Question for those with heated windscreen

How does it work - is it much the same as the Ford QuickClear ones? I.e. is there a visible heating element grid covering the windscreen?

I'd like to have the heated windscreen, but not sure I could live with it if it is as visible as it is on Fords.

The one on our Yeti is very much like that fitted to the Fords of the Nineties but a great bit of kit and about the only time I notice the wires is in thick fog. Have opted for it again with the Octy order as part of the winter pack.

TP

Yes, just like the Ford, but the elements are not as obvious in the Octy as I recall from my last Ford which was a 1999 Focus. Not really sure what the latest Ford ones are like.

Edited by Matt Pez

Well I wasn't aware of any method other than the Ford one, but vaguely remembered reading about some new technology that claimed to not need visible wires.

Thanks guys - Sounds like I might be better off giving it a miss - the windscreen on my friend's Focus would drive me mad if I drove it every day.

Well I wasn't aware of any method other than the Ford one, but vaguely remembered reading about some new technology that claimed to not need visible wires.

Thanks guys - Sounds like I might be better off giving it a miss - the windscreen on my friend's Focus would drive me mad if I drove it every day.

I still think it is worth the cash, I would have paid the full £400 for just the heated screen, and the heated seats and washers are a bonus! I had it on my 2006 Passat and missed it sooo much on my 2009 Superb, it was the first option I ticked on my Octy III.

Aircraft use a gold film method but that might make the windscreen worth more than the car :giggle:

TP

Naturally I was referring to automotive use - although heaven knows what might get fitted to a Rolls Royce...

I think ford own the patent for the function and method, so they are all the same. I can't have one as the heating elements annoy me to the point of distraction.

Some see them, most don't.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Edited by gt40

I'll tell you what's even more annoying than visible heating elements.

This at the bottom of every single post from some users "Sent from my *whatever fondle slab it is" using Tapatalk:wall:

• Like 3

I'll tell you what's even more annoying than visible heating elements.

This at the bottom of every single post from some users "Sent from my *whatever fondle slab it is" using Tapatalk" :wall:

If I could, I'd fit you a windscreen with that signature inscribed. Now that would be annoying whilst driving, unlike signatures on posts on an internet forum.

fwiw - I agree that the type of device is irrelevant, but the message indicates the post was created on a phone, so may explain the brevity. In a way it's being polite.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Yes, just like the Ford, but the elements are not as obvious in the Octy as I recall from my last Ford which was a 1999 Focus. Not really sure what the latest Ford ones are like.

The heated screen option on the VRS diesel was the deal-clincher for me (having always driven Fords previously).

My wife has a March 2013 Fiesta and I have to say the elements are more visible than those on my 2007 Focus CC.

Having said that, her screen clears thick frost in 35-45 seconds whereas mine takes around a minute.