Extended warranty - recommendations, please

ejstubbs

Right....pretty shocking news to report.

I have just had a call from the service department. Although the computer diagnostics came up with nothing, they got a few technicians in the car (the issue appears when the family are all in the car) and they replicated the fault.

Service called Skoda (branded) Warranty who refused to pay out at all because there is a TPI number saying it is a design fault! Service then called the factory who said that the best they can do is 100% discount on parts and I would have to cover labour (to the tune of £540). Utterly reprehensible.

When I purchased the warranty (from the dealer) I explained that I wanted it due to my concern over the DSG. I was told that would be covered. I think I was told that in good faith based on the fact there was no recall and therefore no condition in the warranty detail under which such an issue was excluded.  

I have told my dealer that either it a design fault which is subject to recall (in which I and many others need Skoda to pay) or it isn't (in which Skoda Warranty must pay). They are calling Skoda Customer Services on my behalf. I have explained that I am not the only one who will be concerned about this and that I will take legal and/or media action if necessary. 

We need to sort this out once and for all.

Sale of goods act, not fit for purpose due to known design fault.

Hence why you got it free.

Sale of goods act, not fit for purpose due to known design fault.

Hence why you got it free.

So it would have been a free repair even without the cost of the extended warranty?

My extended warranty (on the car when I bought it last year) runs out in a months time.

I'm having a new engine fitted as I type and I've been offered another extended warranty by Skoda for another year. cost - £399 without roadside assist and £449 with.

I can pay monthly if I wish.

Hmmmm not sure what to do on this one. I have had the clutch judder on occasions and Skoda has had it in for that & they did the mineral oil change, but it comes and goes.

I'll mention it to them again when I pick the car up. 

There will be a 2 year warranty on the new engine.

Well the lesson I have learned is simply that you don't need to factor in the DSG7 shudder when considering whether you get the warranty (or which warranty you get). The rest is up to your personal attitude towards risk and insurance.

Get the clutch judder done whilst under warranty. Clutch pack is around £1500. Didn't get to find out if that's including labour, as it failed with the car at 1yr old, so VW covered it under warranty.

Because it's very intermittent it's difficult for them to experience the problem. If I take it in the chances are it won't judder.

Because it's very intermittent it's difficult for them to experience the problem. If I take it in the chances are it won't judder.

Ours constantly did it changing from 1st to 2nd. VW had to reset the dsg into learn as most of the time it'd go straight to 2nd when pulling away. VW also update the dsg software when the clutch pack is fitted to make 1-2 changes smoother

Put ignition on, without engine starting, press the accelerator for about 10 seconds and it should reset to learn mode.

Been ages since I did it, but I think car makes a boing to confirm it's done.

There will be a 2 year warranty on the new engine.

Are you sure about that?

Usually, anything replaced under warranty (unless you have been asked to pay something towards it) is only covered until the expiry of the warranty under which it was replaced.

i.e. if it was replaced 18 months into a 2 year extended warranty, it would only be covered for the remaining 6 months.

It would be well worth making sure you are 100% on this point.

The warranty has done nothing in this case. It refused to pay out.

My dealer replied yesterday  to my enquiries about whether or not my extended warranty with Car Care Plan covers a juddering clutch.  

Definitive answer - No.  My reg. no. was used as identification and opinion was sought from the warranty provider themselves.  

Goodwill would be sought by the dealer from Skoda but nothing could be guaranteed (obviously enough) and of course the longer you keep the car the less and less goodwill you're likely to receive...again for obvious reasons.

So, at least I personally know for sure where I stand.

Raises questions in MY mind about future purchases and how long I think I should keep a car which may or may not need expensive repairs. Also, I must ask myself  whether to renew the warranty annually just in case something that IS covered goes wrong.

I took my Yeti into Skoda last night regarding the 1st-2nd gear judder and a jolt into 3rd. A technician came out in the car with me & confirmed it wasn't normal. The car is booked in for next Tuesday. 

• 11 months later...

It's warranty renewal time!

Two years ago I purchased a 2 year extended warranty from my local dealer for £600 including breakdown. In fact, it runs out at the end of this month. I'm not 100% certain about renewing but before speaking to the dealer I wanted to do a bit of research on prices. The car is a 6 year old Octavia DSG7 but only has 44500 miles on the clock. 

Warranty wise - Lots of options on what you can include. Prices ranges from £400-£600 per year, allowing for a dealer labour rate of £75 p/h, without breakdown. A bit of cashback from Quidco brings it down slightly. Top level cover extends to the in car entertainment system.

