Adaptive cruise control

I was told the same when I ordered mine, the new cruise allows the driver of a manual car to select the best gear without turning cruise off.

For example you are cruising in 6th at 57 mph (unlikely I know) and come up to a steep hill and need to move down to 5th or 4th you can just change gear, the old cruise would be turned off and you would have to use the resume button.

Yes i will admit, i do like the fact the clutch doesnt deactivate it.

Are there CC systems out there without a resume button? I'm yet to encounter one.

The Ford may have had one, but it would have been one of the buttons away from the speed up and slow down buttons. I never used it if it did. I shall go out and check. 

OK, so some people like the resume button. I prefer to use my foot, as the car usually speeds up quicker, or i have full control of how quick i speed up.

However, the Ford system is so simple and natural to use, all you have to do is keep your thumb pressed down on the '+' button, and away you go.

The Skoda/ VAG system would be better with better placed buttons, larger buttons, and the resume button kept away from the speed up/ slow down buttons. As it is, if you want to speed up with the Skoda, on Cruise (after braking), but dont want the old stored speed, you have to press the bottom button before then pressing the upper button. On the Ford, its simply pressing down on the '+' button. As i say. Less fiddly, and much more natural. One Skovirg gets fully used to the Skoda system, as i just about have, I think his main problem will just be how fiddly and unnatural it is compared to a Ford.

But hey, all cars have some good points and some bad points. A Ford Mondeo drives and handles better, and I think has nicer suspension, and has a simpler Cruise, but overall internally the Octy is a simpler layout, and I think a nicer interior. Octy is better looking as well. Its a case of finding a car that has more plus points to negative points. Overall the Octy has a fair amount of plus points.

Regarding the Ford system, and the resume button. Yes. It does seem to have one. On the right hand side of the steering wheel you have 3 buttons. From top to bottom: 'Res'- '+'- '-'

The left hand side has one and off.

Shimples :happy:

I am yet to find a CC system that requires any more than a bit of common sense to use it. Having said that, buttons on the steering wheel are always my preferred choice as you can keep the hands on the wheel.

I use 'cancel' and 'resume' quite regularly as it works quite niceley if you are approaching slower traffic. No brakes needed. Essentially...I am just lazy.

By the way, am I the only one who is a bit paranoid and regularly switches off the CC completely to delete the last 'set speed'. I am always a bit worried that I might get pulled over and the friendly gendarme points at the setting of the CC (which may or may not be more than 70 mph) and then says something about 'deliberate act', prison, loss of license...then I usually wake up.

Happy New Year.

I am yet to find a CC system that requires any more than a bit of common sense to use it.

Oh most are just a case of getting used to, but some are still easier to use than others.

For example, switching on and off on the Skoda is stupid. Twice ive activated the indicators whilst doing it, and it is so unnatural its mad.

Oh most are just a case of getting used to, but some are still easier to use than others.

For example, switching on and off on the Skoda is stupid. Twice ive activated the indicators whilst doing it, and it is so unnatural its mad.

I just use my middle finger to push the rocker switch to the right, as easy as pressing a button.

If you want a new cruise speed after breaking, you either use your right foot then press the set speed button, or if it's a new faster cruise speed then previously used, you just hold the resume button and it will continue to increase speed which sounds exactly the same as the ford system ??

I just use my middle finger to push the rocker switch to the right, as easy as pressing a button.

It isnt as natural as pressing the off button on the Ford. Nowhere near. Your fingers need to move a lot more. It has more resistance (as its a switch) so more effort is needed. Then there is switching it on. I need to think about it, so as not to activate the indicators. It takes my mind off the road a little. I wouldnt switch it on whilst going 70 down the motorway, going round a slight bend and passing a large lorry. The Ford doesnt take any thinking about.

As i keep saying. Yes it is easy once you are used to it, but it isnt as easy or as natural as the Ford system.

I dont see why you keep trying to argue against this. Its only a minor thing against the Octy. Every car has something about it which is better elsewhere. Only the most ardent of Skoda fan boys would try and argue anything else.

If you want a new cruise speed after breaking, you either use your right foot then press the set speed button, or if it's a new faster cruise speed then previously used, you just hold the resume button and it will continue to increase speed which sounds exactly the same as the ford system ??

So if you keep hold of the resume button it doesnt go back to the last stored speed? It will instead speed up from where you are?

OK, easy to use when you realise, but backs up my point that it isnt as natural as the Ford. In fact, its an extra reason why its not as natural.

No, it isnt the same as the Ford system. Ford have a seperate resume button.

Resume- Increase- Decrease

Haven't got mine yet so I'm not so sure but, without the right foot rest I wonder if I'm gonna use the cruise control ? I might have to gripfill a bit of 3 X 2 to the footwell.

Regards

T

Would be nice, but just fold your leg up by the bottom of the seat, or stretch out between the pedals. I do a bit of both.

Could be better yes, but nothing that stops me using Cruise.

Thread is titled 'Adaptive Cruise' but seems to be more about standard cruise, or am I confused?

Anyway, ACC is the stand-out option imo. I love it, had a quick read of the manual before heading out and within a few miles I was completely comfortable with it. Superb.

• Like 1

Hows that annoying, press up on resume and it takes it back to where it was as it should and press down to set speed :/, then if you want to go faster either accelerate and press set or quickly press the up. Easy

Who said it was annoying?

It seems mine is faulty. I'll get it in and checked out.

In my limited experience the most intuitive CC system is the the one on the Audi A4. It has a separate stalk just below the indicator. Press button on the end to set, brief push away to disengage, brief pull forward to resume, push up to speed up, down to slow down in 1mph increments or hold longer to increase/decrease in 5mph increments. Speed set displayed in maxi dot. Simple, effective. you can keep both hands on wheel as the stalk can be moved with middle fingers

• Like 2

Haven't got mine yet so I'm not so sure but, without the right foot rest I wonder if I'm gonna use the cruise control ? I might have to gripfill a bit of 3 X 2 to the footwell.

Regards

T

My last car, which I owned for almost 7 years, had an excellent control system with buttons under the right spoke of the steering wheel and a separate on-off button on the dash.  However, I used it less than a dozen times as there was no right foot rest so the most comfortable place for my right foot was on the accelerator!

Having owned a MkII FL Octavia vRS for 6 months I have certainly used the CC more than in 7 years with the previous car.  Why no footrest in the MkIII Octavia?  Are the pedals further to the right?

Edited by philbes

In my limited experience the most intuitive CC system is the the one on the Audi A4. It has a separate stalk just below the indicator. Press button on the end to set, brief push away to disengage, brief pull forward to resume, push up to speed up, down to slow down in 1mph increments or hold longer to increase/decrease in 5mph increments. Speed set displayed in maxi dot. Simple, effective. you can keep both hands on wheel as the stalk can be moved with middle fingers

it sounds like CC in the Octavia is no different than the setup in my old Fabia and I had no problems with it.

If this thread was still on about ACC, then Bristolf2b that is exactly how it works on the Octavia and is brilliant.

Just turn on leave turned on all the time.  The first time you are at the speed you want to cruise at either press the button on the end of the extra stalk (or I think I have done this as well pull the stalk towards you) and cruise is set. 

With ACC the car then will slow down with slower traffic in front,  If you need to overtake indicate first and the car will start to accelerate as you move over.

To set a new speed while cruising press the button on the end of the extra stalk or use the stalk to adjust your speed.

• Like 2

Been for a short drive today (and because I am lazy) used ACC and activated it for the first time by just pulling the ACC stalk towards me to resume cruise and the ACC was active with the speed set.

This was the same in my 2006 Passat, excellent system, especially the +/- 5mph feature. ACC would nave been worth the extra, had it been an option when I ordered as I found it a great feature in my Father in Law's SMax, shame, I was too early as the radar was not yet available, and shame they have not yet reinstated this on latest builds, can't still be supply issues, must be penny pinching on spec by SUK!

• 3 months later...

the new octavia no longer has an accelerator which pivots from the floor , it is now pivoting from above.

This design leaves less room on the RIght hence no right hand foot rest

the new octavia no longer has an accelerator which pivots from the floor , it is now pivoting from above.

This design leaves less room on the RIght hence no right hand foot rest

I suspect it's more to do with cruise control not being standard, as without cruise whats the point of the footrest.......