1.2 TSI - 95 or 98 octane petrol?

_N_

I know that there is already a lot of stuff written about which fuel to use with the 1.2TSI, I would like to hear from fellow Rapid owners, which fuel do you use?

So far I've been filling it up with 95 octane petrol, because in the manual, I think it says to use 95 octane, but the dealer told me that it's not a problem to use 98. The 1.2TSI is designated as a 95 octane engine, whereas the 1.4TSI is 95 minimum, which is different.

The fuel tank door has some sticker over the factory stickers and it says to use unleaded petrol, but doesn't say which octane.

• Like 1

I think the owners manual (for all it's worth) says the 1.2 TSI is best used with 95 octane fuel, which is what I've been using. I remain massively dubious that using 98> Octane fuel really gives any benefits with engines like ours, it's a triumph of marketing by the petrol retailers as far as I can see.

I think the owners manual (for all it's worth) says the 1.2 TSI is best used with 95 octane fuel, which is what I've been using. I remain massively dubious that using 98> Octane fuel really gives any benefits with engines like ours, it's a triumph of marketing by the petrol retailers as far as I can see.

Eric, the wife's CitiGo runs on Sainsbury's 97 Ron Unleaded, it's only 3p more than the Standard Stuff, the tank holds 35  Litres and does over 60 + mpg on a run, 

if your Rapid is tuned, if you are driving it quite often at the redline or if you are pushing it too much (high % engine load quite often), i suggest u get some 98 octane gas, provided you can afford it.

what 98 oct gas offers is less possibilities for knock to happen.

if you are driving it like a family car, 95 oct gas is perfect.

my other car is a tuned Opel GT @ 330hp and i only use 98 oct.

but i drive the Rapid smoothly most of the time, so 95 oct from trustworthy gas stations is what it gets.

Just FYI, 98 or other high octane fuels will only significantly increase performance on engines that are provided with turbos, super chargers or the like. A modern normal petrol engine would not get better performance in hp, but because of additives, typically added to these fuels, the sound and smoothness would probably change for the better. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ive always found cars with 98RON get better MPG. I noticed this first time i filled up fully with it. I know someone else who has always found it to provide better MPG. Thats a mix of vehicles consisting Focus, Fiesta and Mazda 6. All proving better on 98/99RON (Shell V Power)

• 1 month later...