Views on the Citigo ASG gearbox

veedub210

As a previous owner of a 2010 Octy vRS DSG.  We have ordered a Citigo Elegance ASG (expect delivery March 2014).

I don't expect the ASG gearbox to be as slick as the DSG but can't be any worse than our current 2004 Kia Picanto CVT Auto which is awful.

Just wanted people's view on it especially those who have owned one for a while, especially would like Ryn's views.

Missus will drive in normal auto mode and when I take it for a local spin would drive in tipto-manual mode.

One more question, when parking the car is it possible to have the car in 'gear' or will it stay in neutral? At least with a DSG you have Park option, but wanted to know when parked an if the handbrake was to fail what would happen?

Handbrake wouldn't fail - as much as on a normal manual anyway.  You have to be in "N" to start it anyway.

Comparing it to DSG is chalk and cheese - and you might be surprised at the apparent long time between gear changes (especially when slowing down for junctions).  For non-spirited driving, it seems fine.  If you want to pre-empt situations, then flick the lever - no need to move it left like a DSG gearlever (although you don't have paddles).  The actual gearchange time probably isn't much more than if you were actually changing gear in a manual - it just feels longer.  Being sequential though it can't (easily) miss gears (like 5th > 3rd or 4th < 2nd) - or not that I've noticed to date.

As you should be able to see from my signature - I have a Fabia vRS (DSG7) and wifey has an ASG Citigo.

From all the other posts on ASG (Do a search is best). I would strongly reccomend you try before you buy to avoid dissapointment?

• Like 3

Totally agree - some don't mind it (my wife included - I insisted she test drove it first); others really can't get on with it although in the <£10k City Car category you tend to get either an automated (robotised) manual or CVT.

Hello vdub210,

We own both a VW Passat TDI140 with 6 speed DSG and the Citigo 75 Elegance with ASG.

Because they are very different technology It is probably unfair to compare the ASG with the DSG except for driving control.

We have found the DSG to be excellent in every way especially gear choice and the quality of the seamless change. Having driven many automatics including VW Tiptronic my opinion is that the DSG is the best auto driven to date.

With the ASG we have reservations about several issues. The first is that the gearchange can be slow leading to hesitation when accelerating the second being slow to change down when for instance approaching a roundabout. Both of these can be overcome by taking time or using the sequential manual shift. Personally we would have preferred the manual but medical reasons made this a non-starter.

Initially we had a problem with the gearbox finding false neutral but this was resolved after a visit to the dealer. My understanding was that the problem was due to a servo sticking. There was also a problem with Hillstart but in all honesty this was probably due to driving style as the dealer could find no problem. After the DSG you just have to be a bit more patient but no more so than driving a manual.

Having now owned the Citigo for 12 months the reliability has been excellent and after the initial problems we have had no further issues with the ASG. 

I can only say that if I had the choice of a Citigo with ASG against any of the other city cars it would be the Citigo every time. Even with ASG it is an excellent fun car that puts a smile on your face every time you drive it. It reminds us of the fun motoring we had in many Austin/Morris Mini's including a Cooperised Minivan and a 998 Cooper.

Regards,

Mike.

Even with ASG it is an excellent fun car that puts a smile on your face every time you drive it. It reminds us of the fun motoring we had in many Austin/Morris Mini's including a Cooperised Minivan and a 998 Cooper.

Regards,

Mike.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/251135-interesting-comparison-facts-or-not/

• Like 1

Thx all. I now have a better idea of the ASG gearbox and special thanks to Mike (Ryn).

My Passat Alltrack DSG is the main car in the household and majority of the miles are done on this. So the Citigo will only be used for the school run and trips to the supermarket.

The missus took a demo Citigo ASG SE for a spin and she found it was miles better than her current Picanto Auto.

Originally we were looking at a Fabia 1.2 TSI DSG but with we decided to go for the Citigo Elegance ASG. Especially because of the £89/mth deal we got from Alex Lawrie, £9,925 on a 42mth 0% Solutions deal. :rofl:

• Like 1

In the Smart which has the same type of auto box,you put the lever in R when you park.This does the same job as P in a conventional auto. eg it will prevent the car from moving even if you release the handbrake.  I am sure it will be the same in the Citigo.

For me i do not care if the auto box is good or bad in any car.With todays crazy stop start traffic,there is no way i would have a manual car ever again.You do not drive today,you just do a series of short hops,with traffic lights,zebra crossings,idiots pulling out infront of you from side roads,and traffic jams.You would be up and down the box constantly in a manual,so no thanks.Its an auto for me every time.

we have a similar gearbox in our fiat ambulances, and when we first got them , everyone hated them, now they drive them in aouto and never think twice about it, they have just accepted how it works, I personally always drive those vehicals in "manual" and its no different to having a manual car, except no clutch ...