No 4x4 on Elegance?

I don't personally think it's an issue with the manufacturer, more our importer. Back in 2010 when I ordered my current Yeti I asked SUK for 16" wheels rather than the standard 17" to improve ride and grip on the rough local roads but got a curt no.

However instead of giving up I e-mailed the factory, as back then they advertised their e-mail on the main Skoda Auto website (withdrawn now). Couldn't have been more helpful if they tried and effectively told SUK to amend the order with a change of codes they provided onto the options list; yes that simple. A number of other owners have battled with SUK over the same request, most but not all have been successful.

TP

Stuarted, on 07 Oct 2013 - 19:29, said:snapback.png

especially as the MkIII apparently doesn't even have "4x4" written on the back of it.   

No apparently about it; the only evidence that mine is a 4x4 is the gearstick.

Saw my 4x4 Octavia today at the dealers today prior to it's registration/PDI etc & it most definitely has the 4x4 badge bottom right on the tailgate. The digits are in chrome & the x is in red.

• Like 1

Saw my 4x4 Octavia today at the dealers today prior to it's registration/PDI etc & it most definitely has the 4x4 badge bottom right on the tailgate. The digits are in chrome & the x is in red.

They must have found the 4x4 badges then, because like Partist, my 4x4 didn't come with the badge either...Anyway, I just debadged mine on Sunday, so it wouldn't have made much difference to me! 

They must have found the 4x4 badges then, because like Partist, my 4x4 didn't come with the badge either...Anyway, I just debadged mine on Sunday, so it wouldn't have made much difference to me! 

What's the process for removing the badges?

Unfortunately no-one else seems to offer an economical, good-value "stealth" 4x4 diesel estate car (as distinct from an ugly great SUV) with a decent length load bay.

I just love the idea of a discreet, modestly-sized, reliable, comfortable, relatively elegant-looking vehicle which costs well under £30k and which is big enough to sleep in, does over 50 mpg, can tow two tons, does over 130 mph, accelerates to 60mph in just over 8 seconds and doesn't get stuck on snow, ice, muddy roadside verges or wet grass (OK OK, I know, not all of these things at the same time, but even so ...)

But I also want it to have fully electrically adjustable (with memory) leather seats, wood trim, a panoramic sun roof, an electrically heated windscreen and for it not to be lumbered with over-sized bling wheels and over-priced, over-complicated and over-rated audio, comms and sat-nav systems.  Please, Mr Skoda?

Edited by Stuarted
  • Like 1

Be intrested to see pics of your new motor whe it arrives.

Thanks,

TP

• Like 2

Unfortunately no-one else seems to offer an economical, good-value "stealth" 4x4 diesel estate car (as distinct from an ugly great SUV) with a decent length load bay.

I just love the idea of a discreet, modestly-sized, reliable, comfortable, relatively elegant-looking vehicle which costs well under £30k and which is big enough to sleep in, does over 50 mpg, can tow two tons, does over 130 mph, accelerates to 60mph in just over 8 seconds and doesn't get stuck on snow, ice, muddy roadside verges or wet grass (OK OK, I know, not all of these things at the same time, but even so ...)

You can quite easily get Audi 4 Avant 2.0 TDI 177 Quattro S Line for that money. It pretty much ticks all the boxes you set there.

But I also want it to have fully electrically adjustable (with memory) leather seats, wood trim, a panoramic sun roof, an electrically heated windscreen and for it not to be lumbered with over-sized bling wheels and over-priced, over-complicated and over-rated audio, comms and sat-nav systems.  Please, Mr Skoda?

The Skoda Superb will check most of those boxes. Even on the 18" bling wheels its more comfortable than my Octavia on 15s.

But I don't want a Scout.

Much of the attraction of the 4x4 is its "stealth" character - especially as the MkIII apparently doesn't even have "4x4" written on the back of it.  If I wanted an SUV or something that looked like an SUV, I'd buy an SUV.  But I don't - I want something that looks like an ordinary, discreet estate car.

Why can't I hjave a 4x4 diesel estate with electrically adjustable leather seats and wood trim?  Not fair!  [stamps foot.]

Just seen my new Octy estate 4x4 and I can confirm that it DOES have a 4x4 badge on the tailgate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Be intrested to see pics of your new motor whe it arrives.

Thanks,

TP

Octy_Est_4x4.jpg

Here's my new Octy Est 4x4. It's been sitting at the dealers all week as I haven't had a chance to collect it until yesterday. Just after I took this pic it started peeing down so haven't had a chance to take more.

• Like 2

Yay - red!  Just what I'd choose.  Looks  good - thanks for the pic.

Any chance of any more pictures please?  Would be interesting to see it from the side and/or rear, to see if the extra 30mm height is particularly noticeable.

