Who's running the TX FM intercooler?

Hey.

I've seen that TX make quite a cheap FMIC for the PD130.

Does anyone on here have any first hand experience of using it, did it improve much and if you got your car remapped did it give a noticeable benefit over the standard SMIC?

£250 seems cheap, but i'm not a fan of the length of the pipes! Seems a little long.

Thanks for any replies :)

Did you notice any increase in power when you fitted yours? Thanks a lot for the reply dude, appreciate it :)

I have a suspected SMIC leak so i'm thinking of killing two birds with one stone and fitting this rather than replacing the standard one, what do you reckon?

Erm it felt the ever so slightest more responsive but nothing major, and that is the same reason I replaced mine got it back from skoda after a cambelt change and they said it was leaking so I just bought a front mount :) someone called joe_vrs_tdi has one and has a little tutorial which was very helpful :)

Just to add, the long pipe that goes across the width of the car isnt supported in any way. However I found a tapped hole in the block so I welded a bracket onto the pipe and mounted it to this hole. Ill get a pic tomoro for you.

It just helps support the pipe and keep it more secure and away from the radiator hose that runs alongside

• Like 1

My mate had this on his (VRS-iain) with a hybrid and when mapped by jabba they commented that one of the resticting factors was the piping. Seems worth it if your just going for a map but if you want to move onto hybrid or a garret then I'd get something a bit better. 

I don't suppose you know specifically what it was about the piping that was restrictive? The amount of bends or the length of it?

At the moment I'm having done:

Mufflerectomy and decat done on friday

This smic potentially as it's so cheap

Egr delete

All recently serviced

smf and new clutch already done

What power would I be looking to see with these mods do you think?

I'm hoping for around 180bhp?

The issue seemed to be the amount of bends in the piping as it had to route itself back the original way causing the extra bends. A seat sport one might be better for a bigger turb.

If your keeping the stock turbo then the TX intercooler has got to be better than the standard set up. I've had heat soak on a standard intercooler and no remap. :(

Cheers for the reply. Yeah that seems about right, I'm hoping that the extra lag due to the length of it is counter acted by the mufflerectomy anddecat.

I jjus need to confirm that my intercooler is leaking now but not sure how to do so

I don't suppose you know specifically what it was about the piping that was restrictive? The amount of bends or the length of it?

At the moment I'm having done:

Mufflerectomy and decat done on friday

This smic potentially as it's so cheap

Egr delete

All recently serviced

smf and new clutch already done

What power would I be looking to see with these mods do you think?

I'm hoping for around 180bhp?

The turbo is the limiting factor, 170ish bhp will be had with it. 

• Like 1

If you asked for a spiky map and stuck it on some optimistic rollers then yeah you could say you had 180bhp I guess. Your clutch/turbo wouldnt last long though, plus it's be slower than something mapped to less peek power but smoother. 170bhp is generally considered a realistic and safe figure for a remap and in reality we're talking 10bhp difference which is very little in the grand scheme of things. 

None of those mods you listed are actually adding to the power, a stock Fabia will map to the same. That said the fresh clutch will be good to cope with the increased torque providing it's not abused & the FMIC will help in warmer weather although as said, wont be much cop past remapped power. 

So the FMIC doesn't actually help things as much as I'd hoped? Thats a shame! 

Yeah the clutch is coming up to 900 miles old and I drive like a granny as of late (Cheap uni student haha)

Averaged 76.4mpg the other day!

Standard intercooler would be good enough for a couple of power runs. After that the intake temp would start getting too high resulting in a lower MAF reading which will effect the smoke map (depending on the map) if not will cause black smoke. AKA heat soak. Better intercooler will prevent this.