Company car means I am going to have to sell my Skoda :-(

R11KUP

My company has kindly offered me a company car as I'm racking up the miles on mine.

While the company car is going to save me money in the long run it pains me to have to sell my p&j

The new car is a entry level Astra diesel estate. No leather. No heated seats. No climate control. No personality.

Edited by damo :-)
Obvious For Sale post

Nearly deleted this thread, but that would also mean deleting jars excellent comment

I didn't want to do that

To the OP, repeated covert for sale adverts will be dealt with accordingly (including status update sales pitches)

Thanks for your co-operation

Damo

• Like 4

As a company car driver and seeing how much tax I pay for the so called privilege, if I were you I would keep doing what you are doing as you are much better off using your car and claiming mileage expense.

Ask yourself why your employer wants to give you a car? Cheaper for them too therefore better for the employer than the employee.

Think it through before you get blinded by the idea of a brand new car.

As a company car driver and seeing how much tax I pay for the so called privilege, if I were you I would keep doing what you are doing as you are much better off using your car and claiming mileage expense.

Ask yourself why your employer wants to give you a car? Cheaper for them too therefore better for the employer than the employee.

Think it through before you get blinded by the idea of a brand new car.

Good point James. My old man get s company car allowance and I've asked him on many occassions why he doesn't just get a new car rather than driving his tired old Laguna around.

His point is he only does 15k max per year, the Renault (don't shoot me down) has been trouble free, he's a former mechanic so servicing costs bugger all and the lump each month that he gets from his firm gets shovelled away in to an off shore account somewhere  ;) . Maybe not for everyone but it works for him.

• Like 1

Companies do not do anything for employees unless it is also advantageous for them.

A car supplied by a company will get yourself a huge slice of company car tax as Benefit In Kind (BIK).  Astra have pretty high sale prices, even for Entry level modules and not sure of the CO2 is down to the 99 gram level like the new version of the Vauxhall "Insignificant" so BIK is quite high for what is a quite awful car.

Then companies usually change the rate you can claim or reclaim fuel costs unless you get a fuel card and then it depends if your private miles are given to you our you have to reimburse the company.  But not the tax efficient (aka tax avoiding) measure it use to be.

The two preferred options for drivers who have to do heaps of miles is either the underwritten PCP lease arrangement with an cash allowance which could be anything from a couple of hundred pounds to a thousand or so per month or a car allowance of similar proportions where you can pick you own car and then a fuel card or reclaiming for business miles at a lower rate typically the fuel price rate of around 12-15 ppm.

Beware of companies bearing gifts.        

• Like 2

I worked out my annual spend on the Octavia and it exceeded a grand. Total cost of the Astra £780 p/a in tax. No brainier really, it also means if I can't get into work one day due to car trouble, it's the companies problem, not mine like it has been in the past!

It will be a shame to sell it but hey ho.

Apologies for the first post, didn't realise I was not allowed to do that!

My company has kindly offered me a company car as I'm racking up the miles on mine.

While the company car is going to save me money in the long run it pains me to have to sell my p&j

The new car is a entry level Astra diesel estate. No leather. No heated seats. No climate control. No personality.

Ask them if you can have a top of the range Fabia fas it will be about the same amount :).........................or resign :D

I know. How ironic!

For the moment it has to be the Astra as it has become available since somebody left. Next year should mean a brand new option. Might look at the fabia estate ;-)