Hissing noise from the back of Octavia 3 Diesel

I'd be surprised if the pump affected economy, as it's going to be the injectors that control what actually makes it to the cylinders, but worth keeping an eye on.

I'm on 54mpg over the first 5500 miles or so, but my driving patterns and style may be quite different to yours.

The 150 2.0 Octavia is noticably lighter than the vRS as well which probably helps.  I've got one on loan whilst the dealer changes the pump - very impressed by the engine, just a pity it's a SE with no steering wheel controls or arm rest.

Just to update this -

I took my hissing vRS to the dealer a few months ago only to be told by the "head tech" that there wasn't anything wrong.  Strangley enough the car was in for it's 10k service this morning and the same dealership have diagnosed a faulty fuel pump.

If this explains why I'm only getting 42mpg I'm not going to be happy...  There's going to be some screaming.

I was informed that the hissing was due to a mis-shaped nozzle in the low pressure side pump. This should not affect fuel economy as it is the high pressure side that is responsible for economy, performance and emissions.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi, could I get some advice from people who have had the hissing noise fixed. I took mine to be checked and they said the fuel sender is being replaced??? I thought it was the fuel pump that was the issue. I did also check with him if the fuel sender and fuel pump are the same thing but he said NO?

I get this too, done it from new so i suspect its normal.

Its definitely not normal, I think its a massive batch of faulty fuel pumps or senders as they put it. Im guessing if enough people have them replaced they will issue a recall for them

Just got the car back today and they have replaced the fuel pump, so my advice if your hisses take it to the dealer or buy yourself a pungi (snake charming flute) =)

• 6 months later...

Hello all.

I have recently had the same symptoms on my Mk 3 TDI VRS estate. Hissing at the rear of the car. I took it into dealer as I already had a fault with the auto adaptive headlights and they changed the fuel pump without argument. Glad this was under warranty!!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up my second new Octy III yesterday a 1.6 TDI having switched from a 1.2 TSI and noticed the hissing sound at the rear of the car, I can hear it from the inside and it's quite loud from the outside. Very disappointed as I didn't have a single issue with the 1.2 TSI after 3 years happy motoring now it looks like this ones on its way back after 2 days...Luckily I work not far from the dealer so will pop in tomorrow.

Mine is hissing. Maybe it always has can't recall but after reading this it's 'another trip to the dealer'

These 'trips' are becoming a right ballache. I never thought for one minute when buying a skoda I would be tethered so much to the dealer. Every 3 to 4 months something either breaks, leaks or makes a stange noise. I know the rival car manufacturers are not much better but even so.

I would use the collect and drop off service to avoid wasting (my) time but last time this was used my car was scratched which resulted in 'another trip to the dealer' oh and I was told my car is 'slow' by the monkey dropping it off!

Next stop dacia.

Edited by octavianestate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...