Vrs revs at 100mph in 7th D

redtop170

Anyone know the rpm at 100mph in 7th gear as sat in my mates house having a debate on this. He says it does 3400rpm at 100mph and i say ****** ! The car is a 2013 vrs 1.4  super /turbo thing.

This is mr rooney btw on red top 170 computor lol!

It is about 27 or 28 mph per thou revs I reckon.

The vrs is producing a huge surplus of power evev in 7th gear at a ton.

More interesting IMO is when to change from fifth to sixth and then to seventh as the CAV engine actually peaks around 5.5k revs !

"James I" post

"5.5k revs, really?   My CAV engined Fabia pulls hard to the red line, many track sessions have proven this, never seen a drop off at 5.5k"

From a rolling road print thaf is what it looked like but it would still be worth reving to atleast 6100 even from 6th to 7th. More in lower gears assuming fairly linear profiled power curve.

Diesels tend to be more clipped but certainly worth revving to 7k up to 4th I reckon.

Peak power on the vRS is reached at 6.2k rpm, I found mine felt a bit flat if revved much past 6, power drop quite evident; keen to rev but rapid progress tailed off.

7th is very much an overdrive gear too, I'm not sure in S it will even go into 7th, given 6th is it vMax gear.

it does about 5k in 6th at 144mph *cough cough ...

Now I am confused as that would be the gearing in 7th for mine, 6 th gear is about 23 mpg per thousand revs so 6 thousand rpm would be 140 mph but with actual peak power ie at the back wheels shown at 5.5K,which is what it feels like on mine 6th feels like it has started to rev out at 130 and it wants to change in to 7th which it does not do in Sports mode which to me is a software flaw.  

Ones that do go into 7th in 'S'. do and obviously ones that do not, dont.  Plenty do and until you try you will not know which you have.

They are mostly Early ones, or ones that have the softwear mapped to allow it.

(that is a true 'S7' not an indicated 'S7' like when you have Cruise Control on and shift to 'S'.)

they change up at around 127 MPH and when still pulling.

Considering all engines are not putting out the same power, but they are putting out at least 180ps, 

and all gearboxes are not exactly the same on CAVE engines, you only know what each one does by trying, 

Then CTHE engines have a different map, and i have never found one yet with a DSG with 7th in S, 

but i have only tried a few, so others will have to comment.

george

• Like 1

I would certainly never be trying, even in someone elses car to be at full chat then move the stick back to 'S',

but its sometimes interesting to see how they do go when left in 'S'.

It is sometimes my habit to leave in 1st manual and do not shift until it needs to be shifted to 5th.

Just to get an idea if the engine has got a bit more go, or is just so so.

Good fuel, basically a higher RON does make a difference to just how well they do perform.

george

• Like 1

Told mr rooney that the vrs does 100mph in 7th at 3400rpm won that debate,  as confirmed by you guys well pleased with this car the engine is brill pulls well from low down the car drives well in D but when i see the red mist its S mode all the way oh and talking about higher RON fuel  i run mine on tesco 99 octane , :devil:

I can confirm that mine did go into S7 - although not until it was north of 220kph *actual* (not speedo).  I reached the book speed of 225kph (140mph) and that was enough for me.  On stock suspension it gets a bit floaty at that speed..

Didn't notice much (any) difference between S and D over 100 apart from the needle sitting in a different place.

And yes - on an Autobahn, in Germany.

• Like 2

I wish I had an autobahn near me. :devil:  A "friend of mine" :blush:  had his up to 155kph going uphill, and it still had plenty in reserve.  :rock:

I would say join the tip to the nurburgring next ear (its in the international meets section) but I'm not quite sure what that would be lize logistically from Oz!

• Like 1

ote name="redtop170" post="3441444" timestampanf80497443"]Told mr rooney that the vrs does 100mph in 7th at 3400rpm won that debate, as confirmed by you guys well pleased with this car the engine is brill pulls well from low down the car drives well in D but when i see the red mist its S mode all the way oh and talking about higher RON fuel i run mine on tesco 99 octane , :devil:

Hey You! I'm going to show you who's the daddy at Oulton park next Tuesday in a ten year old diesel.

You techno wiz kids with dsg and super chargers and turbos! Lol !

Edited by mr rooney

• 2 weeks later...