Has anyone put a 6 speed gearbox in their Octy VRS?

I assume that as the 180bhp Leon Cupra uses the same AUQ engine, it's 6 speed box would drop straight in? You can buy these gearboxes for a lot less than £500+vat, but what are the other costs? Are the clutch and flywheel the same? What about the gear remote/selector? What about shafts?

I've read the excellent Briskoda Octavia Tuning Overview which I have quoted below, but this route seems a bit complicated :confused: :

Cheapest option, that will take about 340 lb/ft is the Audi TT 225 6 speed gearbox. These are available from Jabbasport for £250. To mate these to a FWD Octavia you will need to plate over the transfer case (its easier than removing it). If running a 4x4, leave it open. It will bolt straight on to the engine with no other mods. At the same time as this you will also need to change the driveshafts (one side effect of this is that you will now have more equal length drive shafts  ) . Don’t fit the ones from a TTG as this will entail fitting new wishbones due to their 1” wider track The ones to fit are the ones off the A3 1.8T Quattro. Get them from a scrappy, an Audi dealer or better yet, Quaiffe if you want them to be bombproof. Quaiffe are currently quoting 14 weeks lead time for these. If you have already fitted an uprated clutch and flywheel, be prepared to bin it frown.gif as the spline sizes are different. Ratios in this aren’t that much different in 1st and 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th are all closer together and 6th is the same as the standard RS.

when i was looking at putting a 6 speed in my 4x4 after box failure i was told i would need new shafts, clutch, fly wheel, alternator, starter motor, transfer box aswell as the box to get it all working.

not sure if its the same for the FWD??

Tavia Rs did hundreds of laps of the ring in his Rs with I believe a std box & it survived so I dont think the ring caused the demise of the box neither to I think the std boxes are unreliable, this is assuming your car is reosnably std & if modded is not much over 250 bhp.

If its higher power that might have something to do with it. I looked at putting a 6 speed out of a 225 TT in my 4x4 & was quoted about

Get yourself a 2WD 02M box and driveshafts and your away.

Des has 6 speeds in his Octavia vRS (Declac).

I beg to differ, my m8 has got a 6 speed box. :rofl:

The 02M box out of an LCR or 180 2WD TT will fit. The clutch is 240mm so you will need a new flywheel and clutch unless its still attached to the box. The 02M and EO clutch will take 300+bhp easily. You will need different drive shafts, linkage, hockey stick and few other bits and pieces.

Hope that helps, good luck. :thumbup:

Tavia Rs did hundreds of laps of the ring in his Rs with I believe a std box & it survived so I dont think the ring caused the demise of the box neither to I think the std boxes are unreliable, this is assuming your car is reosnably std & if modded is not much over 250 bhp.

If it was over 250bhp I wouldn't be complaining but its only 171bhp :confused: :)

6 speed sounds like a bit of hassle,but it's worth ago. Can't see me finding a LCR, so how about the plain old 180bhp Cupra? Does this run the bigger flywheel etc?

Also if 02M is the code of the 6 speed, what is the code of the standard 5 speed, and what other cars can it be found in?

My ears are burning :)

Yep, I had a standard box in mine - did a grand total of 138,000 miles before I sold it including more than 11,500 track miles.

All I had go wrong, drivetrain-wise, was:

Flywheel and clutch - clutch exploded and damaged the flywheel.

Synchro on 2nd and 5th went at 129,000 miles - replaced under warranty.

Otherwise, gearbox was fine.

O2M is the way forward - but dont even bother trying to talk to JBS, I have a big wad of cash sitting on a desk in front of me which i have been trying to GIVE to them (in exchange for a gearbox obviously!) but they are just not interested in the business. Guess they just don't really care about us Skoda peeps eh?

Hi Dave.

There is an issue at the moment with a part that we require to do this conversion.

I am at the moment trying to sort this out.

I am not prepared to book anything in if I am not happy with the product required to fit the 6 speed box in.

When I am happy that this has been fully ok`d that the product is back up to our standard then I will be in touch with you.

I am sure that this can be confirmed by a member of this forum.

I do not like to disscuss issues like this on a public forum.

But you can be assured that when I am 100% happy that this issue is back up to JBS`s standards then I WILL be in touch with you.You have my 100% guarantee with that.

We like all customers to be happy with any modifications that is done on their cars here,so to that in mind I will not want to start letting people down.

If you want to know more please feel free to PM me as I will not go in to this any further onn here.

Thank you all.

Yes we will book in for more 6 speed boxes when all is ok.

Sarah

I asked nicely, provided Skoda warranty with a list of ALL my mods and they authorised the garage to do the work, simple. The joys of 3 years unlimited mileage warranty :D

I have a big wad of cash sitting on a desk in front of me which i have been trying to GIVE to them (in exchange for a gearbox obviously!)

Dave let me relieve you of that large wad of cash, I've got a 1940 Singer sowing machine in my garage. It's got a bit flywheel on it so I'm sure it will do the job. What do you think? :D

can't argue with that :)

i company that won't do work and put its name to things unless its 100%' date=' seems sensible[/quote']

Why thank you.

It does seem a bit harsh on customers , but we do like all to go well when we do mods.

Even a small priced mod can come back and haunt you if not done correctly or parts used are not 100%.

We are getting a good name and I would like to keep it that way.

But I will post on this forum prices for the conversion to 6 speed when all is good.

Thank you

Sarah

• 3 years later...
I thought the 5 speed box was considered stronger than the 6 speed? And also, the final gear is the same in both boxes isn't it?

If these are both true, what's the benefit?

No way, the 02M sisx speed is a multishaft gearbox and much stronger with better selectors than the 5 speed. Its not perfect but its stronger.