Hissing noise from the back of Octavia 3 Diesel

Hi Guys,

I just received my Octavia from the dealer last week and made already 1000Km with it. I noticed some days ago that i have some hissing noise from underneath the back wheels or fuel tank. I made a short video with it just to make an ideea about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhR4o-ZCxeY

Is this an issue or is just normal for this kind of Octavia model?

Car is working perfect, no warning lights.

This hissing noise is starting after 6-7 minutes i start the car and does not go away if i take of the fuel cap.

Specs of the car:

O3 2013 / 2.0 TDI 150HP/6 speed manual / estate

Many thanks for your kind answer and wishing you all a lovely day.

With best regards,

B.

• Like 1

It sounds a bit metallic to me. I am no expert but as you say it only starts after a few minutes it is probably as heat is put into the area around the exhaust. Maybe one of the heat shields or an exhaust bracket.

It would be a good idea to take it to the dealer & they can look underneath on the ramps. Much better when you can get a good look around underneath.

If its normal then every 2.0 tdi should do it.... mine only made that noise when I had a puncture! I definitely do not have a noise like that anywhere on the car.

Could be the exhaust blowing.

I had a mondeo St and the rear silencer broke away from the rest of the exhaust system completely, you would think it would sound like a tank but it doesn't... only indication anything was wrong was more turbo noise when accelerating and if you parked over leaves they would get blown around.

Edited by Sheldon.Cooper

Your noise is your fuel pump! They are very hissy and they almost sound as if you have a flat tyre !

Hi VRSmissile

You are completely right about the sound type, sounds exactly like you have a flat tyre. But i don't know if it is a normal condition or is attributed to wrong mounting ar loose gaskets.

Wishing you a nice evening,

B.

Hello.

I picked up my new Octavia 1,6 TDI 4x4 In November 2013. Just done 1850 KM. I hear the same noise comming from the fueltank area. Sounds like a loud air pressure release from under the car. When i start the car cold, the sounds comes after 10-15 sek. , and starting hot its there from the start. It`s driving me crazy. Sounds like a flat tire but noisy like if u cutt up the tire with a knive ! On trucks with airtanks the compresser valve makes the same sound when it reaches full BAR capacity. Sounds like a truck blowing compressed air. We have a lot of both Passat 2013 and Octavia 2012 Diesel in the company. None of them makes this noise! Going to the dealers on Monday (13/1-14) to let them check and tell me if this is normal or what. NO warning lamps or engine fail lamps. The sound is there with/without aircon/blower on and opening the fuletank fill its still there. I HATE this sound !  

• Like 1

Hello.

I picked up my new Octavia 1,6 TDI 4x4 In November 2013. Just done 1850 KM. I hear the same noise comming from the fueltank area. Sounds like a loud air pressure release from under the car. When i start the car cold, the sounds comes after 10-15 sek. , and starting hot its there from the start. It`s driving me crazy. Sounds like a flat tire but noisy like if u cutt up the tire with a knive ! On trucks with airtanks the compresser valve makes the same sound when it reaches full BAR capacity. Sounds like a truck blowing compressed air. We have a lot of both Passat 2013 and Octavia 2012 Diesel in the company. None of them makes this noise! Going to the dealers on Monday (13/1-14) to let them check and tell me if this is normal or what. NO warning lamps or engine fail lamps. The sound is there with/without aircon/blower on and opening the fuletank fill its still there. I HATE this sound !  

Hi NorwayR

Thanks for sharing your problem. Please let us know about the findings, i am curious also.

Wishing you a nice evening,

With regards,

B.

• Like 1

On your fuel tank you will have a fuel sender pump, which sends fuel to your engines main common rail fuel pump!

Its annoying but really shes nothing to worry about if you cars still running fine ......theres no issue there!

Also don't forget that not all VAG models fuel pumps will make a noise !

Edited by VRSmissile

Hi,

I had my Diesel Vrs delivered early Dec-13. I noticed the same noise from near the fuel tank after an hour. Having owned the previous Vrs diesel, it just did not sound right. I decided to give it 1000 miles to see if anything changed. Along with the noise I had shocking fuel consumption. I struggled to get 400 miles from a full tank all on the motorway in Economy mode not driving faster than 80mph. Of course being a brand new car that may of contributed to the poor consumption.

