Citigo Gearbox Problem

swindonmale64

• 3 months later...

The gear box on my 75 elegance is now almost no longer tolerable.

I've had a 13 plate citigo as a courtesy car and it's practically silent compared to mine, has anyone figured out what's causing the noise?

Many thanks

Thin oil is good for fuel economy. But they may have done some changes for gearbox instead. Newer gearboxes seems to be quieter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think I saw that the reverse position had changed at some point, so.. new gearbox at some time?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think I saw that the reverse position had changed at some point, so.. new gearbox at some time?

Absolutely right, this citigo (2013) you have to depress the gear stick, same as my sisters 2015 Mii, whereas my tractor just slides into reverse.

Gearbox doesn't know if you push gear stick down or not when you engage reverse. It's the gear stick which determines that. But they may have done some internal tweaks for the gearbox as well.

I am not sure if this thread is the best place to post, but it seems relevant.

I own a Yeti and a 2014 VW UP. I thought the following might be of interest as obviously Citigo and Up are basically the same and share clutch/gearbox issues. The difference seems to be how owners are dealt with.

3 x trips to dealer over Clutch- click. Never had any problem getting them to realise it was a problem and not a feature of the car. They  tried a different fix each time and seem to have resolved this with a selection of various parts, some allegedly updates/improvements. Are Skoda still playing difficult over this?

A month ago a very unpleasant roarty noise was noticeable under hard acceleration through 2500rpm in 1st and 2nd. Initial diagnosis of a loose heat shield [supported by a garage video clip of offending part] failed to solve the problem. Garage listened again and admitted the vehicle had a problem.

Gearbox removed and stripped, report sent to warranty department and forwarded to Germany. New gearbox sent out but told not to fit until old had been reassembled, refitted and inspected by a warranty person to confirm problem and not the garage ripping off VW UK. I believe new gearbox still showed fault, so new clutch fitted. This seems to have cleared the problem. New gearbox initially seems to have a shorter throw and feel a little notchy. This could be my imagination, a cold box warming up, a new gearbox bedding in, or driving the UP after my Yeti. After a short drive it seems fine.

Garage admitted they thought the early teething problems with gearboxes had been addressed, but obviously had not. They had another white 5 door Up in with exactly the same problem.

Colin

My 2013 Citigo has always suffered from problems engaging first gear when the car is stationary, and occasionally grating badly when going from first to second gear, indicating a synchromesh issue. My local dealer has been very understanding, but couldn't do anything that made the problem any better. Last week, they had the car for a few days, and this time drained the gearbox oil completely and re-filled it, and adjusted the gear linkage (again). Following this work, the first gear engagement problem is still there, but it's now reduced to an occasional annoyance rather than an ever-present reason to hate this (otherwise agreeable) little car. Once warm, the gear change action on the other gears is definitely improved too.

Yesterday I undertook a long journey, and was very pleased to note that the previous gearbox whine at 70mph has been reduced significantly. It can still be heard, but it no longer intrudes. Similarly, gearbox rattle and chatter when driving at low speeds is much reduced.

So, I'm inclined to think that some of the Citigo/Up/Mii gearbox issues reported may have been cause by nothing more significant than insufficient or incorrect lubrication at the factory. Not a great endorsement of VW Group manufacturing quality for sure, but I hope that my experience might help others with the same problem.

• Like 1

You can avoid this by leaving the car to first gear when you leave/park it, I do it always, hence no problem.

-eelis-

That is wrong, but maybe your car was built properly in the first instance - I always leave mine in first gear when parked. A complete change of gearbox oil has definitely helped with my car's gearchange, and maybe this information will help others with the same problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if this thread is the best place to post, but it seems relevant.

I own a Yeti and a 2014 VW UP. I thought the following might be of interest as obviously Citigo and Up are basically the same and share clutch/gearbox issues. The difference seems to be how owners are dealt with.

3 x trips to dealer over Clutch- click. Never had any problem getting them to realise it was a problem and not a feature of the car. They  tried a different fix each time and seem to have resolved this with a selection of various parts, some allegedly updates/improvements. Are Skoda still playing difficult over this?

A month ago a very unpleasant roarty noise was noticeable under hard acceleration through 2500rpm in 1st and 2nd. Initial diagnosis of a loose heat shield [supported by a garage video clip of offending part] failed to solve the problem. Garage listened again and admitted the vehicle had a problem.

Gearbox removed and stripped, report sent to warranty department and forwarded to Germany. New gearbox sent out but told not to fit until old had been reassembled, refitted and inspected by a warranty person to confirm problem and not the garage ripping off VW UK. I believe new gearbox still showed fault, so new clutch fitted. This seems to have cleared the problem. New gearbox initially seems to have a shorter throw and feel a little notchy. This could be my imagination, a cold box warming up, a new gearbox bedding in, or driving the UP after my Yeti. After a short drive it seems fine.

Garage admitted they thought the early teething problems with gearboxes had been addressed, but obviously had not. They had another white 5 door Up in with exactly the same problem.

Colin

Update. Car booked back into VW. Not possible to engage 1st gear until warmed up.

Colin