Brake upgrade on 2005 Octavia MK2 1.9 TDI 105 bhp

hello everybody.

Been watching the forum for a couple of months, but only now got a real itch i'd like to scratch.

As per title, I would like to upgrade the brakes on my fabulous car: is a Mk2 octavia Elegance from 2005, 1.9 tdi 105 bhp, engine code BJB.

I bought it a year ago from my uncle, who really didn't have time to drive it. It had only 66.000 Km on it when I took it from him.

Yesterday I reached 95.000 km and no problems for a car that is almost 9 years old. That's why I love it :D.

In spring, car car is due for a disks and pads replacement on all four wheels and I would like bigger ones as I intend on doing a remap of the engine also... nothing fancy: just an increase to 140 bhp. It's not like I will be speeding down the road, but it will feel very nice when I need to overtake some lorry or something, and of course, I will feel much more secure about the brakes also.

Please don't tell me I don't need better / bigger brakes. I want them because it feels safer and because they will look better on my car, now that I've purchased a set of 18' Zenith wheels.

So returning to the question I would like some help with, what parts do I need for a straight swap?

Right now, standard size of the disks are 280 mm on the front, don't remember for the back.

I am expecting a budget of about 400 pounds / euros for all parts except labour. I have a friend that is a mechanic at the largest Skoda dealership in my country and he'll help me out.

If somebody would post part codes together with their proposals that would be great, or some links.

From what some people are telling me, I would also be needing new bigger shock absorbers and springs, like the ones found on the 2.0 version or the Vrs one.

Thank you so much for your input!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I managed to find a 2006 2.0 tsfi Mk II Octavia RS at the breakers. Will be picking the whole set of calipers and carriers.

But just as I have feared, my shocks aren't compatible with RS' brakes - on the 1.9 Tdi they are 50 mm in diameter, as opposed to the RS' 55 mm. because of this I will be picking the entire front and back assembly just to make sure I won't be missing any parts when I will be mounting them on my car. Either way the guy who is selling the parts doesn't want to split the suspension and the brakes - he is selling the front and back suspension and braking system together for aprox. 400 euros. Then I will just have to buy new discs, pads and braking fluid.

I would have loved to buy the eibach springs and bilstein shocks but I don't have the funds for those yet. I will be using the ones that come from the RS.

I wonder if the hubs would require replacement also?Any input is greatly appreciated.

I may have not mentioned this before but I am not technical in any way and I am just guided in this project by what I read on this forum.

I'll keep you posted on the progress -tomorrow I'll go see the parts and decide whether to buy them or not.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a '56 plate 105hp L&K estate.

I found the brake inadequte for crossing the Alps with a load on board.  Pedal to the floor and all that.

I fitted some 312mm discs and calipers which I sourced from a breaker via ebay.  They were from a new scirroco (106 miles only), so new discs and pads.  I paid £200 including postage for the  hubs, discs and calipers, pipes and pads.

If yours is like mine, the standard hubs won't accept any upgrade so you need ones from a VAG car which has removable caliper brackets.  If you can just get hubs which have a separate caliper carrier then you may be able to get the brackets then use your own calipers, just requiring the larger discs. 

Although many people said the shock absorbers would fit, they didn't and I had to get some new ones in a hurry and had to settle for less than I would have chosen.  My old ones were 50mm, and the new hubs needed 55mm.

Sorry I don't have part nos, but take care that ones you get are 5x112mm PCD wheel mount. There are lots of the 5x100 mm about.

I have a Shark stage 1, and a RARB too.  My car has factory fit 17"wheels, so according people on here, should have the sports suspension.  I can overtake and go round corners, stopping as and when necessary with out drama.

Thanks for your insight! My car is also a 2005 Octi mk2 1.9 TDI 105hp.

I think you had to change your hubs because the calipers and carriers from the donor car (scirocco) aren't compatible with Octi hubs.

