Buying a used Skoda with DSG gearbox for taxi purposes..

jman786

I was at a VW main dealer + i am aware that although the engines/ gearboxes are the same as the Skodas sometimes TPIs differ (Technical Product Info)

There is a few TPIs for VW golf mk6 for DSG jerky gear changes.

The 1st thing to make sure is the level is ok.

Then there is the DSG roadtest (with computer) this on its own can sort the jerky changes but doesnt always

They also suffer from clutch issues + sometimes the clutches need replacing

And there was at one stage a gearbox "online update" for them aswell

Then if all else fails (quite rare) it will need a replacement gearbox. But to be fair if replaced it is normally due to something more major than jerky gears.

Please dont go into the dealers saying "i read online" or "my mechanic friend" lol :D

These 2 phrases used to wind me off the clock + i would instantly assume the customer was a tool ;):D

Good luck

I was at a VW main dealer + i am aware that although the engines/ gearboxes are the same as the Skodas sometimes TPIs differ (Technical Product Info)

There is a few TPIs for VW golf mk6 for DSG jerky gear changes.

The 1st thing to make sure is the level is ok.

Then there is the DSG roadtest (with computer) this on its own can sort the jerky changes but doesnt always

They also suffer from clutch issues + sometimes the clutches need replacing

And there was at one stage a gearbox "online update" for them aswell

Then if all else fails (quite rare) it will need a replacement gearbox. But to be fair if replaced it is normally due to something more major than jerky gears.

Please dont go into the dealers saying "i read online" or "my mechanic friend" lol :D

These 2 phrases used to wind me off the clock + i would instantly assume the customer was a tool ;):D

Good luck

Thanks Matt for the tips and advise.

I am still finding it difficult to get a positive statement  supported by a reference to a VAG document, that my vehicle should be the subject of a recall for either an update of software or a re-flash of the ECU.

Your tip regarding winding up the service department is well taken. I have learn't from many years that no one likes a smart arse. 

However,some service depts. do keep the customer in the dark for many reasons. For example when I went for the 2nd service and asked about when to change the DSG oil I was told this was not required until 40,000miles, SUK later told me that the DQ200 is oil sealed for life.

So it does make the punter wonder whether he is coming or going sometimes.

Anyhow many thanks for your input much appreciated.

As far as im aware there isnt/ wasnt a manufacturers recall for any faults regarding the 7 speed DSG gearbox. (I left just over a month ago)

TPI's are problems recognised by the manufacturer with solutions (most of the time). They are to help the dealer Techy's diagnose + rectify problems with new often unknown technology + reduce mis diagnosis :)

One of the problems with Main Dealers is the customer speaks to the Receptionists or "service advisors". Hense the incorrect oil change info lol. These service advisors arent always up to scratch with technical knowledge + they havnt got the car infront of them so dont always get the details right like whether it is 6 or 7 speed :)

So the general feeling im getting here is...DSG is prone to lots of problems and anxiety!!! 

On the other hand, it's the best invention ever for all of us with no problems ... and according to the new boss for the Volksvagen Group drive trains there is a new coating on the clutches from 2012 onward and they should now have been tested for taxi usage as well ... according to Dr. Heinz-Jakob Neusser.

If you can stand a funny Google translation Swedish -> English you find one of the interviews >> HERE >>.

On the other hand, it's the best invention ever for all of us with no problems ... and according to the new boss for the Volksvagen Group drive trains there is a new coating on the clutches from 2012 onward and they should now have been tested for taxi usage as well ... according to Dr. Heinz-Jakob Neusser.

If you can stand a funny Google translation Swedish -> English you find one of the interviews >> HERE >>.

Good article...this gives me confidence. However in the case of not being able to afford a 2012 model (something prior to that) its neither here or there. He seems to be saying buy the newer cars!

That is off putting!

I've had a few problems with manual gearboxes over the years.

Usually just the linkage wearing.

One of which caused a false shift into 2nd instead of 4th and blew the engine up!

