Fabia DRL/Console illumination.

Hi,

My dad picked up his new fabia estate last week, his only small gripe is that he sometimes finds it difficult to see the instrument console when it's not illuminated. The manual suggests fuse 17 is for the DRL's and in his fuse box fuse 17 is absent. My question is if i fit a fuse in slot 17 will this activate his side lights as DRL's and in turn illuminate the instrument console without turning the rear lights on?

Cheers

Steve

What model of Fabia estate?

Can he not just switch on the Sidelights manually when he needs to, and he will notice when that is because he can not see the dash well, So basically he starts his car, switches on the sidelights & he will light up the dash.

&  then have almost the same as DRL's just less bright and annoying to some at the front,and also rear lights on, it is not that much of an annoyance to people if a car in front has rear tail lights on in good light.?

Maybe try fitting a fuse in slot 17 and then let us know what happens please.

(EDIT, it will be Fuse 17 for DRL's Only where DRL's are fitted.)

If it puts the DRL's on, it will not have the Dash lights lit though.

george

If it actually has DRLs I believe there will be a switch behind the fuse panel below the steering wheel that will make them come on when the car is on. They do not illuminate the dash however. To my knowledge the only way to illuminate the dash is to turn on side lights, or full lights obviously.

• Like 1

If DRLs are fitted, they would have the fuze.  If not, the fuze will be empty (as his is).

The console doesn't illuminate with DRLs on (which is all the time - unless they're disabled with the switch in the fuze panel).

The idea of switching on the side lights to illuminate the dash is not bad, but I reckon that leaves the potential to forget to turn them off and getting a flat battery as pretty high!

Not sure what else to suggest - maybe someone has looked into LED illumination of the instrument binnacle?

If DRLs are fitted, they would have the fuze. If not, the fuze will be empty (as his is).

The console doesn't illuminate with DRLs on (which is all the time - unless they're disabled with the switch in the fuze panel).

The idea of switching on the side lights to illuminate the dash is not bad, but I reckon that leaves the potential to forget to turn them off and getting a flat battery as pretty high!

Not sure what else to suggest - maybe someone has looked into LED illumination of the instrument binnacle?

I find it hard to understand why Skoda don't have the lights switch off when the ignition key is in the off position like most manufacturers, to avoid a flat battery.

I would be very interested to know if anyone has figured out how to illuminate the dash with LED. I know many people who have done it in other vehicles I'm just a bit dubious about removing the binnacle to do it.

I understand the OPs point about losing sight of the dash, when driving to work I go through a small copse of trees, light is reduced but side lights are not needed as it's only 30 seconds max but the speedo becomes difficult to see if using analogue needle display. ...I overcame the problem by activating the digi mph via VCDS :D

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4

Unless I am mistaken, the dials (I mean the actual pointers, whatever they are called) are always illuminated but the backlighting (of the numbers) comes on only with the lights. Might it not be possible to somehow connect both of these together? Also, there are things that are always illuminated like the electric window switches (and something else, I cannot remember) - maybe this could be connected together on the same switch? I can't say I find it a problem though. I am sure he will get used to it and if it is dark enough just switch on the lights - I can't see anyone being bothered by sidelights.

Fabia instruments only light up with lights on. This is actually quite handy as, in twilight, you know you have turned on your lights if you can see the instruments, unlike those numpties who drive around with out lights as they have illuminated dashes and forget to switch on!  

As for the flat battery scenario, most modern cars, including the Fabia, revert to sidelights if you turn off the ignition, so the bigger bulbs will be turned off. Additionally, if you pull the key out and open the door to exit the car, tha warning alarm will come on, letting you know you have left the lights on.

It will also do this, if you have left either side indicator on, which subsequently changes to a parking light, the side you were signalling, after said key removal!

• Like 2

Unless someone has had it switched off, it should make a noise to let you know the lights are left on when you open the drivers door.

It makes a different noise if you remove the keys and have the indicator stalk down, so that the single Parking Light is on at the front and rear. (maybe also a single number plate light at that same side)

george

Thanks George.

I've had the car since new so it should be on a standard.

I will check it when I get home next week and take it to the dealer if it does not sound.

I'm guessing it is a setting within VCDS.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4

It should have an alert if you remove the key whilst leaving on lights. Its NOT the actual car alarm, if you have one, just an internal alert, similar to handbrake on, seatbelt off, etc.