VW recall for 7 speed dsg vehicles

hamro

I understand VW are recalling 7 speed dsg vehicles for a gearbox oil change and wonder if this will be extended to Skoda and Seat cars? Mine has been OK for 25k, apart from being a pain to reverse up a steep hill and a slight vibration in 2nd.  Anyone experienced any problems?

This is from the Sunday Times:

Volkswagen is expected to recall tens of thousands of cars in Britain this week after discovering two separate faults that could leave vehicles without power or lights.

It is part of a global recall of more than 2.5m cars — one of the largest in the German company’s history. The majority of affected vehicles — about 1.7m — are thought to be in China; however, VW said about 60,000 cars were at risk in Britain.

All Tiguan off-roaders produced between 2008 and mid-2011 have a faulty fuse, which could trip, leading to partial loss of lighting. In addition, owners of about 30,000 UK-registered models fitted with VW’s seven-speed DSG gearbox are expected to be asked to return their cars to a dealer so that the gearbox oil can be changed. Models affected include the Golf, Polo, Passat and Scirocco. The fault can result in a sudden loss of drive.

VW UK said it was meeting Vosa, the body responsible for issuing recalls in this country, tomorrow. In the meantime, owners worried about the problems can either visit their dealer or call VW on 0800 083 3914.

This is from the Sunday Times:

... models fitted with VW’s seven-speed DSG gearbox are expected to be asked to return their cars to a dealer so that the gearbox oil can be changed. Models affected include the Golf, Polo, Passat and Scirocco. The fault can result in a sudden loss of drive...

That does sound like a BS line to me. The cause of the recall in Australia of the 7 speed DSG cars was a fault in the mechatronic unit that blew a fuse causing the clutch packs to disengage. The result being an instantaneous loss of drive. Also the clutch packs are being replaced under a separate recall. Never heard of an oil problem causing a manual gearbox (which is what a DSG is) to lose drive. 

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1049026

And Hamro....that vibration in 2nd gear is your clutch packs building up with hard lumps of friction material dust. Apparently VW have changed the design somewhat in the second round of recalls so that this hopefully won't be a future problem.

Edited by myaussieskoda

That does sound like a BS line to me. The cause of the recall in Australia of the 7 speed DSG cars was a fault in the mechatronic unit that blew a fuse causing the clutch packs to disengage. The result being an instantaneous loss of drive. Also the clutch packs are being replaced under a separate recall. Never heard of an oil problem causing a manual gearbox (which is what a DSG is) to lose drive.

Hi!

The explanation I read was that the synthetic oil with its specific combination of additives, when getting quite warm and in combination with being exposed to high humidity, became more feasible to pass on electrical charges in the similar way water does. This would in turn shorten some of the Mechatronic elektro-mechanical valves and that it could cause the problem with the disengaging/slipping clutch. Maybe that caused the blown fuse you are talking about regarding the Australian issues? What I don't know or understand is if the valve leads are actually openly exposed to the oil within the gearbox which seem to be the case if this explanation should be valid.

Well, will follow this recall with interest ...

Have a nice day!

Hi!

The explanation I read was that the synthetic oil with its specific combination of additives, when getting quite warm and in combination with being exposed to high humidity, became more feasible to pass on electrical charges in the similar way water does. This would in turn shorten some of the Mechatronic elektro-mechanical valves and that it could cause the problem with the disengaging/slipping clutch. Maybe that caused the blown fuse you are talking about regarding the Australian issues? What I don't know or understand is if the valve leads are actually openly exposed to the oil within the gearbox which seem to be the case if this explanation should be valid.

Well, will follow this recall with interest ...

Have a nice day!

The result being an instantaneous loss of drive. Also the clutch packs are being replaced under a separate recall. Never heard of an oil problem causing a manual gearbox (which is what a DSG is) to lose drive. 

Don't forget an DSG-7 has two separate oil circuits! 

- One is the same as in any manual gearbox and is used to lubricate the gears.

- The other one is inside the mechatronic, and is used for operating the clutch and changing gears.

I would also like to know from which one of these two the oil is changed.

- The other one is inside the mechatronic, and is used for operating the clutch and changing gears.

I would also like to know from which one of these two the oil is changed.

Hi andrehj & AndersNordh,

Yes, I missed that part about the oil in the mechatronic.

So now we have more questions;

If the oil is a problem, is it different in the mechatronic to the gear cluster? One would think not, when you consider how a standard auto gearbox control valve assembly operates in a common sump of oil.

The Aussie recalls were for models built between specific months/years across a number of VAG vehicles. My vehicle was built just one month outside the recall window. Did they change the oil spec part way through my production run? ...if the oil is truly the cause.

If they just change the oil without removing the mechatronic unit for inspection how can the customer be sure that the mechatronic is not already "damaged" by the other oil?

The VAG group and most auto manufacturers are usually vague about the real causes behind a recall or "customer satifaction notice" or whatever they like to call it.

Hopefully some other members or guests can enlighten us further.

Hi, could it be possible that they use the same oil reservoir or do we know for sure that the two circuits use different type of oil? I have never seen any spec's on the oil somewhere ... since the gearbox is somewhere said to be sealed for life ...

Have a good one ...

Hi, could it be possible that they use the same oil reservoir or do we know for sure that the two circuits use different type of oil?

I will answer this myself, it is two different types of oil in the two circuits. Just waiting for confirmation that the oil they will replace is the one in the Mechatronic.

Have a nice afternoon!

Hi, could it be possible that they use the same oil reservoir or do we know for sure that the two circuits use different type of oil? I have never seen any spec's on the oil somewhere ... since the gearbox is somewhere said to be sealed for life ...

Actually, after writing this I had the same thought. There might just be only one pressurized circuit (the mechatronic has its own oil pump), which simply taps oil from the large reservoir in the gear box.

But I think that this is not very plausible, since metal filings from gear wear will most likely damage the precious components in the mechatronic.

Well, now we know that the use one for lubricating the gears and one for the hydraulic system within the Mechatronic ...

... and admin has asked us to move this discussion to the General Car Chat instead.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/295041-vw-17-million-recall-7-speed-dsg/