Getting ready for the Nordic winter

HenrietteK

Ha, you dont know what winter is...

You want to experience British winters.

We get Ice, rain, sleet, gales, snow... even leaves on the railway tracks...

And does our country grind to a halt?...

Basically yes :D

Let us know how you go with the webasto, I thought they were mainly for preheating diesels, not the mini engined Citigo.

• Like 1

Let us know how you go with the webasto, I thought they were mainly for preheating diesels, not the mini engined Citigo.

Well, I suppose they are but after watching my husband get into his preheated and snow free car the whole of last winter, leaving me standing there looking like an idiot....Well, I want one as well! ;-)

Sendt fra min GT-I9300 med Tapatalk

• Like 1

Oh no! Is winter coming this year as well?

Norway usually grinds to a halt as well. One could be forgiven for believing that the Norwegian vikings would know how to deal with the winters, but every year it's the same. 1cm of snow and it utter chaos on the roads.

I'm currently going one step further and are currently winter-insulating my garage. So now my Citigo can sleep indoors at a cosy 20 degrees all winter :)

• Like 2

Tell me about it, was having a good old slide around last weekend and trying to get away from stations was a nightmare    :yes:

I guess you are a train driver?  Have the trains not got auto sanding?  We have auto sanding on the trams and a button to drop sand if extra is needed.

Yes, time to change tires and get the chains out. You guys use those, right?

Nah.. most people don't have chains. I have a set lying about, but I can count on one finger the number of times I've needed it (and you can bet that when that time comes, the chains are left at home anyways). :)

Wintertires on the other hand - yeah I've already changed to those. Some people swear to studless (usually these people have never tried studless), i use studless only. Again, I can count on one finger the number of times I wished I had studded instead.

Edited by loadinglevelone

I guess you are a train driver?  Have the trains not got auto sanding?  We have auto sanding on the trams and a button to drop sand if extra is needed.

Yep, I'm a Train Driver. We have Sanders but most only work automatically  in 2 brake settings and Emergency. The rails are so bad sometimes that we only use the lightest brake application and drop sand manually. We can also drop sand manually on pulling away from stations.

I drive 158 units and those have a form of ABS fitted, if wheel slide is detected the brakes apply and release instantly. 158's have disc brakes so the wheels don't get cleaned by the brakes where as other units have tread brakes which clean the wheels.

Network Rail have a Sandite train which jet washes the rail and drops Sandite, it's like a gel containing sand this helps but the rails soon get slippy again. 

Yep, I'm a Train Driver. We have Sanders but most only work automatically  in 2 brake settings and Emergency. The rails are so bad sometimes that we only use the lightest brake application and drop sand manually. We can also drop sand manually on pulling away from stations.

I drive 158 units and those have a form of ABS fitted, if wheel slide is detected the brakes apply and release instantly. 158's have disc brakes so the wheels don't get cleaned by the brakes where as other units have tread brakes which clean the wheels.

Network Rail have a Sandite train which jet washes the rail and drops Sandite, it's like a gel containing sand this helps but the rails soon get slippy again. 

Thats interesting. I am now retired,but one of my careers was tram driving. On the old trams you had to drop sand manually,but on the new trams it was automatic.Pulling away was not too bad but stopping was another story.Thank goodness i never over shot the station.

The dead man on trams is operated by pushing down on the TBC ( Throttle ). I have noticed train drivers do not need to keep their hand on this,so is the dead man operated by foot?

I like  Virgins tilting trains and would have loved to have a go on them. I did apply years ago,but they did not have any vacancies. I must say i do prefer being retired though lol.

• Like 1