Water in driver's footwell - Superb I

Hi all,

I got some good advice on my pollen filter housing on here but I now seem to have another problem!

When I got in my car tonight after work I noticed a little puddle under the gas pedal. It had been parked nose down to the right a little.

I've not had any clues recently, like a smell or misty windows, so I'm hoping it not a massive problem. I took the carpet up a little and there is water in the footwell.

I have noticed a little more wind noise when driving recently - like you've got the window slightly open. I thought it might be the seal around the frame that I compress every time I get out of the car in garage. Or maybe the top front of the rear door. But the rear footwell seems ok - although I struggled to get my hand under the carpet in the dark tonight!

But after reading up on this it seems it could be a leak inside the door working its way out onto the plastic trim and into the foot well.

Could I pour water on an opened door to check this?

I'm concerned that now it is damp I'll struggle to notice it getting wet - and struggle to dry it out in winter!

Regards,

James

To check the door  you want to saturate the door>window seal near the mirror / door handle with water for a good while.  The only place you should see water come out on the "inside" of the door is the holes in the door metal skin at the bottom (which end up on the outside of the door seal when shut).  If you get any drips from between the trim panel and the door you have a leak probably in the foam.  I had this it looks like from a door lock repair.

There are a few other sources on driver side:

ECU box seal (on the opposite side to the pollen filter under the hood)

Bonnet release cable grommet (just next to ECU box)

Sunroof drains (test these by opening the sunroof and door, pouring water carefully into the drain at the top of the roof and seeing it fall out the drain spout in the door hinge area)

Also, did you have your bungs out under the brake servo and battery?  If that is flooded i'm sure there are many other ways for water in even if the pollen filter has been done. 

Hi,

Thanks for the reply I'll certainly check those places. I did see your reply to another post on leaks where you describe your fault and how to explore under the inside trim panel.

I think the chamber is good as I've checked the draining before and kept an eye on it - and there was no build up inside today - and boy did it rain.

Now you mention it I've heard talk of the bonnet release grommet.

I don't have a sunroof so I can rule that one out!

I think its the door seals - looks like I'll have to do some tests at the weekend. Its a pain this time of year as I can't do anything in my garage as there is not enough room.

I've been thinking tonight and the puddle was worse than what was underneath the carpet - which suggests something bad happened recently rather than a steady leak - but looks like a bit of investigating is in order.

Cheers,

James

Hi all,

Had a good look yesterday and the doors and the frame seem to seal ok. Investigating further the carpet was not really wet under the doors and it seemed the water was coming in from the front as the carpet was the wettest around the pedals and the heel protector. When I checked the problematic battery chamber I found it was not draining properly so I suspect it filled in the bad weather on Wednesday and it leaked in from there. I keep checking it but not every day and there are a lot of leaves around at the moment.

Its also a little damp on the passenger side but that might be the remnants of the damp I found before. Because I had problems with removing the window guard I got the dealer to reseal the pollen filter housing. I need to dry this thoroughly this weekend and keep an eye on the quality of their work.

I visited the dealer as I was worried about disconnecting the battery - and they were very good with showing me what to move and what to look out for a reset after re-connecting the battery. The guy who sealed it talked to me and assured me he used the bathroom like 'seal on a roll'.

So its a dry up and observe week for me - but its stopped raining now! I'm the only one in the country looking for it to rain! I might wash the car next weekend if we have a good week!

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

James

I have a had similar problem . After rain sometimes i can feel water dripping onto my foot .I don't wear socks only sandals for a medical condition.

There is usually a blockage of dirt in the corner,next to the ecu box  in the corner between the ecu/wing /screen  , you 'll see water there. I get a long cable tie and poke it under the ecu

until the water runs away then pour some more water there to ensure it's clear

Hi flabio,

I've tested and there was dirt around that channel you mention - everywhere else is very clean so I think water was been pooling there. I've cleaned it and pushed a pipe cleaner through but a cable tie is a good idea too. I'm also not going to park with that point lowest (nose down to the right).

Trouble is it got quite wet and I'm struggling to dry it - I think I need a dehumidifier. Its amazing how the top feels ok when the underlay is moist. I wonder how many people are driving around a superb without knowing they have water under their feet!

It has not rained for a week so I checked again tonight and was paniced to find the metal floor wet. But I think it is water still in the underlay condensating on the cold floor from the warm carpet (I have the heater blowing down). I'm going to keep a close eye on it for now.

It looks really clean and tidy around the wiring and I'm hoping this hasn't been happening too long - but I can't really tell.

I'm tempted to take it in to the dealer to get it dried and looked over - I've got to admit they've been very good so far in helping me suss out how to check and remove stuff on the interior/exterior.

Regards,

James

If you have wet carpet syndrome (and you have cured why it is getting wet) especially in the back, rotate the floor heating nozzle so that it no longer connected. Shove some plastic bottles between the carpet and the floor to lift the carpet so that:

a. it lets the air from the heater nozzel pipe circulate under the carpet.

b. it lets the liquid drip out of the carpet underlay (instead of sponging it up).

Take the rear drain plug out - the water needs to go somewhere (And then do not go through any floods).

You can do this under the seat too but a bit awkward for the front area if your driving the car.

Turn the heating to full when driving and the fan on full.

And it will take a long time to dry it this way.

AT SOME POINT PUT THE FLOOR PLUG BACK IN OR YOU'LL REGET IT.

Hi again,

As far as I can work out the wetness is confined to the front and entered from the front. Under the doors and front seats everything seems to be dry. It is difficult to get your hand underneath the carpet in the rear footwell though. I've had a dehumidifier running since Friday afternoon and it seems to be taking water out. There are no floods left its just getting the final moisture out of the under lay and preventing condensation as a result.

Once dry I can keep an eye out - I have a few hunches about the cause.

I need to wash it soon so if we have a dry week I'll wash the car next week carefully, and observe!

Cheers,

James