VRS Blackline oil leak after delivery

Hello all,

Not the first post I really wanted to make!

This morning I picked up a 62 plate VRS Blackline TDI estate from a franchised dealer. After driving it home and then to do some shopping, I noticed on carrying the bags indoors a small pool of oil on the drive. Not at all good. Looking underneath there was a liberal smear of oil on the covers under the engine and a steady drip. Immediately checked the oil which was exactly half way on the hatched markings, then called the dealer. They agreed I could bring it in immediately - I need a car! Drove back to the garage like a granny - no warnings or problems but still dripping steadily on arrival (created a nice oil slick for their forecourt to match the one on my drive).

I have a new MK3 DSG FSI Hatchback as a free loaner (which is OK but I prefer the Mk2 by far, interestingly) until their service dept can look at it on Monday. They were helpful and apologetic, I have no complaints with the service so far.  And I love the car.

My question is, should I be worried about engine damage or future problems? I'm guessing someone didn't fit the sump plug washer correctly, which doesn't fill me with massive confidence in their service department - although due to my location I'll be getting it serviced in the future at a different Skoda dealership anyway.

So, not a great day but I'd be interested in any views on whether this is a Bad Thing rather than just a bad thing.

Welcome to the forum. From what you've said there should be absolutely nothing to worry about. Afterall you can run a blackline with the oil level at minimum without any problems so although you've lost the oil through a leak rather than by it being used by the engine because you didn't get an oil light I can't see it having any affect on the long term prospects for what is (in my biased opinion) a real cracking motor. See if you can get anything off them for your trouble and let us know what the cause was.

Can't remember when and the exact details, but I read someone on here got the dealer to pay to clean/repair their drive, after their new purchase leaked oil onto their recently installed drive.

Worth bearing in mind.

Not got the car back yet, but have had an update. Apparently there was a hairline crack in the oil filter housing... The housing has been replaced; they had to order it in hence the delay.

They are also going to clean all the oil off the underside of the car, and send someone to clean my drive. Hope to have the car back with me tomorrow or Thursday.

Going ok then, but can't wait to have the car back - I've only driven it for an hour since buying it a week ago!

The saga continued today, although I finally have the VRS back.

Oil Filter housing replaced, drive all cleaned, underside cleaned. All good.

Then they discover a chunk out of one of the wheels, and didn't know if it was them or not - so refurbed it for free. Can't have been me, I've barely driven it.  Then they got the car down off the lift and noticed the NSR tyre was low - pumped it up but found it had a nail in it and had been run while flat... New tyre needed, which they replaced again for free while I waited. I drove off, got about 10 miles away and realised I'd left my car park pass in the replacement car so had to go all the way back again. Made it to work only 2 hours late...

I'm happy without a free service m0bov - to be honest the garage is far out of my way, my local dealer will be seeing it instead, in 10,000 miles...

Yes, I'm very pleased. Having my services done there means an extra hour's round trip but they certainly have my goodwill, so we'll see.

It was Crawley Down Skoda, near East Grinstead.