Warranty direct - You have to accept a call back rather than doing an online quote. Haven't done that yet so can't comment on price but I'm guessing it will be similar.

A significantly cheaper option is CSMA (mentioned numerous times above)- £148.50 for unlimited claims / extensive coverage but car must be under 5years/60k miles. Otherwise its £175 a year, the claim limit is £2k and limited parts are covered. As far as I can tell, you also need to be a civil/public servant.

Then I found this Extended Warranty website from Skoda. I put in my reg and mileage and it's offering 'all component cover' for £192 (with a £100 excess) or £214 (with no excess). Limiting cover to 'named components' only saves about £6 so makes no sense to me. This is a lot cheaper than the product I bought from the dealer. On the face of it seems to be the same (or at least a very similar) product. Though it is supplied and underwritten by difference companies to the dealer-bought one it is still a Skoda-branded extended warranty. However the price has thrown me a bit.

This the booklet for the Skoda dealer bought policy and  here is the booklet and a features and benefits page for the Skoda online policy.

I'm thinking £192 is not a bad investment to guard against major disasters. Although perhaps at this age of car the things that go wrong are considered wear and tear.

If anyone has any insight I'd be interested to hear it. I'll update as I find out more.

Edited by DadWagon

What a well written and useful contribution, DadWagon.  Top Man!

It's a topic very much in mind of owners beyond the first three years.  Within that time I felt well covered and, indeed, my DSG clutch pack, and one or two other things, were dealt with without much ado.

And, as is documented above somewhere, I still have the CSMA cover - the one with offices in Thornbury, Yorkshire. (Incidentally, you really don't have to be a "Civil Servant" to qualify...I'll have said before half the world and his brother can obtain cover if they look at their list of qualifying people - or their respective relatives etc - and give the matter some thought). 

The Terms and Conditions of any policy are important, of course. I don't claim to have studied the contents of the second of your two policies mentioned in the latter paragraphs ( Extended Warranty website from Skoda.)  but it does say, in 'GENERAL EXCLUSIONS'   Design Faults and Recalls – If any components of your vehicle have an inherent design fault or is recalled by its manufacturer, the component which is the subject of the design fault or recall is not covered by this warranty.

That would seem to suggest that the clutch pack that I had replaced under warranty within the first three years is not covered because it WAS the subject of a manufacturers replacement programme (whether they actually referred to it as a RECALL or not is up for debate.

I did telephone the Thornbury people (who I have cover with at the moment) and they did confirm the clutch pack is not covered for the reasons noted above.

However, at those(reasonable) prices mentioned above I think it's it's still worth taking out in case something else blew up...but you never know how worthwhile the cover is until you claim on it....and I haven't had to do so as we speak.

Edited by oldstan

Very kind!

Thanks for the insight in relation to CSMA. For me, with the car now at 6 years old, their offer is quite limited. For cars up to 5 years old, their better/cheaper policy looks excellent.

I'll be interested to see what the dealer says when I ask them what their offer is. If they are offering the same deal as before I will ask what the difference is between that and the Skoda financial services product.

As for the DSG7 issue, you may recall my dramas! In the end parts and labour were covered by Skoda (factory + customer services). The Skoda branded, dealer sold, policy did not cover it as it was a design flaw.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

5 pages of precisely why I am going to go bareback with my Passat and just take it on the chin if or when it comes.

Edited by DonjSZ5
  • Like 2

Shame we can't claim under the EU human rights act,but that only appears to help the criminal element already in and the ones we've welcomed into our country.its quite sad that companies spend millions advertising how good their products are but when they go wrong the do as much as the can sometimes to squirm out of their liabilities once you have paid over your hard earned cash but I suppose once were in the EU all that will changed and customers rights will be protected?

My dishwasher had a fault back in January so I took out a warranty repair...I had to because it was the same price for the repair. £175 per year.

On the front of the document it clearly states IF IT CANNOT BE FIXED YOU GET YOUR MONEY BACK. 

So yesterday the third engineer was out to try to fix the same problem.

While booking the engineers visit I asked how many times before they considered the problem was not fixable....the reply Ahhhh, your contract says we must carry on trying to it and no, you do not qualify for the money back. After much discussion the operative said if I paid for the previous attempts to fix it (Neffs costs to the insurance company) then I could have my money back. So it transpires if I paid £300 they will give me back £175.

I wish now I had junked the DW in favour of a new one...which I will at the end of this warranty.

Edited by DonjSZ5