'09 VRS Deisel - Things to look out for when buying?/Cam Belt Question

Hi all,

Have a deposit down on an '09 Deisel VRS CR 170 which I'm picking up this weekend, and have a question about the cam belt as the dealer(vauxhall) wasn't too clear.

From what I've been told by friends and found googling, the cam belt (and water pump) need replacing after 4 years/80k miles.

The car has done 49k~ miles, but is 4 years old. Dealer confirmed Cam belt has not been done, but claims there is no 4 year replacement requirement in the service book.

Should I be concerned about the cam belt causing issues in the close future and try and get the job from the dealer/price reduction? I'm not sure if the dealer is trying to pull a fast one on me...

In addition to this, I've not viewed the car yet, is there anything notorious I should look out for when viewing/test drive?

Thanks in advance

Peter~

The belt will wear and eventually perish no matter how many miles. But i'd say 4 years is a bit short, 6 would be what i'd say it should last for really.

80k is what people say but also people say 60k, 70k and 90k. I personaly got mine (be it on a pd170 not cr) done at 70k and 6 years old

Id probably get it done as I think the recommendation at the moment on these engines is 4 years/60k.

If the belt goes and you havent had the belt replaced to schedule SUK will wriggle out of paying any goodwill, that'd be my fear given how much a new engine is likely to cost.

Amazingly our facelift Astra H 1.6 VVT doesnt officially need a cambelt until 10 years/100k but ive been told to get it done at 60k to be safe though car is likely to turn 10 before it reaches that mileage as its only averaging 3.5k a year (wifes runaround)

Skoda uk say every 4 years but the vauxhall dealer is correct in saying it only lists a mileage interval in the book (i think its 120,000miles) i personally would & have changed the cambelt at 4 years old on mine,other things to check are the rear tyres for wear on the inside edges (sawtoothing) check its got a full service history & the usual checks on bodywork,wheels & interior,the specs vary a bit from car to car,do you have a like to the for sale advert? It may be a pre facelift or one of the first facelift models. 

Skoda uk say every 4 years but the vauxhall dealer is correct in saying it only lists a mileage interval in the book (i think its 120,000miles) i personally would & have changed the cambelt at 4 years old on mine,other things to check are the rear tyres for wear on the inside edges (sawtoothing) check its got a full service history & the usual checks on bodywork,wheels & interior,the specs vary a bit from car to car,do you have a link to the for sale advert? It may be a pre facelift or one of the first facelift models. 

http://www.arthurscars.co.uk/used-cars/skoda/octavia/vrs-tdi-cr/dx09vba/

General consensus seems to be it's due a belt change. I'll use this when haggling the price down to ~£9k

Thanks for the heads up about tyre wear on the insides of the rears, didn't know about that one.

No that's a limit addition VRS (Wheels and Leather Interior) , which has facelift dash, wing mirrors etc and I pretty sure they have the CR engine and not the PD.

Yeah I'm fully aware it's a ltd edtion as I own one. Just looking at the advert and they have it listed in the same tax bracket as the PD, which is higher than the CR. Unless the CR estate is higher than the hatch.

Thanks for all the input guys, bought the car/drove it home... Certainly a step up from a fiesta!!

2 new rear tyres on so couldn't check for sawtoothing, but them getting replaced suggests I should keep an eye on it.

Alloys had a few dings on them unfortunatly, but used that in arguing the price down, only managed to get the road tax/full tank of fuel thrown in instead of extra. Still a good price for the car imo and certainly something I'm planning to keep long-term.

Now, I just have to figure out how to get the Bluetooth media connection to work... haha

• Like 2

Thanks for all the input guys, bought the car/drove it home... Certainly a step up from a fiesta!!

2 new rear tyres on so couldn't check for sawtoothing, but them getting replaced suggests I should keep an eye on it.

Alloys had a few dings on them unfortunatly, but used that in arguing the price down, only managed to get the road tax/full tank of fuel thrown in instead of extra. Still a good price for the car imo and certainly something I'm planning to keep long-term.

Now, I just have to figure out how to get the Bluetooth media connection to work... haha

Nice one dude I love mine had mine a good price too as argued with dealer after ended up paying 9k with 29k on the clock full suk history and mint.

Nice one dude I love mine had mine a good price too as argued with dealer after ended up paying 9k with 29k on the clock full suk history and mint.

Sounds like you got a bit of a better deal than me then :(

Have you managed to get the Bluetooth audio-in to work? My phone (HTC one) can't find it and can't find anything in the settings on the stereo besides turn Bluetooth on/off...

Sounds like you got a bit of a better deal than me then :(

Have you managed to get the Bluetooth audio-in to work? My phone (HTC one) can't find it and can't find anything in the settings on the stereo besides turn Bluetooth on/off...

I know I was lucky with it and to be honest I wasn't really desperate to change cars. But went to view this out of curiosity as thought it was going to be wreck for what they had it marked up for.

They are not factory blue tooth fitted unless somebody has fitted an aftermarket kit, you won't have it. Part of the Bluetooth was how I managed to chip the price down as it was advertised with BT.

I know I was lucky with it and to be honest I wasn't really desperate to change cars. But went to view this out of curiosity as thought it was going to be wreck for what they had it marked up for.

They are not factory blue tooth fitted unless somebody has fitted an aftermarket kit, you won't have it. Part of the Bluetooth was how I managed to chip the price down as it was advertised with BT.

has a "BT-Audio" tab in the media button, and an option in settings to turn bluetooth input on/off which makes the "BT-Audio" vanish from the tabs when it's not checked...

VERY misleading if it doesnt have it :(

has a "BT-Audio" tab in the media button, and an option in settings to turn bluetooth input on/off which makes the "BT-Audio" vanish from the tabs when it's not checked...

VERY misleading if it doesnt have it :(

Yeah the tab is there but will only illuminate of it has BT :( plenty of kits available I've bought the fiscon unit just not fitted it yet.

http://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/fiscon-bluetooth-solution/fiscon-bluetooth-handsfree-basic-plus-vw-skoda