battery change

johnswift

• 3 weeks later...

Done it's on my Yeti and it needs coding. Even if the same battery type then you have to tell the car a different serial number so it resets all the charge parameters to a new battery. I changed battery manufacturer, Ah rating and battery type EFB to AGM   So I had even more bits to update.

None were hard as I have a VCDS cable but it's not just swap the battery with some spanners and done.

You don't have to go a dealer. I just got a battery online from Tayna and swapped it myself.

If you don't have VCDS, Carista etc then check the VCDS Owners map for someone local. Physically swap the battery yourself and find a local VCDS owner to then update the gateway.

• 3 years later...

My son's Citigo suddenly failed to start a couple of days after a 120m run.  Dash lights still came on and windows work, but no power to turn the motor over.  Used jump leads to check that it was not the starter motor or something else, started immediately.  On getting home, would not start again but windows worked (slowly).

The main questions/observations are as follows:

1.  At no time did the battery light appear on the dash and there was no yellow colour on the battery 'window'.

2.  Am I correct in thinking that a new battery really has to be recoded to the car, as per Aubrey's post a few years ago.

3.  I'd like to avoid dealers or garages so, is it easy to download the software and obtain the hardware to do this myself.

There are a couple of VCDS guys near me in Wakefield, one in Wakefield itself  and the other in Pontefract.  Would be happy to contact them if they can help.

Cheers all!

Edited by beezera10

I'd be suspicious of the charging if immediately after a good run it couldn't start. Even bad batteries would immediately start the vehicle. I note you did say no warning light was up while driving though. At the very least can you confirm the voltage on the battery when the engine is running, is it 13.5 to 14.5 volts. How old is the battery ? Has it been sluggish, slow turn over, with starting for a while ?

Maybe I'm just being too cautious and not just immediately blaming the battery.

Edit: just reread you say a couple of days after a long run. OK, in that case I would blame the battery.

I've read lots of comments if you swap the same type of battery and Ah rating then coding is not so important. Get it done if you can but don't sweat too much if a similar like for like battery swap.

Edited by aubrey
  • Like 1

Cheers Aubrey, and thanks for your quick reply.  We acquired the car at 3 years old with 12k on the clock, and I doubt the battery was changed in that time.  We've had the car almost 7 years so, if I'm right, the battery is coming up to 9-10 years old.  It hasn't turned over as quickly just recently, that has been noticeable.

Thanks for the coding advice!  I haven't investigated the Ah rating just yet, and I think the original is EFB rather than AGM (again not sure just yet).  I know the car isn't very heavy on power, so I'm guessing EFB.  This is the item I have in mind.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254879881479?epid=2288064656&itmmeta=01HS4GGH0YP21079NAW9F4869Z&hash=item3b58065907:g:ZUIAAOSw6W9knqh-&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0HFEMV5wamrwgbzE1xlWMjSqjYc--64abuIJmFcUz2vh29A%2FYKs%2FpiI%2BxppOw%2BUN6K50feYrZiCyT5nQGlpfIKhJ51wlqKhgLqIKdV%2Fg5odxZARY1Es03gTJ%2FcOkpfCK9idmnw63KCocPJpRhqH3wrXcQ8g9Cml9l1WIYXKkSl9wEZrM15W4opogTnvK2GbrjvuGpVMiizMYlkqV2A%2BiYKEG4VSrK0nFm04XGrN25NUWNqaq%2FUOj7encNQSOh5N4oSw6d2%2Fmdw%2BGWuFLIAaNQFk%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR9CQwpDJYw

Thanks again!

Maybe not this battery as the terminal shape doesn't look right??

Edited by beezera10

Cheers Aubrey, I've done that.  Was looking for a better brand at a keener price.

I don't suppose you know, offhand, whether the original battery is AGM or EFB - will be checking anyway.

Thanks again.

@beezera10 Most likely your original battery was EFB if your car has automatic stop-start - if so, strongly recommend getting any replacement battery adapted (coded) into your vehicles system via VCDS.

Cheers!  It is EFB and the replacement is 60Ah with the same CCA of 640, identical to the original apart from going from 59Ah to 60Ah.  

There is a lot of conflicting advice on the coding.  Some say that the vehicle's computer will adapt to the new battery without coding.  Also, the handbook doesn't specify recoding at all if the battery capacity and specs are the same.  All the suppliers I've looked at (including Tayna) never mention it, although you would have thought they might if there's a risk to the battery.  Just wondering if it's only on increasing the specs from standard that recoding may become more important?

I never use the stop-start, and this seems to be the main reason for coding so that charge can be kept optimal and managed more closely.  If so, I'm guessing that it may not be as important to do the coding if the battery isn't under this extra load??

