Craig's vrs (slow build) family car project

Craig85

I appreciate what your saying but I'm in the position where I had not really found a love for the car yet and its already kicking me when I can't afford it to. It's just making me feel like money could be better spent elsewhere.

May be proved wrong so will have to see. Just feels like its going to be one of the cars where I'm chasing the faults more than enjoying the drive and I'm properly fed up with that at present.

Before I bought it I was looking into a finance deal in a newer 62 plate car and the offer has just come up again and working things out I've already spent the equivalent of 2 years paying the finance off so its something I'm reconsidering.

Time will tell though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well a little update as the car is still technically off the road due to not having got the clutch yet I have now fitted a custom fabrication cai which was from my old mg. basically just undid it all and repositioned so the I had the piping to fit in the octy which went in reasonably well. Better fit than the Xmas present one which we have since had a full refund for. (Mrs exchanged the cai for a 67 Mustang track time at brands so I'm not complaining about that :D )

Unfortunately I've not been able to drive the car since fitting that though and haven't had pictures of this or my new dv that's been fitted.

I will once it's up and running get the pics and show the new additions.

I had a query on the dv though, I ran the car to check all was ok with no air leaks and once warm revved it a couple of times to check and to start with it gave an awesome chatter through the cai but after a few more mins of the engine running the chatter turned into the normal woosh?

Is there any reason for this or is there a way to get the chatter to be a permanent feature (if not a bad thing) as it sounded like the external wastegate chatter you get when fitting one?

It wasn't as extreme but sounded very tasty.

If I change the spring will it do it if I put a higher rated one in or is it just a whilst getting to temp thing.

If it was something wrong though what should I be looking at if it's not meant to make that noise at all?

Any suggestions or clarification appreciated :)

Well I did wonder about those comments but haven't had any of yet.

It was only a slight chatter but that went and I now just have the usual woosh through the cai that was there with the oe Bosch unit.

That's why was wondering what had happened as when it was first on and turned on it sounded fluttery and after a few mins the normal noise resumed.

If it's just the way the valve vents it back in will it actually cause turbo damage or is it bad full stop.

Also is there a reason why it did it?

Love that video Terkin :D

Here's a couple of the pics of the newer bits on the car although taken on phone and under light of fluorescent lamp so not great :(

image_zpscdd2a54a.jpg

image_zpsf1071ac4.jpg

image_zpsf42c8aea.jpg

Not much to get amazingly excited about at present but I guess it's something :)

• Like 1

CAI looks good Craig making some progress mate.

Thanks buddy, I just thought I'd make the most of my old kit I made up for the mg. Pipe works a bit bigger at 76mm internal but all went in ok but due to the clutch haven't as of yet taken it out for a blast.

Hopefully will sound tasty on there :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's gone. After everything that had gone on I have now sold the octy.

Shame to see it drive off down the road but I think the new owners got plans in store for it already.

Now to sell my other bits that I no longer need too lol.

Will stick around on here as still enjoy reading what you guys are going with yours :)

Well it's gone. After everything that had gone on I have now sold the octy.

Shame to see it drive off down the road but I think the new owners got plans in store for it already.

Now to sell my other bits that I no longer need too lol.

Will stick around on here as still enjoy reading what you guys are going with yours :)

Gutted mate but onwards and upwards eh. What you thinking if next.

Gutted mate but onwards and upwards eh. What you thinking if next.

Don't know for sure in all honesty although I have taken a refreshed fancy in a Zafira Gsi as I've always wanted one since I drove one 7 years ago.

Whatever I get it needs to be turbo'd again as enjoyed boosting too much to go back to n/a.

Haven't got a 100% definite thought yet though.

In all honesty I am a bit gutted and since I've got £500 odd worth of performance bits I'm the garage for the octy it's a bit of a ball ache.

Looked nice as was driving off down the road as never really got to see it driving along since I bought it :(