How to transport a bike?

HenrietteK

I'm going to go for Thule roof bars, total price approx £101.41 when the Citigo gets delivered. Vastly cheaper than those from Skoda. Already have the two cycle carrier attachments. Although slightly different from each other both are Suzuki branded and equally easy to use.

Got Thule bars for the Passat and the quality is second to none.

Essential for me as part drive/cycle 5 days a week :) Currently have a spare wheel bike rack hanging off the back of the Jimny.

Cheers

Edited by sleepers

I use a Thule bike carrier that fits onto a towbar (if fitted to your car). Light weight and easy to remove/fit. Can be purchased to suit a different number of bikes also.

I've got a Thule roof system.  Thought about a rear mounted one but on the roof there's no chance of the bike being hit and it gets far less road grit/grime all over it.

It also means I can still access the boot. Plus its much more obvious if someone tried to tamper/steal it and there are locks on both the bike holder and the bars.

And with my sunroof I can still keep an eye on it!

Oh, and the rear mounted ones (except the tow bar jobs) do leave wear marks on your paint if you don't use clear film stickers in my experience.

Edited by Professor

I do a lot of riding and shall be using the car to transport the bike. thought long about the tow bar option but decided that the car is so narrow the bike would be extending a long way either side. Too much risk from oncoming cars knocking the bike off on narrow roads in my opinion. I shall get the VAG roof bars as they look better when fitted, than the Thule, as the corners are rounded off nicely. I shall get the Thule bike carrier however.

My way (in case anyone doubts ;) )

11344034423_20ab032008_z.jpg

Tarpaulin used because the bike will be anything but clean and dry on the way back :D

Or to hang off the back.. maybe this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_772151_langId_-1_categoryId_165477

Edited by Mike Wrightson