Fans, funny smells and sticky gears

Had car just over a week. A couple of times the engine fan has come on when stopping and a funny smell like rubber or oil burning is coming from the car. The temperature gauge shows nothing abnormal and no other warning lights on. It's too dark to check oil and water levels now but wondered if this is normal with a new car or if anyone else has experienced this? This has happened after a very short 10 minute journey on dual carriage ways and empty A roads.

Also, in the last couple of days I am unable to do a smooth gear change. Even my husband as a passenger has noticed the gear stick clunking and struggling to find the right position. It was fine until a couple of days ago.

Disappointed at having to take it in so soon and we have a very busy weekend ahead as we're away for our wedding anniversary.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Had car just over a week. A couple of times the engine fan has come on when stopping and a funny smell like rubber or oil burning is coming from the car.

Also, in the last couple of days I am unable to do a smooth gear change. Even my husband as a passenger has noticed the gear stick clunking and struggling to find the right position. It was fine until a couple of days ago.

I second what trundlenut has said.

As for the second point, your hubby (when he's the passenger) is just agreeing that the car is at fault when I'm sure he wants to say it's the driver. Or have I got that completely wrong? ;)

I second what trundlenut has said.

As for the second point, your hubby (when he's the passenger) is just agreeing that the car is at fault when I'm sure he wants to say it's the driver. Or have I got that completely wrong? ;)

Errrrrm of course I'm not at fault, I'm a woman!! ;) I've not suddenly become a sh#t driver, I have mastered gear changes after 16 years!

Yes it is, just come across that via a google search. I don't understand what it is but I read that its normal. Do you think that's why the start/stop didn't kick in when I stopped?

My start stop sometimes doesn't kick in when I stop and the system claims the engine isn't on.

I've traced it to the doors being unlocked!

My car is a week old and just yesterday I noticed my gears not going in smoothly too, it is particularly effecting my reverse gear. I'm having to re-centre the stick and re-operate the clutch then its fine.

Andy

More than likely. I 'only' have a mkII but the dpf regen works the same way in that once it's started switching the engine off interupts the cycle and the fans go craaazeey. So if the stop start worked while a regen was in llace you'd interupt it so there must be a bit in the stop start program that when a regens running the computer says no. You'll also find that during the winter when you've got the lights and heater going a lot the stop start will often not stop when you expect it to or start unexpectidly when your stationary. This will be because the battery voltage is below a certain level so th engine either carries on running or starts up to charge the battery. Have fun...

• Like 1