Top glove box rattle!

heners54

Hi all,

The top glove box on my car rattles over bumps, more so if it has stuff in it. I've tightened the two bolts inside to try and stop it but it appears that some of the noise was the lid itself rattling. Both the little rubber stoppers are present but I don't know if they deteriorate? If so would replacing them fix the issue?

Also I know the glove box on the facelift models has a magnetic set up that seems better, is this an easy/cheap retrofit?

Edited by heners54

• 2 weeks later...

How does lining it stop it rattling when empty like the op suggests. Mine rattles horribly and it's empty. I've put some felt strips on the mounting points behind it which hasn't cured it so not sure where exactly it's coming from, I'm guessing it's the hinges.

Guys,I had this on two of my Fabias. Many others have also experienced it and you may find the following will cure it. Of note is that the rattle can be present on both petrol and diesel cars. Often a bit louder on the diesel. The rattle seems to come from the top glovebox/airbag area at certain engine revs, mostly lower revs.

Firstly, if its the rattle that's present when the glovebox is either empty and/or full, it could well be caused by the air induction pipe at the front of the car. Surprising I know and it may sound unlikely. But that is what many of us have found.

The culprit is the air induction pipe where it joins the front bulkhead at the front of the car. The pipe (male end) fits into a female anchor fitting behind the front grille where it draws in air for the engine. Its not a tight fit on many cars and it resonates at certain revs and transfers the vibration and rattle to the interior of the car around the top dash glovebox/airbag area. The cure is to carefully use some duct tape on the male end of the pipe to make it a firmer fit in the female coupling. Unlikely as this all sounds it cures many so called glovebox rattles. I posted about this on here a long time ago with pics. I'll try and post a link later.