likes the cold?

Is it my imagination or does the 1.8 TSi go even better when it is cold? I find that mine (which is bog standard), especially about 2 minutes after starting on a cold morning, goes even more like a rocket than usual. When I give it some boot in second or third it almost throws me out of the rear windscreen.

Anyone else find the weather affecting things (apart from skidding off into a lamp post I mean)?

• Like 1

Colder air is denser. So for each intake the engine is pulling through more air than it would in warmer climates.

^ basically.

Denser air has more oxygen per volume so the engine can add more fuel to the mix and still burn it properly. More fuel + more oxygen = more power.

Shouldn't be a massive difference though.

As previously mentioned cooler air is more dense and so your engine is essentially getting a more complete combustion.

Cool damp weather is best but can lead to other problems such as carb icing or 2-strokes lean seizing... but that's another story :-)

I imagine an engine with CCV and EGR mods would be in its element.

Yep mine feels a little perkier after a couple of minutes and of course warm air floweth from the vents  after 30 seconds or so

My old TD Bora took ages to warm up!

Tis a formidable machine , understated , reliable  and seriously quick!

If it was me I wouldn't be booting it two mins after starting at as the engine won't be upto operating temperature.

Well, perhaps I exaggerated. I meant that when using what I would call normal brisk driving procedures, it seems to produce surprisingly greater than expected results!