Front windscreen wipers not working

Hello all.

My car is a 2007 MY08 vRS petrol.  My wipers have been working almost normally up to now, with the exception of the rear washer (motor operates but no water comes out).  However, after an 'Inspection Service' and MOT, including replacement of some seized/leaking front suspension components to get through the test, on getting the car back my front wipers will not operate.

I can still squirt water on the screen/headlights and the rear wiper still works, but there is no movement from the front wipers in any stalk position or any sound of anything trying to happen.

I have checked the 30A wiper fuse - it is position 31 on my car - including trying an alternative, but no change.  I have also run a VCDS scan and it comes back with the following:

Address 09: Cent. Elect.        Labels: 3C0-937-049-30-H.lbl
   Part No SW: 3C0 937 049 AJ    HW: 3C0 937 049 AJ
   Component: Bordnetz-SG     H54 2202 
   Revision: 00H54000    Serial number: 00000005133149
    Coding: E18E0F111004140000110D000000000000087F065C00000C000000000000
   Shop #: WSC 73430 790 00000
   VCID: 71E2C58368D11C966BD-8024

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 1K0 955 559 AF  Labels: 1K0-955-559-AF.CLB
    Component: RLS     030907 046  0204 
   Coding: 00471077
   Shop #: WSC 73430 

Subsystem 3 - Component: Fehler Lin-Slave 01

2 Faults Found:
02071 - Local Databus
            004 - No Signal/Communication
              Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 01100100
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 220
                    Mileage: 85637 km
                     Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2005.09.13
                    Time: 31:63:63

Freeze Frame:
                        ON
                    Voltage: 11.25 V
                         ON
                        ON
                        OFF
                        OFF
                        OFF

00153 - Windshield Wiper Motor;  Driver Side (V216)
            004 - No Signal/Communication
              Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 01100100
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 220
                    Mileage: 85637 km
                     Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2005.09.13
                    Time: 31:63:63

Freeze Frame:
                        ON
                    Voltage: 10.15 V
                         OFF
                        ON
                        ON
                        ON
                        OFF

I have done a bit of searching on here.  There are loads of posts about the rear wiper failure, but a fair number of cases where the front goes.  This was a useful thread: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/247085-desperate-for-some-help-please-pic-included/

From what I have found, it is possibly one (or more) of the following:
- Motor failure
- Poor grounding of the motor
- Linkage seized
- Faulty wiper stalk

Hopefully the fuse is ruled out.  The other posts where replacing a relay only seems to have been a solution to the rear.  As I understand it, there is no separate relay for the front.  I think I can also rule out the bonnet switch as I don't have the other symptoms of that.

There are other things I want to go back to the dealer about (I'll post in another thread) and perhaps they did something to have broken the wipers.   On the other hand, it's quite possible that it's a coincidence to have gone following their repair.  I want to avoid them throwing parts at it at main dealer rates.  The motor is one of the pricer components and I have seen earlier posts where the motor was changed and it still didn't fix it.

What are people's opinions on what seems most likely, or what to do?  I would be willing to have a go at replacing the motor/linkage myself. 

What is the difference between the V216 error code and other posts where V217 for the passenger side is at fault.  There is only one motor, so is that just RHD vs LHD?

Thanks, James

I can't think why, but if they have had the wiper linkage out they may have forgotten to reconnect the motor which may account for the lack of communication in the scan.

There is only one motor shared via a linkage to both arms and it is on the driver's side.

Taking the scuttle panel off to have a look doesn't involve any tools AFAIK so might be worth a quick look.

• Like 1

As above unplug the micro switch and bridge the connector with a paper clip, shut the bonnet so the wipers don't foul the bonnet and operate,  the micro switches stick, or soak the latch in freeing oil and keep operating the latch.

• 9 months later...

Hi can anyone tell me why my windscreen wipers front keep stopping half way up window and also just stop after swiping the screen 3 times then not working for another 30 seconds, is it the relay, thanks