Front axle tramp

Norry

Trying to do a moderately smart exit from a side road when it's a bit damp always causes axle tramp on our 1.4 16V.

Is this a problem on all Fabias?  If it happenss on the low power models how is it controlled on the high power versions? 

Thanks

Norry

Your right foot is how it's controlled.

My old 430bhp Octavia would spin up at 90/100mph in the wet if you floored it...

Any amount of lock on will cause a fwd car to soon in the wet.... You could get uprated engine mounts/stays to prevent twist and wheel hop.

Steve

• Like 1

The VRS has settings for the diff that can be altered with VCDS but it is really easy to light the front tyres up regardless.

I always hang back at traffic lights or roundabouts which have that anti slip tarmac (cream coloured stuff) this means I can hit the throttle harder and the car grips and gets going on the extra grippy road surface.

Trying to do a moderately smart exit from a side road when it's a bit damp always causes axle tramp on our 1.4 16V.

Is this a problem on all Fabias?  If it happenss on the low power models how is it controlled on the high power versions? 

Thanks

Norry

It's probably not axle tramp, but the epc traction control kicking in as you power away (if you have that feature). Makes a noise just like the axle tramping. If you don't have that feature it's just the spin effect. The Fabia's are no worse than any other front drive car for front wheel spin.

Axle Tramp is when the wheel hops due to the suspension being overpowered by the power sent to the roadwheel.

People sometimes say axle tramp when they actually just mean a lack of traction, they are not the same.

Wheelspin is not axle tramp.  I suspect the OP means wheelspin or the traction control cutting in due to a lack of grip.

thought axle tramp happened on rear wheel cars with an axle! fwd cars do not have an axle,

i span the wheels on the misses 107 and it jumps and bangs like a good un, think its a grip thing, so think this is what he could possibly mean,

thought axle tramp happened on rear wheel cars with an axle! fwd cars do not have an axle,

i span the wheels on the misses 107 and it jumps and bangs like a good un, think its a grip thing, so think this is what he could possibly mean,

OK, originally it was called "axle tramp" on rear wheel drive live axles (the last one I had that would do it was a 1960 Ford Anglia - our 1982 Capri 2.8i never did it and I've not owned anything else since with a live axle) but the effect is the same on a front wheel drive - each front wheel grips and spins and bounces violently causing a loud banging sound, usually with some steering lock on as pulling out of side road in damp conditions.

The car has only done about 4,000 miles so tyres are good.  Our old Felicia would not do it nearly as easy as the Fabia.

I have never had it happen on the Yeti.