She is nearly here

I ordered my new 170 DSG twin door L&K in Petrol Blue with Ivory interior the first week in August and I take delivery of it in 2 days time on Friday. The car was shipped over to the UK in just 8 weeks and spent a while sitting in the docks at Sheerness.

Just wondering if it so quick because it's an L&K rather then the Elegance, so that particular model may be slower selling so they were able to make quicker or what?

Either way I'm really looking forward to driving her Friday but at the same time sad to part with my current model which has not been any trouble at all and the only problem is the LED / Bulb the illuminates the OSF door handle has failed. Utterly brilliant cars and this one will my 4th Superb.

If anyone is interested I'll post a few photos on here when I get her.

That is a good lead time, I am ordered the same 3 weeks back (Capachino not Petrol BLue) and it is coming in in March.  Agree with the sentiment this is my second, the first is the only car I have had that has not broken down for anything - well a bulb did blow the other day!.  Previous was and A6 that needed 3 gearboxes in its life!

That is a good lead time, I am ordered the same 3 weeks back (Capachino not Petrol BLue) and it is coming in in March.  Agree with the sentiment this is my second, the first is the only car I have had that has not broken down for anything - well a bulb did blow the other day!.  Previous was and A6 that needed 3 gearboxes in its life!

My second was the same colour, its nice.  They really are a well kept secret in the car world. I think its down to the badge snobs, hard luck for them, we can laugh and enjoy our cars.

Strange about your A6 seeing as it uses many of the same parts as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Graham interesting post. I ordered L&K in black with beige interior two weeks ago, ant back to the dealer today to ask for hill hold to be added. Whilst i was there he looked on the syetm and said the build has been scheduled for week 2 2014, he reckons 3 days to build and two weeks to ship. If i have to wait four moths I am gong to be very disappointed.

Dif you use the Track My Skoda website? Went on it today shows car is waiting for build date but dealer site shows 2nd week in January.

Like you Superb Elegance, 7 years of enjoyable driving , so looking forward to the L&K

Raptor, on 30 Nov 2013 - 14:15, said:

Hi Graham interesting post. I ordered L&K in black with beige interior two weeks ago, ant back to the dealer today to ask for hill hold to be added. Whilst i was there he looked on the syetm and said the build has been scheduled for week 2 2014, he reckons 3 days to build and two weeks to ship. If i have to wait four moths I am gong to be very disappointed.

Dif you use the Track My Skoda website? Went on it today shows car is waiting for build date but dealer site shows 2nd week in January.

Like you Superb Elegance, 7 years of enjoyable driving , so looking forward to the L&K

Hi Raptor,

I didn't, use the web site, basically because I didn't know it was there. My dealer kept me informed throughout the process via emails, very good dealer I must say (Preston's of London). I would go with the dealers site as that should be more up to date surely?

My car has a few little niggles to sort out on it though, the headlamp clusters have condensation in them, the cornering lights don't shine enough into the corner to be effective and the touch screen on the radio seems to be a bit dead in places at times and at others its a bit laggy, otherwise its living up to the usual high standards.

The TV function works really well if you have strong signal, move away from the major cities and it stops working but I expect that they will boost the signals soon, same also goes for the DAB radio so at the moment its a good job that the FM is also there to use.

I'm not to sure about the hill start, what made you think you needed it?

The stop, start takes a bit of getting used to, the first times its a bit scary but stick with it, it works really well and if you're on a hill, then slowly easing your foot of the brake will start the engine so the gears start to up the traction enough to prevent you rolling backwards by the time your foot is completely off the brakes. 

Last car never had the stop / start and I never felt the need for hill start, if in any doubt, there is always the handbrake.

I have taken a few photos, but sadly there are to big for posting so waiting for decent weather and will take some more with the camera set on a slightly smaller picture size and will post them on here.

Enjoy your L&K when it comes.

But there have been stories of the build dates varying markedly. Supposedly the only time the build date can be set in stone is if it's within a couple of weeks and confirmed by the factory.

Ian

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the feedback on the issues you are experiencing, does spoil the enjoyment a little but I am sure they will be resolved to your satisfaction. Will look out for them.

Regarding the hill hold, the brochure shows hill hold as an optional extra but the salesmen advised me it was not needed. Thought about it for a while tun went back this Saturday to try

the new L & K demonstrator and I asked him to try stopping on the sloping path to the the car park. He stopped on the hill, took his foot off the brake to hit the accelerator and the car rolled 

backwards.

Sure it is possible to do without it by the using the manual method of hand bake release. However, having been driving the 2.5 V6 auto I am used to the car holding on hills and wanted the L & K to do the same.

The hill hold works for 2 seconds long enough for the change in foot position from brake to accelerator.

Another thread on this site has shown the purchase of the hill hold to be worth it. I think as I am getting older the more aides the better. :0)

Enjoy the driving.

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the feedback on the issues you are experiencing, does spoil the enjoyment a little but I am sure they will be resolved to your satisfaction. Will look out for them.

Regarding the hill hold, the brochure shows hill hold as an optional extra but the salesmen advised me it was not needed. Thought about it for a while tun went back this Saturday to try

the new L & K demonstrator and I asked him to try stopping on the sloping path to the the car park. He stopped on the hill, took his foot off the brake to hit the accelerator and the car rolled 

backwards.

Sure it is possible to do without it by the using the manual method of hand bake release. However, having been driving the 2.5 V6 auto I am used to the car holding on hills and wanted the L & K to do the same.

The hill hold works for 2 seconds long enough for the change in foot position from brake to accelerator.

Another thread on this site has shown the purchase of the hill hold to be worth it. I think as I am getting older the more aides the better. :0)

Enjoy the driving.

Hi Raptor,

I fully understand where your coming from and of course it's your choice, however I did experience that slight tendency to roll in the wrong direction on certain slopes on the old car which was a 140 DSG, the 170 DSG does not seem to suffer in that dept. Of course if the slope is bad enough then I'm sure it would a bit but I have always found the hand brake effective enough. 

Hill hold is great.  I had it on my last car (a manual MINI Clubman Cooper S) and it was very useful.  I don't have it on my Superb although apparently it can simply be enabled through VCDS coding - I'll give this a go when I can.  Quite apart from the system working well I also believe it works on all four wheels rather than the handbrake working on just two.  If in the French Alps during the snowy season (which is where I'll be taking mine) this could be a definite bonus!

Michael

Hill hold is great.  I had it on my last car (a manual MINI Clubman Cooper S) and it was very useful.  I don't have it on my Superb although apparently it can simply be enabled through VCDS coding - I'll give this a go when I can.  Quite apart from the system working well I also believe it works on all four wheels rather than the handbrake working on just two.  If in the French Alps during the snowy season (which is where I'll be taking mine) this could be a definite bonus!

Michael

Hi Michael,

Yes I can see why it would be useful under the conditions you describe, I was considering it myself, but stopped short of ordering as I have been driving now for over 47 years and have never had any trouble with hill starts during that time, both with manual and auto transmission. Maybe that is because I have driven buses, coaches and lorries during that time where the extra weight involved could cause them to roll backwards on a hill start, especially when you're not too familiar with the vehicle so to be safe, have always used the handbrake under such conditions. This is what we were taught to when going through the bus driving school before being allowed to drive buses on the public road and I suppose old habits die hard.

Graham

HI Graham, what is the latest update, have you had the issues resolved? How is the driving experience?

Really looking forward to next year when it arrives. Skoda UK have been very helpful regarding production dates, asked me to call back next week by then the date for production should be set, also advised to call as many times as I wished for an update. Cannot ask for more then that.

Regards

John

Raptor, on 09 Dec 2013 - 14:49, said:

HI Graham, what is the latest update, have you had the issues resolved? How is the driving experience?

Really looking forward to next year when it arrives. Skoda UK have been very helpful regarding production dates, asked me to call back next week by then the date for production should be set, also advised to call as many times as I wished for an update. Cannot ask for more then that.

Regards

John

Hi John,

No the little problems are still there, just have not had the time to spare to go back to the dealer to get them checked over. The driving experience is as always excellent although the Start / Stop system does take a little bit of getting used to, it works well though and it seems like it is governed as well by the engine temperature and battery voltage. The system does not kick in until the engine reaches normal running temperature but sometimes it starts up on its own if in a long traffic jam and you have items like headlights on which would drain the battery, and after running for few minutes it switches off again.

I also really notice the extra grunt of the 30 extra horses in the engine bay, overtaking is accomplished with ease, not that the 140 engine was a slouch. I also like the easier method of opening the boot, either as a saloon or a hatch, with each type having there own dedicated  buttons now. 

With luck, your car will be on time as well and then you can enjoy the little extra luxury touches of the L&K.

One observation I can make is that even with all of the old TV transmitters now only broadcasting Freeview digital TV, the reception is still very poor unless you happen to live in a major city, sometimes just moving a few yards makes the difference between being able to get a signal or not. The same is also true with DAB radio and with the planned shutting down of the old FM transmitters I hope and pray that they resolve the patchiness of the current system before then.

Regards,

Graham

Thanks Graham good to know what little issues may be a facet of owing the car rather then real issue.

Not surprised that start stop turns off when cold or stuck in traffic, as you mention it is most certainly due to the battery sensors shouting "feed me". 

I know of others who have dab radio in the house and it very much a hit and miss affair, so being on the move undoubtedly exacerbates the problem. A fine example of where new technology is not necessarily a step forward.

Regards

John

Very nice, liking the LED tail lights.

The L&K alloys look the part too, although I wouldn't be able to keep them clean!

I want one in Moon White Metallic!

Edited by silver1011

• 2 months later...

Excellent photos the blue looks better than I thought it would, really like it. Thought I recognised the aeroplane is that in Chelmford? Was over there last year visiting relatives.

Regards

John

Excellent photos the blue looks better than I thought it would, really like it. Thought I recognised the aeroplane is that in Chelmford? Was over there last year visiting relatives.

Regards

John

John, The plane is not in Chelmsford but at nearby North Weald Airfield where it is used as a gate guard. Its actually a fibre glass model although airfield does have some good examples of war birds that are based there and can be seen at many air shows around the country each year.

That's a really nice colour and the ivory very works with it! The alloys do make it special but are hard to keep clean. Hope you're enjoying it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I agree the ivory works well with the dark colour and it makes the interior feel so much larger and airier and thus a much more pleasant place to spend many happy hours of driving. As for the wheels, they always seem to be easy to clean as the car usually only gets a automated car wash and they always look sparkling.  

I'd find it difficult to go back to a dark interior but it means having to stick to dark exterior colours to make it work well. I would definitely consider that blue next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk