Full Size Spare VRS TDI - Size?

Bit of an odd one this :think:

My VRS TDI estate is a little over 2 years old.  I was checking the condition of my tires today as I was in the process of ordering a pair of fronts.

I checked the full size spare (I've had the car from new) and although I had Dunlops on mine originally they were replaced with Contis 225 40 R18 by Skoda  after I suffered from sawtoothing.

My 'full size' spare is a Conti 205 55 R16...is that right?  I thought that it would match the other four, not necessarily by brand but by size.

They never did a 'full size' spare on VRS. That is why if you take it out there should be a big yellow sticker on it saying max speed 50mph/80kph etc. That is the correct size for a spare in the VRS though. Also that is the recommended size for winter wheels on the car. It is narrower but with profile difference almost exactly the same height as the 18" on the car stock. Having a different profile/width tyre on the same axle when it is in use is why the speed restriction is in place. 

Not sure about the estate but I got another new Neptune when I got the car and a tyre and put it in, in place of the factory spare wheel kit. 

Neptune%2520Well%25202.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice

I ordered the 'full size' spare so naively thought it would be 'full size' as in the same size, although it would appear I have been luckier than some! 

The car stock comes with no spare, only one option exists which was for 'space saver' on VRS model. At least it is fairly substantial for a space saver so to speak, not a bicycle wheel job lol. If you didn't get to read through brochure and salesman has misled you, you could try complaining to them and might get something like a voucher against a service or accessories if it was mis-sold to you.  How much did you pay for 'full size' spare? An actual one would cost £300-£400 off Skoda with a tyre, then there is the tool kit on top. 

Click once to enlarge and point noted under the picture of the VRS. 

Octy%2520Spare%25202.png

Then page 20 as referred to

Octy%2520Spare%25204.png

Then for the key to symbols against the option

Octy%2520Spare%25204.png

• Like 1

I'll have a look on the invoice, thanks :thumbup:

It was around £200+VAT from Skoda when I got my car in 2011 then depending on brand/type of tyre would bring it north between 300-400. Tool kit 'was' around the £50 mark but I think a little lower now. Spare I also got from factory as it was cheaper to get the kit if got when ordering car than just tool kit on it's own after ironically lol. 

I bought my neptune on Briski new in the box from Skoda from someone who sold car before putting a tyre on it for a bit less, yet to be used! 

In car manufacturer speak "full size spare" seems to mean "not a space-saver".  Like many car purchasers, in the past I expected "full size spare" to mean same as the other 4 tyres on the car.  The last car I had with a spare exactly the same as the other four wheels was an Audi A4 1.8T Sport purchased in 2002 which had 5 identical alloys/tyres.  Since then I have always purchased a fifth alloy and tyre to replace the supplied spare (if there even is one).

My 56 plate vrs has a 16" steel with a bigger profike to give it the same diameter and rolling circumfrence as the 18s. Maybe you could find one of those?

That's what the OP has.