DIY toe angle adjustment

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised no one has mentioned Gunson Trackrite. It's a handy little tool, costing less than £50 and it's even easier to use than string. Basically, you put a movable plate in front of one of the front wheels, drive (or push the car) over it and read the gauge. It has the advantage of compensating for wheel run out and minor play in steering joints, as you are measuring the tracking as the car moves forward, therefore giving a true reflection of what is happening as you drive along on the road. I have just found one on ebay:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Steering-Alignment-Tracking-Gauge-Tool-DRIVE-ON-/180708096231?pt=UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item2a130ab8e7

The disadvantage is that it is more expensive than both string and tyre centre charges, but if you do a fair bit of car work it's very handy. Many thanks to Steves Truck and James I for the string info. I had never thought of that and it's an excellent method.

I was expecting a comment on Trackrite since it's local. I would put it first on my Santa wish list together with a ColorTune. But I wonder... can anyone show us how it's made inside, disassembled?

On StevesTruck's string-to-a-fence method I have serious doubts unless you need to have zero toe in relation to a fence, not to the road.

Another interesting tool below.

Edited by adurer

I see 2 different situations:

• the steering system has never been tampered, meaning steering wheel has never been took out and relocated, the front wheels suffered only the typical potholes 'treatment', no major repairs on front axle.

this is the most often encountered situation and YouTube DIY videos treat this case exclusively. in this case I think it is enough to center, level and block the steering wheel and then use 1 or 2 measuring tapes to get A=B.

• the steering system and/or suspension has been tampered and/or suffered major repairs

in this case, when all was messed up, I thinl we have to use adurer's more elaborate but geometrically accurate method.

Edited by dohnjoe

My bit of string is provably accurate to under 0.5 degrees. 

I know this because I tracked my old Scirocco up with a bit of string and did the camber with a sprit level, then took it for a free check to see how  good I was.  :rofl:

• Like 1

How do you do the camber with a spirit level? Measure against the rim, not the tyre to avoid error from the lower wall bulging more? Do you set the level vertical and use the difference between the distance to top and bottom of the rim and the level to then calculate the camber angle?

The felicia does have a crazy negative camber all on its own when they are lowered, the front wheels start to lean in at the top the lower it goes and it leads to super accelerated tyre wear on the inner edges. It's great for cornering ability but makes it a devil to keep in a straight line.

How do you do the camber with a spirit level? Measure against the rim, not the tyre to avoid error from the lower wall bulging more? Do you set the level vertical and use the difference between the distance to top and bottom of the rim and the level to then calculate the camber angle?

It was on steels, so I just put the level across the face of the wheel. 

• 2 weeks later...

On the right hand drive Felicia's the steering column has a centre mark so you can align the steering wheel with the column so there's no messing about with moving the steering wheel..

I have found a photo from a LH Felicia possibly showing what you mentioned earlier. Please have a close look. Is your car having a 2-spoke steering wheel too?

751261603.jpg

• 4 months later...