this is the worst gearbox I have ever come across!

There is obviously a problem with this but if you arent going to buy skoda you should also cross VW, Audi and SEAT off your list too.

VW dont have the best reputation for gearboxes over the past 15 years or so as i think they spend too much money trying to make audis look "cool" and too much time denying that common problems exist. I remember when i had my mark4 golf and the window dropped (common problem) VW said to me that they had never heard of it before and id have to wait a few days for the parts to come, on talking to the tech they had no parts because it was so common they had ran out and he was repairing on average 10 golfs a week!

However if the new gearbox doesnt do the trick then maybe that isnt the problem and its the clutch / linkage?

Oh dear...

Sorry to hear that fella :(

Worrying to hear more and more of this trouble I must say

Its very worrying. Its too common on the internet nowfor it not to be taken seriously  and its not as if the citigo/up/mii are massive sellers so there are loads of cars out there making the problem look worse than what it is.

They most likely saw the clutch when they replaced the gearbox. Now there might be abnormal wear external parts like cables and bushings. OR some kind of desing error at external shifting mechanism.

"swindonmale64": May I ask do you rest your arm or hand on gear shift? I know many does even if it's not recommended. It's actually forbidden if you read owner's manual carefully.

In the UK we have an expression...."you 'avin a larf?".  A witty little phrase which strictly speaking would be written..."Are you having a laugh?"  but which would be taken to mean..."surely you must be joking?"

Yes, I think we know that persistent resting of the hand on the gear lever could, over a long period of time, incur wear of certain components within a gearbox, such as the synchromesh rings, and as such isn't recommended. Furthermore it could easily be suggested that the steering wheel is the more appropriate place to rest ones hands upon in order to assist with the job of steering the thing.  But are you seriously saying that in all these new or almost new cars the cause is possibly/likely the drivers all resting their hands on the gear lever?

With regard to... OR some kind of desing error at external shifting mechanism..... there, I must admit you have the better of me.

Edited by oldstan

ok,

done some digging

gearbox is a MQ100 best details I can find is here http://skoda-fabia-israel.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/lmg-gearbox-aggregate-assignment-ratios.html

it is helical gears except reverse if you read the small print on the image

all the MQ100 boxes are produced by skoda for the whole VAG group

also some interesting info here about the car in general (all be it on the UP which is the same car with £1000 VW badges on front and back) http://under-the-skin.org.uk/news_volkswagen_up.html

the ASG is the same gearbox automated with electric motors and is designated SQ100

Edited by bluecar1

I believe they hardly ever tell jokes in owner's manual.

Oh, I'm not so sure.  If you look in the owner's manual, as you evidently often do, and refer to the claimed mpg I'd say that they could be considered a joke. Albeit not a very good one.

Incidentally for someone from a far away land such as yourself your punctuation is excellent, given you seek the forum's patience.....I apologise my cruel words.

I've noticed another intermittent issue with my clutch/gearbox.

I am sure I've pressed the clutch in to it's full reach, but when I select a gear they crunch as if the clutch is dragging. 

I've been driving for over 20 years, can heal and toe, and held a race licence etc, etc, etc... I don't think it's me.

Oh, I'm not so sure.  If you look in the owner's manual, as you evidently often do, and refer to the claimed mpg I'd say that they could be considered a joke. Albeit not a very good one.

Incidentally for someone from a far away land such as yourself your punctuation is excellent, given you seek the forum's patience.....I apologise my cruel words.

I forgive you, even if I don't quite understand what you are saying.

Reading the owner's manual is educational. I'm not ashamed to say i've read them.

"Claimed mpg" is a theory (not a lie) and it gives benefits for customer in some countries.

I can't help my self and I have to ask: Do you rest your arm on gear knob, or why you are so angry?

I got code 0CF for this manual transmission from the workshop manual.

I forgive you, even if I don't quite understand what you are saying.

Reading the owner's manual is educational. I'm not ashamed to say i've read them.

"Claimed mpg" is a theory (not a lie) and it gives benefits for customer in some countries.

I can't help my self and I have to ask: Do you rest your arm on gear knob, or why you are so angry?

I got code 0CF for this manual transmission from the workshop manual.

Having the benefit of DSG I don't have a gear knob as such....just what would be described as a gear selector I suppose.  And, no, I prefer to keep both hands on the steering wheel for the majority of the time.

MPG figures, in the UK, are formulated by the most impractical calculi for which the UK Govt. is responsible, rather than individual manufacturers.  I hear they're due for reform.  But we digress.

• 2 weeks later...

This letter from a VW UP! owner appears in the Times today.

My Volkswagen Up! is less than two years old and has done 22,000 miles. The clutch has been making odd noises when I change gear, and now my dealer tells me the car needs a new clutch plate at a cost of £700, and that this is not covered by the warranty. He insists this is the first such problem he has encountered on an Up!. Do you know if this is a common problem on this car, and whether £700 is excessive? AB, Leicester

And still my sorry saga goes on with my Citigo.

Nearly forgot, this was the reply.

All motor manufacturers exclude clutch failure from their warranties because bad driving habits such as using the clutch pedal as a footrest (known as “riding” the clutch), will cause the clutch plate or bearing to wear out prematurely. But even with that sort of abuse 22,000 miles is still very early for a clutch to wear out. The dealer should give you a much better explanation of what has gone wrong and why.

Some Up! owners have reported a clicking noise when the clutch pedal is released. It seems that dealers have tried various cures for this, from changing the pedal assembly to replacing the clutch, to doing nothing and saying it’s just a characteristic of the car.

Certainly a worn clutch plate is unlikely to make a noise when you change gear; a worn bearing is more likely. Your dealer should be able to show you the damaged part and explain why it needs replacing, because you don’t want to be buying a new clutch if the problem actually lies elsewhere.

The price of £700 you have been quoted is not unusual, though. A large proportion of the cost of replacement (as much as 40% in some cases) will be for labour because to get to the clutch, the gearbox has to be removed first. 

There's a lot about this over on the UP Forum. No definitive answer though.

This was his reply:

Upon reading the misfortune encountered by a fellow Up! owner, I began to consider the following:

Since VW do not include the clutch as a warrantable item, in the event of such failure, would the clutch still need to be replaced by an approved VW dealership workshop, in order to ensure validity of the manufacturers' warranty, or could the clutch replaced by an independent VW workshop, whose labour rates are likely to be cheaper?

Secondly, how many complaints/warranty claims would need to be made, before a VAG considered issuing a re-call, in order to rectify a common fault?

Thirdly, would VAG re-imburse the cost of a repair, later found to be subject of a re-call?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

• Like 1

If VW/Skoda do not want drivers to ride the clutch,provide the drivers with a footrest you cheap skates!.

There is a footrest. And you should not ride the clutch anyways.

Skoda and VW need to stop fobbing off their customers, that the clutch/gearbox is fine. They're hoping it fails outside of warranty so the customer picks up the bill. Rather they should understand the problem with the clutch find a fix and repair customers cars!

• Like 1