Winter tyre pressures

mfj197

Put the winter tyres on at the weekend.  The ride is certainly quieter on the 16" Continental TS850 tyres compared to the standard 18 inch summers.  I couldn't find any guidance on pressures for the winter tyres so inflated them to the standard pressure for 16 inch (which if I recall correctly is 2.5 bar front, 2.6 bar rear?).  I find it very strange that the higher profile tyres run at a higher pressure than the low profile 18 inch, and I've also found the ride on the motorway to be a little nervous - feels like it needs constant course corrections.  I expect that reducing the pressures will cure this, but I was interested to know what pressures people are running on their 16" winters?

Michael

p.s. Photo was taken before inflating tyres - they were fitted to the rims at 2.1 bar each.

20131122_142915.jpg

Yup, they're fitted the correct way round. Huskoda's advice makes sense, even if it is contrary to what I initially expected.  Flex in the sidewalls could be exactly what I'm feeling - the car seems to be cornering one way and then the other when at high speed.  Note this is ever so slight, but being used to the fairly rock-stable tracking of the car at speed I was a bit surprised.

I've been looking around elsewhere and some other VAG handbooks recommend increasing the tyre pressure by 0.2 bar when fitting winters.

Page 232 of the user manual has all the details relating to tyre pressures for winter tyres.

"Please remember that the tyres should be inflated to 20 kPa (0.2 bar) more than is the

case for summer tyres."

Hope that helps.

Anthony

That's great, thanks Anthony. My manual doesn't have that info (2013 pre-facelift) and I can't find it in either the pre- or post-facelift manuals online.  How old is yours, and in which country?

The info tallies with what I've found for other VAG cars though - I'll go ahead and up the pressures.

Michael

Handy to know as I will put the wheels and tyres from my Passat on the Superb.  They are 16" steelies and the Passat felt nervous and twitchy on them.  To be fair that was compared to lower profile Eagle F1s and the day after I put them on the temperature rose by about 13 degrees!

I will check the pressures once refitted.  Many thanks.

Page 232 of the user manual has all the details relating to tyre pressures for winter tyres. "Please remember that the tyres should be inflated to 20 kPa (0.2 bar) more than is the case for summer tyres." Hope that helps. Anthony

The manual is available from this site, in amongst the stickies on the superb menu. It tallies with the above info

I'm obviously missing something.  I downloaded the manuals from the link in the sticky, http://new.skoda-auto.com/en/mini-apps/owners-manuals/superb (incidentally the link doesn't work for me today).  From memory I downloaded the manuals for Jul-Dec 2012 and Jul-Dec 2013 production (pre- and post-facelift) and neither had the info on winter tyre pressures, and nor does my printed one - hence the thread.  Where are you guys finding this info?

That's great, thanks Anthony. My manual doesn't have that info (2013 pre-facelift) and I can't find it in either the pre- or post-facelift manuals online.  How old is yours, and in which country?

The info tallies with what I've found for other VAG cars though - I'll go ahead and up the pressures.

Michael

Mine is a 2011 Elegance in the UK. The manual I was referring to is the one I downloaded off here just prior to getting my car. I have it on my computer so I don't have to keep going to the car to get it every time I want to refer to it. It is the same one as the paper version I got with my car.

Cheers

Anthony