Lots of people I spoke with told me that it's only required to grab the carriers, calipers and and shocks from a VRS mkII (the shocks are required only if I have a 1.9 TDI 105hp like we do - the 2.0 TDI already has the 55mm shocks)

I will be using only VRS parts to try to keep it as close to stock as possible.

I saw the VRS parts I was talking about in the earlier post and decided not to buy them. There was too much corrosion on them. I should just raise the money I need for a new set of 55 mm shocks, carriers, calipers,disks and pads. I think it will set me back a pretty penny.

Actually I know why I had to change the hubs - because you cannot fit any larger disc and compatible caliper to the low power Octavia.  The calipers are in the wrong place for any larger discs, in order to change this you need different hubs.

The scirroco parts I used are exactly the same as vRS parts.  Did you not know they are all made from the same VAG parts bin? 

This is the internet, most people don't know what they are talking about.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your insight! My car is also a 2005 Octi mk2 1.9 TDI 105hp.

I think you had to change your hubs because the calipers and carriers from the donor car (scirocco) aren't compatible with Octi hubs.

Lots of people I spoke with told me that it's only required to grab the carriers, calipers and and shocks from a VRS mkII (the shocks are required only if I have a 1.9 TDI 105hp like we do - the 2.0 TDI already has the 55mm shocks)

I will be using only VRS parts to try to keep it as close to stock as possible.

I saw the VRS parts I was talking about in the earlier post and decided not to buy them. There was too much corrosion on them. I should just raise the money I need for a new set of 55 mm shocks, carriers, calipers,disks and pads. I think it will set me back a pretty penny.

basically all you need to upgrade the brakes on PD105 Octavia mk2 are the carriers plus obviously discs and pads

I've done it already on my own Octavia there are some pics in my ad here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/281015-brake-caliper-carriers-for-288mm-312mm-upgrade-octavia-golf-leon/

assuming that you already have 288mm front brakes and 255mm rears  you don't need to touch shocks or anything else, just fit the carriers, discs and pads that's it.

In the pics it may look like I've changed everything but it wasn't for the brakes I just did suspension upgrade, underbody coating, powder coated calipers etc. at the same time

• 3 months later...
Hello! 

I'm also thinking of replacing my existing brakes on Octavia mk2 1.9TDI (current front FS-II 280mm, rear CII 41 260mm) with the RS brakes. I know that I can't just simply replace brakes with new one, so I'm wondering, what exactly I need. 

At the moment I have accumulated: 

Complete front and rear brake from O2 RS

Front hubs from Octavia 2.0TDI 

Front shock absorbers 55mm 

Do I need anything else? What about my existed front bearings? Will they fit in new hubs, or will I have to replace them? I would like to have all needed parts before I start disassembling my car. 

Thanks for the replies and best regards, 

tomyn18

Hello! 

I'm also thinking of replacing my existing brakes on Octavia mk2 1.9TDI (current front FS-II 280mm, rear CII 41 260mm) with the RS brakes. I know that I can't just simply replace brakes with new one, so I'm wondering, what exactly I need. 

At the moment I have accumulated: 

Complete front and rear brake from O2 RS
Front hubs from Octavia 2.0TDI 
Front shock absorbers 55mm 

Do I need anything else? What about my existed front bearings? Will they fit in new hubs, or will I have to replace them? I would like to have all needed parts before I start disassembling my car. 

Thanks for the replies and best regards, 
tomyn18

new bearings as you won't be able to remove them in one piece...

new bearings as you won't be able to remove them in one piece...

@yman750, thanks for reminding me 

Can I expect any problems with brake servo after replacing the brakes? Will original brake servo produce enough pressure for satisfied braking?
Is there significant difference after replacing original brakes with brakes from RS?
Edited by tomyn18

@yman750, thanks for reminding me 

Can I expect any problems with brake servo after replacing the brakes? Will original brake servo produce enough pressure for satisfied braking?
Is there significant difference after replacing original brakes with brakes from RS?

I haven't noticed any problems going from 288mm to 312mm, the difference isn't huge but noticeable and it takes more time to overheat them

cheers