What would I need if I did decide to do VCDS myself, and how much would it cost?

There is a register of members who are prepared to assist with VCDS coding - usually for 'beer tokens' Search for VCDS map.

If you normally switch off stop start  every time you drive, the 'smart charging'  energy recuperation system will still be active - this limits battery charging  to around 75% to allow capacity for regenerative charging.

Even if the replacement is identical spec. to original, battery adaptation is recommended to let the BCM know that any faults that may have been causing the smart charging system to limit alternator output have now been removed and the system can revert to manufacturers settings.  

Thanks mate.  There are a couple of members near me.  I've messaged one but he's not posted in a year or so.  May well try the other guy.  TBH, didn't know the Citigo had energy recuperation.  I'm guessing that the battery will be ok for a short period of time prior to coding - need it back on the road asap.

Appreciate your help!

• Like 1

"Citigo had energy recuperation"...

Yes is does, and AFAIK all cars with smart alternators do.

When come off the throttle, the alternator kicks in (depending battery charge state), and uses some of the car's kinetic energy to charge, hence "energy recuperation".  As soon as you back on the throttle, the alternator is turned off, but will periodically start up to keep the battery at 80% or similar level.

A great feature, but it really messes with caravan owners, who largely don't understand why leisure batteries don't charged on older caravans lacking DC-DC converters!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beezera10 said:

Cheers 

Are you in agreement about the necessity to get the battery coded?

Strongly recommend.

• Like 2

On 16/03/2024 at 19:13, beezera10 said:

My son's Citigo suddenly failed to start a couple of days after a 120m run.  Dash lights still came on and windows work, but no power to turn the motor over. 

At no time did the battery light appear on the dash and there was no yellow colour on the battery 'window'.

Am I correct in thinking that a new battery really has to be recoded to the car, as per Aubrey's post a few years ago.

There are a couple of VCDS guys near me in Wakefield, one in Wakefield itself  and the other in Pontefract.  Would be happy to contact them if they can help.

The following isn't to say too late now but to help for the future. 

You put you turn the start/stop off and that it was noticeable that the starting hasn't It hasn't turned over as quickly just recently - that was your warning, don't wait for lights or messages, and don't take too much notice of the battery "magic eye" or ball (I think they only work on one out of the six cells anyway?) putting the battery on a long, low. slow charge with an appropriate battery charger maintainer then may have recovered it enough for a bit more more useful life.  Appropriate use of an appropriate charger maintainer for preventive charges previously may have extended the useful battery life even further and when necessary could extend the useful life of the new battery, bear in mind the alternator and car are no longer new as they originally were for the previous battery.

I go with best to 'code' the battery just to be sure but don't panic about it being done absolutely at point of new battery installation.  I would fit the new battery and immediately fully charge it (won't take long if the new battery is well charged, ready to fit doesn't always /usually(?) mean fully charged) with an appropriate battery charger maintainer reading and following the advice in the car's Owner's Manual and battery charger instructions that way the car's computer program can see the battery has ben charged to full so might then know, even if not told by 'coding' that the battery is new, that the battery is fully charged and not on its arse as before.

After you fitted and fully charged the new battery start the car, with the engine running turn the steering wheel to full lock both ways, put the lights and air-con on, to my mind this will tell the computers the car can cope with the electrical load so battery (alternator) are up to snuff so it can rest it's little mind.  I might be wrong with this and it's unnecessary but it's all quick, easy, virtually free of cost and you're out of the elements and not getting your hands dirty so best type of car work to try.

Another bit of info you also might or might not be interested in, to save virtual space and virtual ink  you can put direct hyperlink to eBay items by just putting up to the end of the item (itm) number, e.g. - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254879881479 

Terminal type looks OK to me, see "Compare terminal type" here. - https://www.tayna.co.uk/tutorials/how-to-choose-a-car-battery

The Hankook 60AH SE56010 is 560 CCA (EN) according to their catalogue (page 21). - https://cdn.hankook-atlasbx.com/PRD/CUSTOMER/20210817/4e4fbc9f-6367-4134-ba7c-a3e33e1e31ca/HANKOOK_GLOBAL_C.pdf

Moll batteries IIRC(?) were rated at CCA EN(?).

CCA and EN Ratings on Car Batteries Explained - https://growenergy.com.au/news/15616-cca-en-ratings-car-batteries

VAarta Blue Dynamic EFB 12v 60Ah  (560500064) (027 EFB) is 640 CCA (EN) - https://cdn.tayna.com/datasheets/Varta N60 Blue Dynamic EFB 560 500 064 Data Sheet.pdf

HTH.

Edited by nta16
spelling