Oil consumption test cost!

Hello,

So my Fabia VRS was using way to much oil (2 litres in 600 miles!) 

So I took it to the Skoda dealership who said they would run the oil consumption test on it.

After the test was completed they failed to ring me with the results and I eventually rang them asking them how it went. They said that it had passed as it was only using 0.373 litres of oil every 620 miles (it needs to use 0.5 litres of oil every 620 miles for it to fail).

So that's all well and good (even though it still sounds high) but now they want £140 from me to cover the costs of the oil consumption tests (which apparently because it passed it isn't covered under warranty)!!

Does this sound right? Or are they fobbing me off big time? 

Rant over :)

Thanks

Best look at the Oil use thread and 2 figures from Oil Consumption tests.

Funnily Skoda Dealers seem to be coming up with results that are just under for 621 miles worth of oil used,

ie Under 0.5 litres..

0.5 litres per 1000km (621 miles) is figure appearing in Owners Manuals for all Engines from 3 cylinder, diesels and 4 cylinder Diesel & Petrol.

It is a ridiculous figure if they think it would stand up in any UK Court if a Civill Case was raised,

as acceptable with Owners possible requiring to buy £100 or more of oil per year and others needing none.

Not any unusual use of the vehicle other than a private passenger car.

They know some of their manufactured engines are gubbed and have sub standard parts..

The thread will show you where i think they are getting the weight of 3.6 litres of oil at the start of the test wrong.

If you know how mich oil you use in 1200 miles and thats more than 1 litre then challenge them on their testing.

Ask them the weight of 3.6 litres of oil.

Look at the Report and the invoice.

Page 26, post #758 & #780 Oil tests,  both owners told not using enough.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/252759-fabia-vrs-oil-fix

george

• Like 1

I am quite often blaming people for not reading the "small letters" when purchasing things, services etc. but owning a relatively new car which is prone to oil using, worrying about it and wanting to discover whether it's actually doing it or not and having to pay for it is by all means ridiculous. Especially when the results are only 20-25% away from the limits. If one thing, Skoda should be encouraging people that think they have a problem to run those tests and not scare them off by threatening to deny the test costs in case the tests don't fail... How would they like having to pay for complete engine rebuilds/replacements? Thumbs down for after-sales support and brand loyalty in my eyes.

• Like 3

When I asked a consumption test to the local dealer in Turkey, they told me that theu will drive the car about 300 km's.. They did not ask any money for the test... only cost to me is the fuel..:)

I realy do not understand why they ask any money to prove if there is a problem or not.. nonsense to me...

ServicePASAOGLU

FREE!  I did not pay for any oil consumption test and when asked I refused to pay, no argument at all.

I explained that the issue was with a car still under warranty and if the oil consumption test showed there is no issue I would pay but in the interim SUK should pay and they did for three tests in total, I also asked them to refill the petrol used by them on the road tests too, which they did.

• Like 1

They are charging now were they say the test is showing that the oil usage is below 0.5 litres for 621.

By doing a short test, weighing oil and multiplying the oil use and the miles covered.

Well if you measurement is not accurate, then multiplying just compounds the error.

The degree of accuracy is just not there.

This running the car for 300 km to get the oil used is a total nonsense.

If, like in the example of the car that failed a test,

they do not even have the Correct Weight for oil at the start of a test.

Fail, Fail then multply, and the car is a Pass, Please pay us because we can not organise a pith up in a brewery.

george

Thanks for all the replies :) I'll ask them for a more detailed report when they ring me back to ask for their money... They didn't drive the car themselves they just asked me to drive it at least 300 miles, I just so happened to be driving from Southampton to Wales that weekend. Would it make a difference on the oil consumption based on the type of driving as it was all motorway (A very steady 70 mph the whole way as mother was in the car...) I gave it back to them as soon as I got back so the car didn't gave a chance to do any normal town driving. I'll be putting my dissapointed voice on next time I speak to them.

Thanks

Their Official Test is now the 300 km (186.5 miles)

So did they, fit a 'new oil a filter',

run the engine, Drain and weigh,

put the oil back in,

have you drive it for the distance you did, then removed the oil and weigh it?

How much are they asking for doing the Test, £140, ?  which is more than a Minor Service Oil Change @ £129

george

Binzies Invoice.

George, the oil is dropped and filter removed. NEW oil and filter is then used, 300km is driven and the oil is again dropped and weighed, filter is also removed again. The engine is then topped up with more oil and a new filter.

I stood and watched the last time I had mine done, then drove 300km and back to the dealer that afternoon to have my last check done.

I know how it should be done and the weight of oil.

And it as you say it should be done.

Extrapolating & Multiplication to get 300 km to equate to covering 1000 km. requires accuracy.

Starting with correct weighing is crucial if they is to be any accuracy.

Binzies Invoice shows a Garage not knowing the weight of 1 litre of oil or 3.6 litres,

Engine Oil is not 1000 grams per litre.

Skoda used to give the weight as 856 grams @ 15*oC for a litre, 

for doing the Longer Dynamic Test, of New OIl & Filter, Up to Temp,

Dropped, Refitted, Dynamic Test Done, Running to Temp, Dropping and weighing.