I got to 1500 miles still no change in the noise from the fuel tank. I took it down to my local Skoda main dealer (Harlow) just before Christmas. The technician diagnosed the noise as a noisy fuel tank pump within 30 seconds, commenting that he had changed another noisy pump earlier that week. They replaced the pump for me on Thurs (09/01). The noise has gone and I have an immediate improvement in fuel consumption. Only done 220 miles on the motorway so far and not even used half a tank. Still got 300 miles range left according to maxidot, which appears to be quite accurate. 520 miles from 50 litres I am happy with, should continue to increase as the engine beds in more.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I just received my Octavia from the dealer last week and made already 1000Km with it. I noticed some days ago that i have some hissing noise from underneath the back wheels or fuel tank. I made a short video with it just to make an ideea about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhR4o-ZCxeY

Is this an issue or is just normal for this kind of Octavia model?

Car is working perfect, no warning lights.

This hissing noise is starting after 6-7 minutes i start the car and does not go away if i take of the fuel cap.

Specs of the car:

O3 2013 / 2.0 TDI 150HP/6 speed manual / estate

Many thanks for your kind answer and wishing you all a lovely day.

With best regards,

B.

Any update for this bunsoft?

Hi jaffacakes,

My consumption i can say is quite ok. I made my first 1000Km with 5.6l / 100km average and my range was 820Km with full tank. I called the local dealer yesterday and tried out a drive test octavia with the same result. Hissing noise exactly like mine. They told me it is normal for this series of fuel pumps.

I wonder what will be NorwayR feedback from his experience with his dealer.

Wishing you a lovely evening.

With best regards,

B.

So  back to "the sound". Right back from the dealers now. Checked the car on lift and the mecanic sais the sound is not right. We also started up a brand new car in the showroom to listen, and the noise was not there on the other car (same model). They will order a new fuelpump (the one in the fueltank) and try to change that. The hissing noise (sounds like compressed air leaking) is located to the fuel tank area (inside or on top of the tank). He said it can not be a faulty gasket because there is no diesel smell and no leaks to see and the car runs fine, so just the sound. To him it sounds like there could be a bend on the diesel return hose or a damage inside the pump that makes this noise.    

Hi,

I had my Diesel Vrs delivered early Dec-13. I noticed the same noise from near the fuel tank after an hour. Having owned the previous Vrs diesel, it just did not sound right. I decided to give it 1000 miles to see if anything changed. Along with the noise I had shocking fuel consumption. I struggled to get 400 miles from a full tank all on the motorway in Economy mode not driving faster than 80mph. Of course being a brand new car that may of contributed to the poor consumption.

I got to 1500 miles still no change in the noise from the fuel tank. I took it down to my local Skoda main dealer (Harlow) just before Christmas. The technician diagnosed the noise as a noisy fuel tank pump within 30 seconds, commenting that he had changed another noisy pump earlier that week. They replaced the pump for me on Thurs (09/01). The noise has gone and I have an immediate improvement in fuel consumption. Only done 220 miles on the motorway so far and not even used half a tank. Still got 300 miles range left according to maxidot, which appears to be quite accurate. 520 miles from 50 litres I am happy with, should continue to increase as the engine beds in more.

My dealer is also ordering a new pump today. Same sound and problem but my fuel cons. is ok. Arround 0,62 liters /10 KM.  ( 1,6 TDI 4x4, -10 `c outside and bad roads)

Edited by NorwayR

My car is currently at skoda garage having had its passenger washer jet adjusted as like others on here it wouldn't retract properly, I mentioned the hissing noise and they said it was loud and compared it to a couple of other VRS's they had in the showroom and mine was a lot louder, they have sent a technical request report to the Skoda UK to see if anyone else is reporting this problem and what can be done they said they should hear something by tomorrow, I have to be honest I never noticed it until I read this thread. I will post their response when I get it.