Wet carpets in the back

Craig85

Hi all, new to the vag world here so this is my first Octavia. I picked it up yesterday and new it had one or two little issues to contend with but this one I don't know where to start looking as nothing is visible from where the soggy carpet is situated.

It's mainly in the passenger rear, the bit of carpet between the plastic trim that holds the carpet down and between the seat base is rather damp and then the corner of the actual foot well closest to that bit is very damp and wet but in a 3" diameter.

Is this something others have suffered from and is there a probable and likely cause that's easy to fix?

Any help will be most appreciated :)

Hi all, new to the vag world here so this is my first Octavia. I picked it up yesterday and new it had one or two little issues to contend with but this one I don't know where to start looking as nothing is visible from where the soggy carpet is situated.

It's mainly in the passenger rear, the bit of carpet between the plastic trim that holds the carpet down and between the seat base is rather damp and then the corner of the actual foot well closest to that bit is very damp and wet but in a 3" diameter.

Is this something others have suffered from and is there a probable and likely cause that's easy to fix?

Hi there buddy. Welcome to forum and the octavia.

My guess is a door rubber is damaged and letting water through to the rear carpet. Check the rubber and if it stll has a tight seal.

Sent from my Samsung S3

So is it one of those things that is reasonably common? I did have a look at the rubbers but it all looks ok but I've never seen inside another octavia before.

I shall have another look tomorrow then and see what I can find.

If any other options to check just incase that'll be good but I must admit I was wondering if would be the sills.

Are they easy or rather reasonably cheap to get hold of to replace or is there another fox that can be done?

So is it one of those things that is reasonably common? I did have a look at the rubbers but it all looks ok but I've never seen inside another octavia before.

I shall have another look tomorrow then and see what I can find.

If any other options to check just incase that'll be good but I must admit I was wondering if would be the sills.

Are they easy or rather reasonably cheap to get hold of to replace or is there another fox that can be done?

This is a common issue buddy you can probably search water leak in rear and get load of results.

What can happen is rain runs down the inside of door and drops out bottom holes onto bottom door seal. If the seal is bad or not tight the water can actually travel inside seal up over door metal lip and into footwell. So don't just check seal for breaks but check if the metal crush lining in seal is tight on door lip. If not get pliers an crush the metal groove together. Worst case get another seal.

Also check roof lining and rear quarter panel as the tailgate washer pipe runs in roof lining to rear quarter panel and up into tailgate. The pipe has a join and this can leak or split to.

Sent from my Samsung S3

• Like 1

Thanks for that reply, I will set about checking that tomorrow then. Sounds similar to my friends cupra r, his was like a swimming pool in all footwells when he got it :(

Great help, it's made me much happier that it isn't an odd issue and hopefully it'll be the end of it after tomorrow then.

I have searched for water leaks and so on but most referred to the drainage channels wing blocked by leaves or some referring to the windscreen rubbers.

Thanks very much mate :D

Thanks for that reply, I will set about checking that tomorrow then. Sounds similar to my friends cupra r, his was like a swimming pool in all footwells when he got it :(

Great help, it's made me much happier that it isn't an odd issue and hopefully it'll be the end of it after tomorrow then.

I have searched for water leaks and so on but most referred to the drainage channels wing blocked by leaves or some referring to the windscreen rubbers.

Thanks very much mate :D

No worries you are welcome.

The golf and seat leon all share same floor pan as the octavia so all have same wiring and common faults too.

Hope you get it fixed buddy.

Sent from my Samsung S3

No worries you are welcome.

The golf and seat leon all share same floor pan as the octavia so all have same wiring and common faults too.

Hope you get it fixed buddy.

Sent from my Samsung S3

Thanks very much, new they were similar but not identical with certain things.

Just waiting on my door solenoid coming through, worked out they seem very similar throughout the ranges.

Will post up some progress as soon as it looks like I'm getting somewhere, cheers :)

I had the same problem last year on my Octy1.I drilled 2 small holes in the bottom of each door just in case the water was building up in the door and spilling over into the footwell.Seems to have worked as no prob since.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will keep it in mind incase the other option doesn't work out.

rather than drill new holes, you may want to unblock any drain holes in the door as their are loads.

• Like 1

rather than drill new holes, you may want to unblock any drain holes in the door as their are loads.

Will admit I'd rather do this in fairness. Will see what's what when I get back to the car in a while then.

Take it the drains are in the underside of the door though near the rubber seal strip?

Will admit I'd rather do this in fairness. Will see what's what when I get back to the car in a while then.

Take it the drains are in the underside of the door though near the rubber seal strip?

yep.

It don't take much crud to fill them up from the rubbish that can drop into the door. Also you should remove your door panel and check if you have the original plastic door membrane/skin still intact. This stops the rain water dripping through door and between door panel and onto floor also. A lot of folks damage the door membrane/skin when either repairing  window regulators or fitting speakers. If you find it damaged,  definitely the probable cause of water ingress as well. As your door will have no 100% shield protecting water in car. 

Ah ok that's something I will have a check of too. I never got a chance to strip it down or investigate today as when I got back in the heavens opened and it wouldn't have been a great idea to be doing that.

All the advice is much appreciated and hopefully will provide a permanent fix to my current issue.

Fingers crossed I can have a go on it tomorrow :)

Well I attacked the rear ns door today and after going round the seal, all seemed well so set about trying to remove the rear door card.

All went well apart from not being able to get it out at the top, would not part from round the window however it gave me enough room to see what people had suggested.

The drains were clear and free flowing but the inner plastic cover wasn't attatched to the door itself and the bottom of the door card was lets say, rather wet.!

Dried everything off and made sure was all fastened nicely down in place and have now got it back together so just have to see how it goes.

Also set about trying to re align the front bumper as wasn't sat correctly and was winding me up and found its obviously been off before as numerous torx screws and bolts are missing with the temp sender thing dangling down on the wire.

Taking the opportunity to re black the run strips whilst all out too so hopefully will look more presentable come the end of it.

No pics I'm afraid as had to shoot of to collect my son from school.

Just a big thanks for all the suggestions regarding the leak an hopefully it'll now be sorted :D

Well I attacked the rear ns door today and after going round the seal, all seemed well so set about trying to remove the rear door card.

All went well apart from not being able to get it out at the top, would not part from round the window however it gave me enough room to see what people had suggested.

The drains were clear and free flowing but the inner plastic cover wasn't attatched to the door itself and the bottom of the door card was lets say, rather wet.!

Dried everything off and made sure was all fastened nicely down in place and have now got it back together so just have to see how it goes.

Also set about trying to re align the front bumper as wasn't sat correctly and was winding me up and found its obviously been off before as numerous torx screws and bolts are missing with the temp sender thing dangling down on the wire.

Taking the opportunity to re black the run strips whilst all out too so hopefully will look more presentable come the end of it.

No pics I'm afraid as had to shoot of to collect my son from school.

Just a big thanks for all the suggestions regarding the leak an hopefully it'll now be sorted :D

nice one,  hope it sorted it buddy.. :thumbup: