Amundsen+ WIFI hotspot activation.

Hi!

I am one of the proud Skoda Superb FL owners from Moscow, Russia. It's Combi version that is what you called here Estate. Car has been purchased couple weeks ago, so I am at the very beginning of "how this sucker really works" at the terms of experience I am somewhere behind the level1 but I had a great knowledge of 10 years of happy Skoda Octavia usage since 2003.

So I am wondering if there is a way to activate Wi-Fi hot spot in my car. My Superb has equipped with Amundsen+ Head Unit with Bluetooth and Voice Control System. My Apple I Phone 5 is connected via this system and works just great. But I have read somewhere here(maybe somewhere else)that there is an Premium option for hands free phone connection allows you to read messages at MaxiDot display or even share your ownWi-Fi hotspot within your vehicle.

I do have active data plan in my phone. I have tried several times to activate Premium feature but I do not even have a clue where to search for check box in order to activate it.

While I was using my I Phone at my previous Skoda Octavia car I used to connect it via Blue Ant Commute hands-free unit attached to car's sun visor. (http://www.myblueant.com/products/speakerphones/commute/)

This smart gadget gave me ability even to get "what is the weather like today"info using Siri. It had almost full control over my phone with voice commands.

Guys if there are any hints and tricks to activate hotspot feature in my car please feel free to share this information.

Here is some pics of my car:

http://www.drive2.ru/cars/skoda/superb_combi/superb_combi/angrybambr/journal/2403048/

P.S.

Yes, I know my English totally suck please forgive me that.

Edited by contractor

Your English is fine, no worries.

However.

If your BT module supports WLAN Wifi hotspot, you can have it...if you connect a phone using Premium mode (RSAP)

Unfortunately the iPhone doesn't support RSAP, so it won't use Premium mode but instead the handsfree mode. This does not allow the WLAN option to be active.

If you connect say a Samsung S3, you will get WLAN options in the maxidot to set it up, etc.

Sorry for the bad news ;)

Great looking car though, and in the best colour aswell!  :love:

May I ask you really stupid question? Is Samsung S3 the the only one cell phone wich can solve this issue? Would it be possible to activate Premium Mode with Nokia E52 smartphone?

Thank you for quickest reply I have ever seen. :-)

Not at all, lots of phones support RSAP.

Look here in Wiki for a list;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_Access_Profile#Mobilephones_with_SAP.2FrSAP_support

Note Apple;

Manufacturer Models based on Apple iOS

Apple Officially lack of support

Nokia E52 is listed as compatible.

Edited by Too Tall

Cool, I really appreciate what you have done. What kind of SIM card form factor Samsung S3 has? Is it nano? I mean can just swap SIM cards between them or should I have an adapter for this purpose?

An S3 is a Micro-sim. Only iPhone 5 and up use Nano.

If you still have the E52 with a simcard, I'd try connecting it to the car and see if something related to the WLAN appears in the settings.

An S3 is a Micro-sim. Only iPhone 5 and up use Nano.

If you still have the E52 with a simcard, I'd try connecting it to the car and see if something related to the WLAN appears in the settings.

Will try to check as soon as I get SIM card adapter for E52,( in couple days maybe) I do have alternative operator's SIM card but this one has no data plan. My brother, he lives in Canada and he owns Volvo XC 70, as far as I remember I have seen him reading text messages on dashboard display and he was using Samsung( not sure about model ).

Thanks for your help.

What BT module do you have now? (Check under passenger seat)

Here's the one I have;

http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/shop/bluetooth-kits-parts/oem-3c8035730d-wi-fi-bluetooth-controler/

1. Connect using any protocol; (RSAP or handsfree)

-You can make and recieve calls (obviously)

-A2DP BT streaming (connect the phone and in "media" you will now have SD, Aux, Hard Drive, and Blue Tooth. You can stream music from the phone to the unit with ID3 tag readings on the screen

-Voice Control

2. Connect a phone using RSAP (so not an Iphone :-) )  and you get everyting from (1) but also;

-It supports WLAN

-also support SMS reading and replying on the screen

Edited by Too Tall

What BT module do you have now? (Check under passenger seat)

Hi!

Well, I wonder if the Amundsen+ really have a separate unit? I am under the impression that my Amundsen+ has the Bluetooth built in to the head unit.

Just my 5 cents ...

Possible, however not all revisions of the Amundsen+ have the build-in BT. Easier to check if there's a big black box under the passenger seat and note the module number, then to ask for the Amundsen+ VCDS log :-)

Ok guys. I have found SIM card adapters.

Now, we have bad news and bad news. With wich one should I start first? Here comes details: After I have got SIM card installed into Nokia E52 I paired Bluetooth connectin between Skoda Superb BT and cell phone. I have got my cell phone visible for head unit phonebook was downloaded successfully. I was able to make calls and receive them as well. I tried to activate Premium mode but I could not even find where should I start my search. The only thing is bothering me that when I tried to launch Internet browser on my Nokia E52 smartphone system replyed with " not enough memory, try to free some space" crap.

Then I moved front passenger seat in order to take a look on Bluetooth module but I saw no evidence of this unit being at it's place under the seat. So my assume is that probably Bluetooth module is built in Amundsen+ Head Unit. Second thought that there is a slight chance that my car does not equipped with WIFi Hotspot feature.I will try to use Samsung S series phone in order to hook it up to car's Bluetooth system. And final thought I will try actually free some space so this peace of junk would be able to launch Internet browser.

Aha!

Any news is progress :-)

If the BT module in the Amundsen it is an RSAP capable unit, there should be an item somewhere in the Maxidot menu, under phone (after you pair) where you can switch between "handsfree" and "premium". Premium being RSAP.

Do you happen to have a VCDS/Vagcom log of your car, so we can see which BT module you have in the Amundsen+?

Hi again!

Can't recall any premium or handsfree choices in the Maxidot settings but according to the Amundsen+ manual there are two different choices of pairing where I thought the active connection was equal to rSAP and passive connection equaled handsfree. Any ideas or am I totally wrong? I could be ... :blush:

Have a nice day!

Amundsen+ is not a premium BT

for the wi-fi option use the 3C8 D box

Ok , I wanna get to the bottom of this. Do they sell this box separately and can hook it up myself? Is there are any sockets( at the Amundsen+ back panel )available for this upgrade. Main question is: I am going to install back view camera in my vehicle shortly( maybe at the end of Russian winter, so it might take next six months:-) would it be possible to plug in both devises?

Now my box search in progress........

And one more question even if I had an ability to connect my phone via Bluetooth with head unit and my cell phone was RSAP compatible device would it be possible to use hotspot feature and have use of Google Maps at the same time? If someone had an experience of above described situation please let me know. Thank You.

You might want to take a look at cars-equipment.com...it is where i got my BT module and my rear view camera (you can save on shipping)

BT; (3C8 035 730 D)

http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/shop/bluetooth-kits-parts/oem-vw-3c8035730d-wi-fi-bluetooth-2/

Rearview camera LOW (no moving lines);

http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/shop/rear-view-cameras/oem-1k8980551-original-vw-scirocco-rear/

Rearview camera HIGH (moving lines);

http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/shop/rear-view-cameras/oem-vw-tiguan-rear-view-hl/

BT install took about 10 minutes, including VCDS coding. Very easy

I installed the LOW camera. Took half a day to run the cable from behind the Columbus to the inside of the trunk lid. Cutting a hole next to the release button was the hardest. I don't think the handle-type camera's fit the superb II though, I'm not sure.

Can't help you with the Google Maps question as I haven't connected using RSAP myself yet :-)

BT install took about 10 minutes, including VCDS coding. Very easy

I installed the LOW camera. Took half a day to run the cable from behind the Columbus to the inside of the trunk lid. Cutting a hole next to the release button was the hardest. I don't think the handle-type camera's fit the superb II though, I'm not sure.

Can't help you with the Google Maps question as I haven't connected using RSAP myself yet :-)

How did you run camera cable from trunk to head unit? I mean, the best way is trough the roof but I have glass roof. Is there any way to make it?

From behind columbus, underneath steering wheel, to the fuse box. Down to the floor, tuck it underneath the black plastic trim. All the way to the back seat. Up the back seat (underneath the trim where the seatbelt sits), now you are where the luggage roller cover is. Back close to the rear side windows, now you are at the back pillar. Up the pillar, into the headlining. Then you pull the right cable guide to go into the trunk (this is the other side of the car, but the left cable guide is full). Remove the trunk inside cover, find a place to tape the excess cable. Done.

I didn't go into up into the roof, because I couldn't get the cable past the airbag that sits next to your head, above your seatbelt in the pillar. Down on the floor is much easier.

They appear on the maxidot AFTER you pair a phone in RSAP (premium) more. If you connect no phone or you use the handsfree mode, it will NOT show the WLAN settings.

Great, thanks... I'll get myself one of those :-)