Buying a used Skoda with DSG gearbox for taxi purposes..

jman786

Insurance here in the UK works different...but I was thinking of more along the lines of when you buy insurance for your stereo or your phone. If it breaks down the insurance company will try and fix it and if not replace it.

I understand how extended warranties work...but what would cover it once its out of the extended warranty period?

... probably nothing more than the money in my pocket ... :whew: ... paying for a new one. That is one of the reasons for the ongoing DSG to be or not to be debate we have here when several media people see used 8-10 year old Volkswagen Group DSG equipped cars being worth nothing on the used car market since any DSG related problem would cost more than the car is worth to get fixed. When the warraties are no longer there and the insurance policies are long gone that might be the fact ... and still I bought one, hoping for the best since I really do like it! :rofl:

• Like 1

The gearboxes are fine, use in D or use manually if you want.

I assume you will be looking at the Service REcord and how the DSG has been Serviced.

Not going to cause you a problem hopefully if you buy a good one, and no more chance of a bad one than you have buying a Manual car.

Do you know a Mechanic or someone you can trust that can help you in looking for a vehicle?

Why not go try some cars and look see what suits you.

What car are you after, or thinking on, age, model, price range?

What mileage do you expect to do each week?

george

The gearboxes are fine, use in D or use manually if you want.

Not going to cause you a problem if you buy a good one, and no more chance of a bad one than you have buying a Manual car.

Do you know a Mechanic or someone you can trust that can help you in looking for a vehicle?

Why not go try some cars and look see what suits you.

What car are you after, or thinking on, age, model, price ?

george

Im looking for one that is probably 2-4 years old, Octavia, price ..well cheap obviously!! :)

i dont know any mechanics but If im going to be driving a taxi id better make friends fast...

• Like 1

Is there such a thing as a Skoda automatic but no DSG? 

On the Mk2, only the 1.6 and 2.0 FSI petrols had the option for a standard auto. The Diesels all have DSG......unless you get a Mk1, where conventional autos were used on the diesels. 

Edited by booke23

You can buy a car with DSG it is an Auto nothing to set, and just select. D, R or P if you want.

Some cars with a DSG might have no Paddles

You can move the Gear stick and change gear manually to do manual shifts if you want, 

Have you not  tried one yet to see if it is to your liking.

Have you driven any Automatics?

Great Gearboxes, good cars,  maybe buying the Cheapest is not the best thing for a Taxi, but everything in life has risks.

If you are buying a 'Skoda Extended Warranty' it excludes Mini Cabs and Taxis.

For a Private user the One Year Warranty with a 'Skoda Approved Used Car' or a 1 or 2 Year Extended Warranty is quite good value IMO

You will need to find a Warranty from someone else maybe to cover you for using as a Taxi.

Do Skoda UK offer a 7 year Warranty on new or used cars?

george