Also on our Cordoba the bearings failed in the box causing a total failure of the box.

So I'm no more worried about the DSG than a manual.

Phil

• Like 1

I never had any problems with the DSG 7 dry clutch (done a total of 65k with that box so far)

I'm sure there's a taxi driver on here that has a DSG 6 speed that he's done 200k in, and it then showed a message saying "no clutch adjustment left" but the box was still working "as new" ;)

and like Phil I've had to have several manuals reconned, never had any issue with DSG.... don't they garuntee them for 100k in other countries? (China)

Edited by sharkrider

Have you spoken to the Taxi Drivers in your area on their thoughts on using a Skoda & one with DSG?

What carsvehicles are mostly being used in your district?

If something happened to your Gearbox while under the Original Warranty or an Extended Warranty then something will be covered.

That can sometimes Exclude, Mini Cabs, Couriers, Hire cars etc.

'The Skoda EXtended Warranty does.'

You might  have some kind of Special Insurance or Warranty on Vehicle Use & Mechanical Breakdowns, but normal Fully Comp Insurance cover is not for Car Parts Failure.

george

what things cover george is odd, for example because my car is use (albiet for about 0.5% of its time) as a driving school car, I am not allowed Gap insurance and some other things, BUT the warrenty is fully inclusive, and I get £50 for sending my pupils to buy a skoda ;)

But the 'Skoda Approved Extended Warranty and Assistance' has them in 'Exclusions'.  

Not that easy to spot in the Policy.

it is

'Page 6, no 19, 'Warranty Cancellation.'

" The Warranty will automatically be cancelled without compensation in any of the following circumstances.

a) if the vehicle is used as a Taxi, Mini Cab, or Driving School."

Quite possibly the 'Extended Warranty' bought with a New Vehicle is very different.

george

I think so.......(well it must be, as ALL my driving school cars have had warrent work done on them!)  but its worth knowing about the extended warrenty, I nearly bought one for my old vRS! when this one is 3 years old, I will probably go for  a non skoda warrenty.....

Edited by sharkrider

That is what you need to find out, 

Yes for a Private Passenger car, within whatever mileage limits,

maybe no for a Taxi or Mini cab. Business/Commercial use.

Buy a good one, keep to the servicing and you might have no bother.

??What kind of Taxi-ing are you looking at doing, Town/City Centre short drives long waiting/stops

Or Airport Transportation type and longer faster runs?

what Rules and Regulations in your area are there, like no Privacy Glass or the Likes?

What are the Test Rules on Vehicles, are they every 6 months?

george

Hang on guys. I've just thought of something. If something happened to your dsg gearbox. Wouldn't your insurance cover it?

Hi! Well, don't know about the UK but here in Sweden any normal insurance cover the entire drive train for cars used for personal use for costs above £200-500 depending on the insurance company policy. I am covered for 8 years or 100.000 km's whichever comes first so I sleep well at night. Taxi drivers who lease their new(!) cars are covered for 3 years or 360.000 km's whichever they reach first ... but everyone outside an insurance police or any other warranty is left in the cold from what I've heard.

Now, time for bed ... :yawn: ... Have a good night, all of you!

Your breakdown cover? Well yes, it'll cover you to get the car recovered back to your home or garage like any other car but it wouldnt cover your DSG gearbox the same as it wouldnt cover my manual gearbox. 

Hi, I am not sure to whom you wrote this but I am covered for the repair costs as well so the total cost for recovery, rental car or other transportation to get back home and the repair itself is actually covered ... and should not exceed £200-500 per breakdown. As I said, I sleep well at night ... even though I obviously hope it will never happen.

Have a nice Sunday evening!

Hi, I am not sure to whom you wrote this but I am covered for the repair costs as well so the total cost for recovery, rental car or other transportation to get back home and the repair itself is actually covered ... and should not exceed £200-500 per breakdown. As I said, I sleep well at night ... even though I obviously hope it will never happen.

