Water in lowest boot floor

I'd be really interested to learn the source of J's boot water.?

Checked mine - dry as a bone. No sunroof. No rear trim disturbed other than for tow bar fitting (factory prep).

There's a load of 'off topic' frothing on this thread  that contributes 0% of bu99er all, and whilst wanting to do nothing to compromise free speech and open debate, it's not helping!

My 2p

I too would be really interested to know the source of J's and Merlinman's boot water. Just like Merlinman I have no sunroof and no signs of where the water is coming in. I also have a tow bar that i believe was retro fitted by Skoda. 

On my old one I finally traced the leak to I think from the high level brake light. First thought it was the top of the hatchback window, and sealed that, but it still continued and then noticed the water appeared to be coming in round the light.

Then I part-ex'd the car!

• Like 1

Thanks Llanigraham, so did you use something like Captain Tolley's around the high level brake light as opposed to taking the trim panels off from the tailgate and repairing the broken seal? 

Edited by aceblade

Thanks Llanigraham, so did you use something like Captain Tolley's around the high level brake light as opposed to taking the trim panels off from the tailgate and repairing the broken seal? 

Yes, good old Cap'n Tolley's.

Robin, 

I prefer a pint of The Waen Pamplemousse, but am making do with a glass of Rose. (with a circumflex but i can't do one on here!)

Edited by Llanigraham
  • Like 2

^ circumflex, isn't that something to do with a 'religious' ceremony? sorry guys off to the corner, its been a long tiring weekend making an exhibition of myself in fouesnant!

Edited by Frenchtone
  • Like 2

I too would be really interested to know the source of J's and Merlinman's boot water. Just like Merlinman I have no sunroof and no signs of where the water is coming in. I also have a tow bar that i believe was retro fitted by Skoda. 

As I said in post 66 (http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/291529-water-in-lowest-boot-floor/?p=3498422) they replaced the sunroof pipes.

Since then I've never had any water in the boot again so I'm convinced whatever it was (on my car) got fixed by the new sunroof drain pipes.

Yes, good old Cap'n Tolley's.

Robin, 

I prefer a pint of The Waen Pamplemousse, but am making do with a glass of Rose. (with a circumflex but i can't do one on here!)

Do you mean Rosé?

The acute accent is available on most keyboards using "ALT GR + e" using Windows (or by holding e to choose from several alternatives in iOS, the Apple operating system).

• 2 years later...
On 13/10/2013 at 19:39, Llanigraham said:

That's funny, because when I changed my boot floor to fit the spare wheel kit, mine was similar (not as deep). I checked the whole area and could find no water marks anywhere, so wonder whether it has come in from the bottom when I've been paddling?

Did you fix this problem..I have water also in box in boot of yeti.. nothing else wet..What is solution? Please

Maybe you no longer have yet but I'd b glad of help

On 22/05/2016 at 17:40, aceblade said:

Was it the brake light leak causing boot water ..I know your post is old I just need solution..like you no dents just solutions thanks

2 hours ago, Angusleo said:

Did you fix this problem..I have water also in box in boot of yeti.. nothing else wet..What is solution? Please

Maybe you no longer have yet but I'd b glad of help

No longer have the car, but never found where the leak came from, so drilled a small hole in the plastic and just left it to drain away.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but yesterday following a puncture, I needed to use the jack to change the wheel over. Having not looked in that area for a loooooong tome, I was surprised to find the jack and wheel wrench were rusty and the containing polystyrene box was rust stained to about three inches from the bottom. All items though were perfectly dry, despite the very wet weather we have had recently (the vehicle currently lives outside,) but water must have been in there at some time. There is no other indication of water ingress anywhere in the boot area. The car does NOT have a sunroof, and I have owned the car from new, so I know there has been no accident damage or work done in this area previously.

Having read the whole of this thread, there does not seem to be a definitive solution, although some possibilities have been suggested; ie. high level brake light, rear light cluster, fuel filler aperture, leaking seal around the outer box etc.

Could any of you helpful people who have managed to find a cure please let me know what the cause was? I am not sure I still have the problem, but water was definitely getting in at some time, and your knowledge may save me dismantling more than necessary in my investigation.

Many thanks in advance - Trevor M

On 22/02/2019 at 16:23, Llanigraham said:

No longer have the car, but never found where the leak came from, so drilled a small hole in the plastic and just left it to drain away.

13 minutes ago, Trevor M said:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but yesterday following a puncture, I needed to use the jack to change the wheel over. Having not looked in that area for a loooooong tome, I was surprised to find the jack and wheel wrench were rusty and the containing polystyrene box was rust stained to about three inches from the bottom. All items though were perfectly dry, despite the very wet weather we have had recently (the vehicle currently lives outside,) but water must have been in there at some time. There is no other indication of water ingress anywhere in the boot area. The car does NOT have a sunroof, and I have owned the car from new, so I know there has been no accident damage or work done in this area previously.

Having read the whole of this thread, there does not seem to be a definitive solution, although some possibilities have been suggested; ie. high level brake light, rear light cluster, fuel filler aperture, leaking seal around the outer box etc.

Could any of you helpful people who have managed to find a cure please let me know what the cause was? I am not sure I still have the problem, but water was definitely getting in at some time, and your knowledge may save me dismantling more than necessary in my investigation.

Many thanks in advance - Trevor M

As I stated above Trevor!

Thanks Graham - I had seen your solution and I may have to resort to that, but I was hoping to be able to 'cure the disease rather than treat the symptoms.' The problem may be difficult to find in my case (as it seems to have been in others,) as the box is now dry after all the rain we have had.

Any other suggestions welcome please.

1 hour ago, Trevor M said:

The problem may be difficult to find in my case (as it seems to have been in others,) as the box is now dry after all the rain we have had.

Does your rear screen wash work?

3 hours ago, Trevor M said:

Thanks Graham - I had seen your solution and I may have to resort to that, but I was hoping to be able to 'cure the disease rather than treat the symptoms.' The problem may be difficult to find in my case (as it seems to have been in others,) as the box is now dry after all the rain we have had.

I sprayed the whole area around the "battery box" with a talc like leak tracing powder and could find no tracks of water going towards the box, and considering that the edge of the box is raised above the boot floor suggesting like a leak from the rear washers just could not work. The only slight "show" of moisture were from a couple of spots on the gasket under the edge of the box, so I suppose capillary action could eventually cause a "flood" in the box.
I just drilled a hole and didn't keep anything there; suppose it could have made a neat wine/beer cooler.

Thanks Graham and Urrell. 

Urrell - Yes, the rear screen wash is working fine.; I have run it for a considerable time and there is no sign of water appearing from beneath the trim panel, so I am assuming this is not what caused the water in the polysterene 'jack box.'

For now it is perfectly dry, so I will keep an eye on it. I will report back here if I ever see it again and discover the cause.

Thanks again.

Trevor M.

• Like 2