I know how it should be done and the weight of oil.

And it as you say it should be done.

Extrapolating & Multiplication to get 300 km to equate to covering 1000 km. requires accuracy.

Starting with correct weighing is crucial if they is to be any accuracy.

Binzies Invoice shows a Garage not knowing the weight of 1 litre of oil or 3.6 litres, Engine Oil is not 1000 grams per litre.

It was a long day today but they appear to think that oil is denser than water using the numbers in that picture.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Page 26 of the long Oil use Thread & that Members Oil Test has been done with the Correct Quantity/Weight of oil.

They show 3100 grams in the container and it looks like 3028 grams as the oil weight at the start of the test.

If 1 litre of oil @ 15*oC weighs 856 grams, then 3.6 Litres should weigh less than 3100 grams. (3081.6 grams)

The Invoice & report on Binzies car is just tripe.

IF YOU HAVE A BOTTLE OF 5W/30 or 5W/40 FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL UNOPENED

MAYBE WEIGH IT,  Will weigh about 960 grams still in the Bottle. (2.12 lb),

So not 1000 grams still in a Bottle

If you wonder what it weighs at 88*oC then put it the oil in a pan and heat it up and use a toffee thermostat to get the temp correct.

george

Email to Skoda UK with your detailed plight and Dealership details . This starts off your Vehicle history claim , also you will get an e-mailed reply with on going dialogue documented.

I got two tests done for free, also cost of oil refunded.

Keep invoices for purchased of oil and then starts to create a history off miles / amount of replenishment/ dated.

Continue too badger your dealer and tell them you have contacted Skoda UK. (Quote ref No.)

Oh! I also got a 12 months extension on the warranty.

The issue with the dealer, is that Skoda UK are reluctant to refund the dealer for the work carried out!

• Like 1

I was using a lot of oil approx 1 litre every 600 miles in my VRS, which was just on the limit.  I was just about to have the consumption test, but then realised that the car (recently bought, 3 yrs old 34k miles) had never had an air filter changed.  I bought a replacement and removed the old one - it was absolutely filthy and pure black.  It had oil inside it and all around the filter housing.  I cleaned it all up, fitted new filter and the engine runs so smooth now and more power and louder exhaust note.  Since then I have covered almost 2k miles and there is no apparent oil usage and the dipstick still shows the same level.

Spoke to a skoda tech who said that that could be the cause as it was sucking in oil through the manifold or something.

The air filter (along with the fuel filter) is apparently recommended every year, but not required in the service, so might be worth checking if you have all had a replacement each year.

The Spark Plugs are on the Service Schedule at 40,000 miles, if you think your Air Filter is bad, then maybe look at changing your spark plugs ,

if not already done.

By who or where is the Air Filter Recommended as changed every year?

Worth looking at every year possibly.

You can drive in a City, sit behind busses every day and have a filthy Air filter.

Which Fuel Filter is this on a Twincharger that should be changed every year?

george

Email to Skoda UK with your detailed plight and Dealership details . This starts off your Vehicle history claim , also you will get an e-mailed reply with on going dialogue documented.

I got two tests done for free, also cost of oil refunded.

Keep invoices for purchased of oil and then starts to create a history off miles / amount of replenishment/ dated.

Continue too badger your dealer and tell them you have contacted Skoda UK. (Quote ref No.)

Oh! I also got a 12 months extension on the warranty.

The issue with the dealer, is that Skoda UK are reluctant to refund the dealer for the work carried out!

Forgot too add that mine was border line level as well.

Skoda UK WERE NOT HAPPY WITH THE FIRST TEST UNDERTAKEN BY MY DEALER, THAT THEY REQUESTED A REPEAT.

Note! My car was full service history with Skoda dealership.

My dealer originally said on my 1st oil consumption test to run 180 mile and book car in, when I called to book it in they couldn't get me in for a week, so by the time they got it I had ran over 400 mile, since then each time I've done a oil consumption test they told me to run it between 400 and 500 miles so I think the dealers just make up the amount of miles you have to do for the test.

Sorry for maybe sounding like a total plank here, but how are these tests anywhere near accurate? Surely the amount of oil used in a specific number of miles is partially determined by how many miles you drive at a time (in the case where he was asked to do the driving part himself), because if you do it in short journeys then the oil will spend more time at colder temperatures and will act differently, also surely the type of driving would make a difference because if you're sat in traffic you're spending more time with the engine running and not going anywhere, therefore using oil and not racking up miles. And each testers driving style would surely have an impact too with some doing more revs in lower gears before changing up and some changing up earlier and keeping the revs low.

Sorry if I'm sounding like an idiot here but wouldn't these things have an impact?

• Like 1

Sparshatts at Botley, a bit out of my way but the nearest one to me. Traveling too and from to do the oil tests was really inconvenient especially as their open hours are the same as my work hours so I had to book time off work... I've never had any major problems with them but I wouldn't say I've had the best customer experience from them either. I had to 'remind'them that I had paid an extra £500 on the deposit and they still needed to take it off...