Thanks for the pic looks excellent; almost tempted by the corrida red myself :)

Oh is it standard spec or do you have options and was it a factory or in stock order :wonder:

Apologies for more questions,

TP

It was a factory build ordered on business contract hire from Skoda Business Finance with the following extras: spare wheel/tools, sunset glass, front armrest, mats, MFSW, cruise control & winter pack as I do a few alpine trips every winter. Also got a spare set of matching Skoda 'take-off' rims with Conti TS850 winter tyres from Tyremen in Hull at a great price which will be going on it in a few weeks along with a jocking great black Kamei roofbox. Got the Corrida Red as it's my business colours.

• Like 1

Yay - red!  Just what I'd choose.  Looks  good - thanks for the pic.

Any chance of any more pictures please?  Would be interesting to see it from the side and/or rear, to see if the extra 30mm height is particularly noticeable.

Will do but AFAIK the ride height's the same as a standard Octavia. I saw a post somewhere on here recently from a guy who's apparently ordered one with a raised height but I've never even heard of that option being available.

Will do but AFAIK the ride height's the same as a standard Octavia. I saw a post somewhere on here recently from a guy who's apparently ordered one with a raised height but I've never even heard of that option being available.

Brochure (0509 6/13 page 33) gives

Height:

standard estate = 1,465mm

4x4 estate = 1,495mm (i.e., 30mm / 1-1/4" more)

Ground clearance:

standard estate = 140mm

4x4 estate = 139mm (i.e., very slightly - 1mm - less)

which suggests that the 4x4 is probably set to ride slightly higher to give enough clearance for the transmission.  If anyone knows different, it would be interesting to hear.

Edited by Stuarted

Interesting.

Before I've ordered mine got info from dealer that:

- 4x4 has the same ground clearance as a standard octavias (ca. 140mm),

- rough road package adds 15mm, so the ground clearance is 155mm.

Maybe somebody will measure distance from centre of wheel to edge of mudguard?

Interesting.

Before I've ordered mine got info from dealer that:

- 4x4 has the same ground clearance as a standard octavias (ca. 140mm),

- rough road package adds 15mm, so the ground clearance is 155mm.

Which does not contradict what the catalogue says.  If the normal 4x4 is 30mm higher, it isn't very obvious, which is good.  I like the idea of a "stealth" 4x4; like many people, I have an irrational dislke of SUVs, especially round town!

Let's have some more pictures of your fire engine (only joking - as I said before, it's the colour I would choose.  Prevents dozy idiots on country roads saying "Oops, sorry, I didn't see you!")

Like the reg. too.

Edited by Stuarted

This is annoying.

Well dont be annoyed, in Croatia we can get what ever we want, any combination except 2.0 TDI 4x4 DSG (both separate 4x4 & DSG are available). But we have to pay. For example, in vRS you get 18'' rims, adaptive cruise control and drive mode selection as a standard package, we hafe to pay for those. (300 quid for ACC, 170 quid for mode selection, and 600 quid for ACC)...

So dont complain :-)

That's me :)

It's all a bit confusing but as I understand it the 4x4 has the same ride height as the standard car without the RRP but with it gets taller springs giving it 15mm more clearance along with a strengthened sump guard and one or two other mods.

Think the UK brochure might have it's figures crossed/wrong. The owners handbook from Skoda Auto does not use the definition 4x4 when describing either clearance or vehicle height, stating the following for the Combi:

Basic dimension

Clearance - 140 or 139 (MG6)

Height - 1465

Rough Road Pack

Clearance - 155 or 154 (MG6)

Height - 1480

Sport Package

Clearance - 125 or 127 (MG6)

Height - 1450

The Rough Road Pack is not in the current UK brochure but it is mentioned on the Skoda UK web site and on the build your own but described as  stone guard and increased ride height option code PK4 at £150.

Will wait and see what comes in 6 months time, as the dealer was aware of it but had to manually enter it on the order, as I understand it anyway.

Oh and in some countries I understand it can be optioned on both 2wd and 4x4 but not in the UK, only 4x4.

TP

4x4 TSI with rough rad package,

distance from middle of rear wheel to the top of mudguard is 41cm, in the front 40,5cm.

Please check by regular 4x2 and 4x4.

No reason to doubt your measurements, but that seems massive.

On my MkII FL Scout I fitted larger wheels and oversized tyres (245/45 R 18) with an overall nominal diameter of 33.9cm.  I've kept them for the next generation of Scout hoping that they will fit.  The tyres also added an extra 10mm radius thereby giving an extra 10mm ride height IN ADDITION to the extra provided by the Scout's inbuilt offroad pack.

Previously there were no rubbing issues at the same offset, although at a steering angle of about 30 degrees the outside shoulder came within a finger's width of the liner i.e. about 10mm.

I haven't got access to my old Scout to measure the equivalent points as you have, but am relieved that my tyres should fit.

I know this is a Mk III forum, but could anyone with a Scout post up those measurements if possible. Thanks.