Mobile Swimming Pool

Cossie1

where is that the floor pan??

i just fixed this on my mates , he had poor sealing door rubbers. changed them and seemed to do the trick.

Passenger side, first pics are the front along the transmission tunnel, the rest are the rear foot well.

Heavy rain again last night, and today the rear passenger footwell was full of water again.

The passenger rear door was also wet inside, but no obvious sign of the drain holes in the bottom being blocked :wonder:

Is the water sitting at the bottom of the door on top of the door seal? Check for that. Mine was doing that because the membrane was leaking. It then runs down past the interior trim and soaks the foot well. My front passenger door membrane is leaking now soaking the front foot well. If its not it sounds like the door seal. Get someone to pour water on the door outside while you check for leaks inside.

Is the water sitting at the bottom of the door on top of the door seal? Check for that. Mine was doing that because the membrane was leaking. It then runs down past the interior trim and soaks the foot well. My front passenger door membrane is leaking now soaking the front foot well. If its not it sounds like the door seal. Get someone to pour water on the door outside while you check for leaks inside.

Hard to tell as I didn't think to check before driving off, it was only when I put my foot on the brake and the mrs got wet feet did I realise that it had leaked again :giggle:

So by the time I stopped there was alot of splashes in the back and inside the door.

However there is no membrane on either rear door as I ripped it off when I stripped the interior out at the beginning of the year as I wanted to move the un-needed wiring inside the doors rather than have it dangling about.

The membrane on the door is what stops the water getting in, you'll need to obtain and refix the membrane. The water is probably  running down the window (as its designed to) and dripping off the bottom and running down the door card back before entering the floor pan. The membrane keeps the water inside the door, thus the water drips out through the drains in the bottom of the door.

The membrane on the door is what stops the water getting in, you'll need to obtain and refix the membrane. The water is probably  running down the window (as its designed to) and dripping off the bottom and running down the door card back before entering the floor pan. The membrane keeps the water inside the door, thus the water drips out through the drains in the bottom of the door.

There are no rear door cards fitted either, it's just left open, but yeh I see what you mean.

I will get some thick bin liners and some duct tape and see if that cures it ;)

I've just got some clear sheeting from b&q. It was 6 or 7 quid and there is loads of it! I made my own membrane as the original was leaking through a tiny rip along the bottom. If yours hasn't got one at all that's what the problem will be.

Normally puddles in footwells are due to these: 

- Door inner panel plastic membrane(these can be damaged from speaker installs) and if broken allow water that runs down into cabin floor

- Door rubbers( weak door rubbers will not seal over the metal door frame/lip)

- Door drainage blocked

Or a combination of all 3

If you have no membrane then that is the  most likely cause buddy as although you may be lucky on light rain falls, heavy rain fails you door channel will not cope in getting the water out quick enough. Also depending on the angle the car is the water can drop down into panel instead of through the drain holes, and if you don't have panels on that's a double whammy...

ive also had water build up on top of rear right door seal at bottom and slightly damp carpet, my membrane has some rips near the top but the bottom seems fine and drain holes are clear, only does it after very heavy rain, thinking about ringing skoda and getting a new door seal rubber

Best thing to do before spending any money would be to dry it all off and get someone to pour water onto the door, first at the top and then down the glass. Sit inside you'll see where its leaking.

ive also had water build up on top of rear right door seal at bottom and slightly damp carpet, my membrane has some rips near the top but the bottom seems fine and drain holes are clear, only does it after very heavy rain, thinking about ringing skoda and getting a new door seal rubber

Yep that is best approach.

Does yours have a sunroof... If it does then the rear drain channels could be blocked.

Well I had to drain about 2 litres out of it again this morning (it rained heavy for the last 2 nights), so I thought it's time to do something about it now.

I went to B&Q and bought some thick polythene rubble bags (£3 for 10) and a large roll of duct tape.

This is what my new rear door membrane looks like now :D

post-95943-0-79317500-1388678595_thumb.jpg

Sadly on the other side I ran out of tape, so it doesn't look quite so good at the moment, but atleast they should both be water tight now.

post-95943-0-65149200-1388678591_thumb.jpg

I also removed all the sound deadening from the passenger footwell (front and rear), what a SH1TE job that is, taken me nearly all day, my hands are killing me, and I still haven't finished as I need to get the remainder of the glue off the floor as it looks really messy now, but I had to do it, as there was alot of water trapped under it, and I have no doubt this would have caused me lots of problems later on.

• Like 1

Well I had to drain about 2 litres out of it again this morning (it rained heavy for the last 2 nights), so I thought it's time to do something about it now.

I went to B&Q and bought some thick polythene rubble bags (£3 for 10) and a large roll of duct tape.

This is what my new rear door membrane looks like now :D

attachicon.gifIMG_2644.JPG

Sadly on the other side I ran out of tape, so it doesn't look quite so good at the moment, but atleast they should both be water tight now.

attachicon.gifIMG_2643.JPG

I also removed all the sound deadening from the passenger footwell (front and rear), what a SH1TE job that is, taken me nearly all day, my hands are killing me, and I still haven't finished as I need to get the remainder of the glue off the floor as it looks really messy now, but I had to do it, as there was alot of water trapped under it, and I have no doubt this would have caused me lots of problems later on.

wow dude you have shares in duct tape now....

Let's hope that fixes it...

wow dude you have shares in duct tape now....

Let's hope that fixes it...

Yeh lol, I just didn't want to get that annoying flapping noise when the windows are open, as thats the reason I ripped the old membrane off :rofl:

Well the new rear door membrane didn't fix anything.

I know the scuttle panel draining is clear at the top and bottom as i've had the scuttle off a few times this year, and I have also cleared the insides of the arch lining at the bottom, but I wonder if it's coming through the grommet that the boost gauge vac hose is going through.

Will check that tomorrow if it's dry.

• 2 weeks later...

Well last week I removed the scuttle panel and the drains were clear, however the grommet that I put the boost gauge through had vanished (no sign of it anywhere), so I had a hole in the bulkhead and behind the pollen filter was a build up of wet mush lol.

So I cleaned it all out, and "borrowed" a grommet from the boot area, and held it in place with some duct tape.

I also noticed that the bottom of the pollen filter frame was wet, but the filter itself was dry.

Anyhow over the last week it hasn't rained as heavy, but there has still been water getting in, so it doesn't seem to be the scuttle panel area at fault (although still not 100% convinced that some water isn't coming in through the heater blower box).

On friday I went out for a drive for a few miles and on the dual carridgeway on the way home, it started to rain pretty heavy.

Sure enough when I got home, there was a small amount of water in the passenger footwell again.

So this morning as it was dry, I had another look and again there is a little water in the footwell as it rained last night.

The only place I hadn't looked so far was the passenger door.

So I pulled the door card off, and first thing I notice, the previous owner has fitted some Alpine speakers :D

However they way he fitted them meant the membrain was ripped in a few places, I checked the drain holes in the bottom of the door and they are all clear, so I was a bit confused, but then I looked at the back of the door card and it was soaked, at the bottom of the speaker area.

Looking closer the speak grille was also wet and the clip under the speaker was wet too.

So it seems because of the way the speakers were fitted any water running inside the door, was running around the speaker and then coming in from the doorcard (as this goes past the door seal), and in really bad rain, I guess it was also coming in from the speaker grille.

Anyway I chucked some duct tape around the membrain and tried to make it as tight a seal as I can, just have to see how it goes now.