Tow Bar for Octy3 VRS estate?

Yes possibly a little sacrilege....but needs must! :blush:

Anybody have or planning to fit a swan neck onto their new vRS estate soon? What make of bar is it and more importantly whats the cost?? 

Photos would be good if possible

Thanks

I'd be interested in any feedback on detachable tow bars for the VRS estate and the complexity of fitting. From what I've read, installation is a doddle (for the mechanical bits at least), but what about the electrics?

David

Just received these couple of quotes for those interested

Octy3 VRS Estate

Witter swan neck £230+VAT (supply and fit)

Westfalia detachable £350+VAT (supply and fit)

• Like 1

Are those prices for full electrics (caravan) or just lighting (trailer/light board)?

I was going to buy detachable Westfalia bar and full electrics from PF Jones for £307 and fit myself but for £350 its not worth getting my tools dirty!

Best to ensure it gets fitted properly to the cars electrics....i.e so that the parking sensors disable when the trailer is hooked up and that the ESP's trailer stabilisation function is all working.

Some places wire it up just so the lights work which is not so great.

I'm having a Towbar on my VRS for a car trailer. I chose Towbar prep and will have the dealer fit the rest on the day they get it.

Definetly go for Towbar prep even if you aren't 100% you'll fit it. If you do decide to fit one, the fitters won't have to pull all the trim up to lay the loom to the fusebox

I'm having a detachable 10-pin fitted this Wednesday by my Dealer. It's been on order for quite a while, is the proper Skoda attachment and I think the cost is around £370, all inclusive.

Sorry, it's a VRS TDi Estate!

Edited by Fatfudgecat

Are those prices for full electrics (caravan) or just lighting (trailer/light board)?

I was going to buy detachable Westfalia bar and full electrics from PF Jones for £307 and fit myself but for £350 its not worth getting my tools dirty!

Just lighting

Thanks APoll, still a good price though if dedicated kit and includes programming of the car.

Note on Towbar prep - if you want full caravan electrics the fitter still needs to run the split charge circuit back to battery. Ironic really as Skoda hold the Caravan Towcar of the Year award with the Superb!

If anybody want to fit their own towbar it isn't difficult. I used a Westfalia kit on my current FL VRS and took me about 3-hours. If you want to see instructions most online towbar suppliers have them to view - I used PFJones (www.pfjones.co.uk). You will need somebody with VCDS to program the car though.

Tow bar fitted and I'm very happy with it; detachable unit and the electric coupling folds up behind the bumper when not in use, i.e. there's absolutely nothing to see when it's not wanted. Brilliant!

• Like 1

That's great. Really appreciated.

Apologies all, raining cats and dogs here, blowing a gale and as black as night - will do this tomorrow when the light is better and the ground drier (hands and knees job - the tow bar, before anyone asks!)

Hi all,

Well, rain has stopped - just. Wind still howling and, oh look, it's raining again. Anyway, I have taken photos of the car with/without the tow and have attached them to this thread for you.

It's a Skoda detachable tow bar and it was £375 all in, fitted by Telfords in Carlisle.

The pictures are not on the same post as I still can't figure out how to do this (I did Look at Dropbox, but that seemed too much like hard work!)

OK, on with the show.

Here's the car without the tow bar:post-106713-0-93953600-1387877280_thumb.jpg

And the underneath of the car without the tow bar, i.e. the fitting area:post-106713-0-18552600-1387877332_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Now the tow bar itself, it's a VW unit:post-106713-0-91894000-1387877450_thumb.jpg

And finally the tow bar on the car, as stated earlier in the post, the electrical hook up drops down from underneath the bumper, so it all looks very neat when not in use:post-106713-0-83635400-1387877527_thumb.jpg

It's left open, but you can't see it and as it's been done by the Dealer I have a full three year warranty on the work. There is a removable plastic cover that sits in the hole where the tow bar goes to prevent detritus getting into the fitment area.

In addition I read the installation manual and there appears to have been quite a lot of protective gunk applied to the relevant areas, so I am happy with my choice!

Edited by Fatfudgecat
  • Like 1

Great photos, thanks. Does the towbar have a lock, my old Mk2 has a securing/locking arm to hold the swan neck in place, this in turn has a lock on it to stop robbers/pranksters from taking the swan neck section.

Regards

T

Edited by themanwithnoaim