Skoda Columbus Navigation update

Skoda have updated the maps etc. October 2013. Downloaded each of 17 parts separately with a view to transferring to SD card. All files are Zipped. Unzipped item 1 ok. Subsequent unzipping attempts failed!

Window states files are "archived". Not much help after downloading 17GB of data. Any ideas how to proceed successfully. I have used Skoda preferred 7Zip program.

It is necessary to update because on two occassions system got lost in France. Off Road message when driving motorway and in large city.

I assume you got the maps from the Skoda site? The maps on there are for the new Columbus not the older one. Is your car the new shape or has the new style Columbus like the one in pics on site? Older Columbus like I have you cannot update via SD, the maps would not be 17gb etc. 

Old one

20120322_164623.jpg

new one

maps-updating-02_201311162013.jpg

Thanks for your input. Helpful. My Superb K&L 4X4 was registered 14 Jan 13 and is an 8,000 miler ex Skoda Management car. My Columbus looks identical to the new one shown. Update maps downloaded from the Skoda web site and followed their advice! However the screen detail did not match that shown in the step-by-step instruction sheet. Also I have been unable to identify the map set detail, via the screen, as shown on said sheet. Contact with the supplying dealer was similarly unproductive via telephone instruction. Asked to take car to them to check if update is relevant. I noted that the original Map disc was not included with the car!

Skoda Customer Service of little help in offering solution to "Off Road" messages. However, I was quite critical of the nav. system in regard to the slowness of touch screen response and non intuitive method to go outside prescribed routes. Never sorted that out. Just stopped every 200 miles and reset the system to travel cross country in Germany. A pain in the posterior. This may have coloured their approach to my problem. I suspect the problem is beyond their remit.

My portable Becker Nav System leaves the Columbus for dead in ease of use and speed of reaction. Source of maps the same though. A great disappointment to me because I holiday often in Europe and prefer to avoid traffic jams by avoiding motorways. The Columbus handbook by the way is a monster, written I imagine by a knowing Geek rather than a non tech. human. Print size no good for aging eyes. Shame really. It spoils an otherwise brilliant car. This is the third Skoda so am quite upset. Next time I will go outside VG Group products after years of loyalty to VG Group brands. Sorry about the essay but indicates my frustration.

Edited by Strasbourg

• 2 weeks later...

Skoda have updated the maps etc. October 2013. Downloaded each of 17 parts separately with a view to transferring to SD card. All files are Zipped. Unzipped item 1 ok. Subsequent unzipping attempts failed!

Window states files are "archived". Not much help after downloading 17GB of data. Any ideas how to proceed successfully. I have used Skoda preferred 7Zip program.

It is necessary to update because on two occassions system got lost in France. Off Road message when driving motorway and in large city.

Try downloading the whole thing as a single file, the download site is a lot quicker.

You also don't need to use an SD card to update the columbus, you can use a USB Drive or disk, which is a lot less hassle than an SD card

There is now a november version of the maps

My Columbus looks identical to the new one shown.

Sorry, but it can't possibly!! :)

I think it also needs to be pointed out that the new Columbus is ONLY fitted to the MkIII Octavia, as, at present, it is the only vehicle in Skoda's range to be built on the MQB platform.

There are various fancy new electronics which accompany the MQB platform, and this includes the new Columbus and other stereo systems which you'll see in the new Octavia and on its cousin the latest Golf.

Like the Passat, the Superb is not on the MQB platform, and so gets the previous Columbus.

The current Superb has been out since 2008, and it's only just had a mid-life facelift, because it's a model at a different phase in its product lifecycle, so is likely to remain in production in its current guise for a few years yet.

Edited by Willum
  • Like 1