Have a nice Sunday evening!

It was just a general comment/question. :)

So if you woke up one morning and your dsg had an issue your breakdown would cover it? They are expensive to fix/ replace is what I thought?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It was just a general comment/question. :)

So if you woke up one morning and your dsg had an issue your breakdown would cover it? They are expensive to fix/ replace is what I thought?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yes, they are very expensive to fix but so far the our insurance companies have accepted the claims as long as you have done the services in time and that the problem isn't covered by the manufacturer warranty ... and I have not participated in any racing events and such things ...

Over the insurance period some owners claim that they have had repairs for over £20.000 ... while many have driven their DSG equipped cars with no issues at all ... but without the drive train insurance I would have been a bit more reluctant to chose a DSG ...

Have a nice one ...

Edited by AndersNordh

I think there is a confusion going on between UK 'Insurance of vehicles, to be on the Public Highway, Fully Comprehensive, Third Party Fire & Theft or just Third Party to provide enough cover to be on the road.

Also Business/Commercial Insurance Cover, the type of cover  Taxi will require,

then there is Group Insurance which lots of places will have, Hire Cars, Courtesy cars etc..

Then a 'Warranty' on a Vehicle,

Original Manufacturers, Dealership Warranty, any kind of Warranty that may be available, for what ever period of time or mileage.

a type of Insurance cover on a vehicles mechanical well being,

provided and Underwritten by someone.

Terms and Conditions will apply.

'Breakdown cover, maybe with Assistance has its purpose, but the major repair of a vehicle will only be 

if that is something you actually buy, like with a Warranty, or along with a Warranty Provided like with a Manufacturers Warranty.

george

• Like 1

I think there is a confusion going on between UK 'Insurance of vehicles, to be on the Public Highway, Fully Comprehensive, Third Party Fire & Theft or just Third Party to provide enough cover to be on the road.

Also Business/Commercial Insurance Cover, the type of cover  Taxi will require,

then there is Group Insurance which lots of places will have, Hire Cars, Courtesy cars etc..

Then a 'Warranty' on a Vehicle,

Original Manufacturers, Dealership Warranty, any kind of Warranty that may be available, for what ever period of time or mileage.

a type of Insurance cover on a vehicles mechanical well being,

provided and Underwritten by someone.

Terms and Conditions will apply.

'Breakdown cover, maybe with Assistance has its purpose, but the major repair of a vehicle will only be 

if that is something you actually buy, like with a Warranty, or along with a Warranty Provided like with a Manufacturers Warranty.

george

Hi George, guess that you are right about the ongoing confusion ... :blush:

In Sweden it looks a bit different.

We have three insurance types we call Traffic insurance, Half insurance and Full insurance and a very generic description might look like ....

Traffic insurance - Mandatory to use your vehicle on publig roads and cover all damages done to everyone else except your own vehicle.

Half insurance - Traffic plus cover damage to your own car in case of glass damage, fire, theft of vehicle or from vehicle, vehicle recovery to garage and legal costs. It is here you also find the drive train insurance for cars up to 8 years of age or driven maximum 100.000 km's (different insurance companies might have different no of years or distances).

Full insurance - Traffic+Half insurance plus it covers damage to the own vehicle independant of whos fault it is, vandalism and other damage caused by external events not covered by other insurances.

Depending on which insurance company you use different addons with different names might be available ... like I have better rights when it comes to claiming a rental car in case of damage or problems with my car.

Now, the manufacturers warranty lasts for 2 years from the car was first registered and should really cover everything that breaks in the new car. This warranty follows the vehicle even if it's traded before the 2 years come to an end. When buying a new car there is also issued kind of a warranty that follows the car for 3 years which cover damage to your own vehicle just like the Full insurance part described above. That means for the first 3 years of the vehicle life you don't buy more than the Half insurance policy ...

Hope this crash course in Swedish insuranse policies cleared some of the confusion.

Have a good day!