Fuse box melted on battery

Kevvrs

The black cable (Alternator Cable) has got hot and started to melt due to high resistance in the cable. This is usually caused by either a loose connection, corrostion or poor crimping connection.

Looks like you caught it at a fairly early stage. However I would still suggest replacing the fusebox and the alternator cable to be on the safe side.

Its not too big of a job by all accounts.

Given the location of the "melt" I would suggest that the normal cause (loose nuts or a poorly crimped cabled) aren't the issue here.  I would think that one end of the fuse holder was defective (ie. not gripping the end of the fuse well enough, or the fuse itself was at fault)

Winter = greater load on the electrics if you have headlights, fans, demister, etc turned on.  This will cause the weakest point of the system to fail is there are any issues.

As for being at Longleat, the tigers caused it... they were hungry ;-)

• Like 1

Given the location of the "melt" I would suggest that the normal cause (loose nuts or a poorly crimped cabled) aren't the issue here. I would think that one end of the fuse holder was defective (ie. not gripping the end of the fuse well enough, or the fuse itself was at fault)

I think mbames hss got it spot on with his diagnosis, fuse holder not gripping the fuse properly, causes arcing which increases the resistance at the point of poor contact, this resistance causes heat and this vicious circle continues until something burns out, namely the fuse and fuse holder.

• Like 1

I was checking your picture of you melted battery fuse box and its look like your problem is were it goes the green fuse at the side of the 2 other green fuses.

That melted fuse space belong to the radiator coolings fans 30 amp fuse. Does cooling fans have 2 speeds. Since the low speed is damage in one or the two of them, they are working at hi speed and this overheat the fuse, melting the plastic battery fuse box.

Maybe one or maybe the 2 radiator fans need to be replaced to fix your problem.

I personally experience this same problemo and needed to replace the big radiator fan. Also, instead of replace completely the battery fuse box, I just use a aftermarket stereo fuse holder and conect it directly to the battery post to give power to the fans.

Check this tread were they explain how to check if the 2 speed radiator fans are working ok. "MAKE SURE" you read several times the explication there so you undertand how the 2 speed works in order that you find the damage electric cooling fan that is giving you the problem................. If you install a new battery fuse box without fixing/replacing the bad cooling fan, it will melt again!

http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/4773-fan-problem-poll-synopsis/#449470

Also, you can made a search on the net for: VW radiator fans problem and you will see similar battery fuse melted problems

Good luck,

Isaac

Edited by Turbo_Boss
  • Like 2

I've checked fan operation and there workin ok at low speed with aircon on but as soon as I start the car and turn aircon on the black alternater cable is instantly very very hot it suspect this is at fault

Are the parts from the golf 1.8t the same as the mk1 octy vrs ? Ie fuse box cable fans I have access to these parts I'm not payin Skoda 50 quid for a length of wire lol

Turbo boss, I don't fully agree with your statement "If you install a new battery fuse box without fixing/replacing the bad cooling fan, it will melt again!"

I was under the impression that the purpose of a fuse was to protect the wiring, if you overload it, it pops. The most likely way to get burning like that is poor contact, probably between fuse and fuse holder.

If the cooling fan overloads the fuse it should blow without damaging anything.

Um very true the fans are working ok slow and fast but that black alternator cable gets real hot instantly. In the last few days I've done 260 miles and sat in traffic the fans haven't had a problem haven't melted the new fuse that I Bodged for now but the cable is very hot I'm goin scrappy tomoz to pull a fuse box off a octy but it's a none vrs so not quit sure it's the same as the vrs but it does have climatronic so hoping it's the same I'll take the alternator cable to and clean that up make sure it's crimped proply then hope for the best lol

If the black cable is getting hot, then I would check the crimp connections at both ends.

It may be possible that some Octys might have a thinner (lower current rated) alternator cable (no idea if this is the case, but worth checking that if you source a cable from the scrappy that it is of >= thickness to that of the existing cable).

Um very true the fans are working ok slow and fast but that black alternator cable gets real hot instantly. In the last few days I've done 260 miles and sat in traffic the fans haven't had a problem haven't melted the new fuse that I Bodged for now but the cable is very hot I'm goin scrappy tomoz to pull a fuse box off a octy but it's a none vrs so not quit sure it's the same as the vrs but it does have climatronic so hoping it's the same I'll take the alternator cable to and clean that up make sure it's crimped proply then hope for the best lol

A point to note here, is regardless of you tightening the crimps, fuses and nuts this is now not going to help you. You now have  resistance building up due to the current not being able to pass through the crimps to fuses with correct amps. The resistance may have initially been caused by loose crimps or nuts but the only way to fix is replace the crimps / cable or you risk still having the issue return regardless of you replacing maybe a suspect component like alternator or rad fan.

This maybe the likely reason you have a hot cable as it is not passing current through to the fuse properly. just my 2 pence worth.

• Like 1

Hello Kevvrs,

Regarding my first reply, it was about the melted fuse holder were it goes a green fuse. I read so fast your post that I do not pay atention of what you saying about the black wire from the alternator to the fuse box.

As several members toll you, you need to change the black wire.  There are a lots of post about this same problem in several VW and SEAT forums.

Regarding your green fuse holder, I experience the same problem and in my case, I never saw my engine overheated. I just caught this problem by casuality during cleaning and saw the melt problem.

During testing of my fans, they work ok in both speeds but if I took a tool and hammer in the back of the motor of the big fan its stop.  So I am pretty sure that during using my car, the low speed was not working, the engine heated a little more and this kick the hi speed to work almost full time, making the fuse to get hot.

My best advise is to double check your fans. It will be a PITA to install a new fuse box to have the same problem again.

Here are some pictures of my problem.

Good luck,

Isaac

Imagen1_zps20bba59a.jpg

Imagen3_zps9a8b31b5.jpg

Imagen2_zps81983b3c.jpg